WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Feb 20, 2014.

1. kulata

kulata Senior member

The tie being matchy with the shoes and pants IMHO

I should have two fits that qualify for this thread

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

first off, thanks for the heads up on this thread, clags. :mad:

oh ed, always fightin the good fight, bustin cerkle jerks, and now internationally!

in any case, i dont like the bottom fit. i think its because i hate those pants with a fiery passion.

as far as "good taste" in the top block is concerned, i imagine the bottom is considered more tasteful as the top was an intentional brown overload. personally, i like the top one a lot better all around though.

3. in stitches

dont think these were posted yet, forgive me if they were.

4. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ed, thanks for posing this question and Stitch for being a good sport as always.

So to shake the trees a bit: why not try saturated darker blue flannels here in both fits?

I keep toying with the idea of getting some a pair of blue trousers though I figure I'll put it on and just be annoyed. The thing is, aside from much of the richness of the brown, there's a monochrome in the first and in the second, the standard mid gray is the workhorse but one just feels like we've been there and done that (and Stitch, I admire your fits...this is just about something different...actually I'm wearing gray on bottom, brown on top today). A saturated, deep blue might just add something more chromatic beyond the brown. In the first fit, might in the end work as a chromatic charcoal would (dark on bottom, light on top). I'm thinking of a dark blue towards midnight, but something that would hint at its blueness in the first, something a little more mid blue in the second.

On the second, which I like better as its not so monochromatic, I wonder if you popped out the suede for calf, perhaps in a shade a little further from the jacket. I like the light gray tie and darker gray on top, a nice resonance of gray (it is gray on top, right?).

Still...I'm convinced I'd hate any navy trousers I buy.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

5. in stitches

6. in stitches

tweedy, for the most part, navy trou will get little to no love here (though other shades of blue do get more love), all the same, i have a pair that i like very much and do not hesitate to wear. i just rarely post them.

7. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Right... the question is whether they would add a different dimension to your fit in a positive way? I can see myself reaching for mid-gray/chocolate brown/tan even charcoal before reaching for navy, but why?

You know me, all professorial: I need a principle!

8. in stitches

it just is! lol

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I figure we should update only a few times a month in terms of fit so that the pictures end up nicely clustered. Easier to pick out patterns in our choices among other things. But definitely good to know I'll have some help [​IMG]

10. in stitches

suck it. i update as i please. WHAT NOW HUH?!

11. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Like several of the rules that get referenced here, I think the navy trouser 'rule' is only something to guide beginners away from making bad basic choices. I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with navy trousers (or indeed moss green or burgundy or other 'difficult' colours other than the mid-grey, charcoal and brown defaults) once you know more what you are doing - and you do, don't you? [​IMG] So, if you think they look good and you like them, why not post them?

12. in stitches

its almost never worth dealing with the bull shit, thats why.

13. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a mid blue linen-wool suit in the works that I'm pretty excited about because it'll give me several blue pants options. The jacket will go well with some navy pants and then the blue pants themselves, though not navy, will give me some freedom to work with several of my linen jackets in something outside of gray.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I understand where you're coming from, but you shouldn't refrain from posting your navy pents, or any outfits that are not 'approved' for that matter. SF is awesome, and everyone on it is too, but it wouldn't hurt to break the group think once in a while. So please, post as many navy trousers as you like and ignore the bull shit, but know that there are lots of people who do like seeing unapproved fits.

15. in stitches

intellectually i agree 100%, especially as a natural born contrarian anti authority kind of guy, but after a while you kind of get tired of fighting the same lame battles. nonetheless, you make a very fair point, and i will try and remember that next time i find myself adorned with navy pents. : )