1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Feb 20, 2014.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

It looks like traffic in the WAYWRN thread is rather slow at the moment and as a consequence, fits that IMO would in normal circumstances easily hit the 20+ mark, now have trouble reaching that. It would be wrong to conclude that SF members dress less well during the summer months, wouldn't it? What to do about this?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  2. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

See...I actually think this is the case. Unless one has a large seasonable wardrobe (as @unbelragazzo preaches), generally sacrifices are made in summer.

Anyway, we don't do anything. Just wait until fall. And appreciate the few excellent summer fits that do trickle in.

3. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

It may well be that overall people make compromises during summer and dress less sharp, but my point was that individual fits of a quality that would easily earn them 20+ thumbs, now get stuck with less, just because it seems fewer people are visiting the WAYWRN thread. But I agree, it's probably best just to let things take their course and appreciate the good summer fits. (I still miss that dressing for specific seasons, one drawback of living in the tropics...)

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

I agree with Elio. I'm not used to a lot of heat, today it was around 30 C for us and I wanted to be in my underwear. :lol:

I try to make my meetings in a place where it's fresh so I can wear a jacket and tie but if I have to walk, damn, I hate it. Haha.

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Living in both Shanghai and Australia, I need a four-season wardrobe. Maximum temperatures in Shanghai mid-winter can be less than zero Celsius; midsummer in Melbourne can hit 45. (And in January, I might cop both extremes at either end of a flight.)

Come spring and autumn, I used to ferry the twoentire seasonal collections back and forth in my luggage (over three trips or so). Major pain. Now I've fully relocated back to Aus, it's no longer necessary, I just pack what I need for Shanghai each time; storing a few basics there during my absence (black shoes x1pr, brown shoes x1pr, couple shirts, couple trousers, socks, undies, a few ties).

Anyway the point is, I need a wide range of clothes for all seasons. Last fit I posted on WAYWRN was a full-blown winter rig even though Sydney wasn't that cold last week. But cold enough.

[​IMG]

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Here it's always around 35C. Only difference is that for a few months it's wet and humid and for the rest of the year it's dry and sunny. Quite boring, TBH.

7. Claghorn

Basically, during the summer, if I wear a jacket, I take an air conditioned taxi everywhere during the day. They're inexpensive compared to the US, nice compared to the US, and I can get work done in them. Or just close my eyes and unwind.

8. Claghorn

I'm thinking something along the lines of what was done earlier, asking various posters for their five favorite fits. This time, however, getting groups of posters associated with certain looks. For example, I might ask Manton, Pingson, Cleav, and two other folks for their five favorite CBD looks. I'd put myself forward as someone able to select exemplary examples of the security guard look (blue jacket, gray pants). Timo would be another choice judge for that category. Dunno. Just thoughts. But it would take at least a month and I imagine some chasing of folks even after they agree to act as an arbiter for certain looks. And I don't think that the outfits would necessarily need to come from the Composite thread, but it would be nice if they were all SF members, as tempting as it would be to look for examples elsewhere.

Categories I'm thinking of:

Ties: brown tie, burgundy tie, bright tie, green tie, knit tie, striped tie, neat tie
    Jackets: blue jacket, brown jacket, odd colored jacket, loud jacket, patterned jacket, double breasted jacket/suit
    Looks: Sprezz, CBD, security guard, country, spring/summer
    Shirts: striped, spread, OCBD
    Suits: navy, gray, striped

There are some looks I left off simply because we don't have enough examples of them (large scale patterned ties, for instance)

@LA Guy , would something like this be front page material? Assuming proper organization and presentation.

1 person likes this.
  9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

@Claghorn - yes, for sure. That actually sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yes, lets make compilations. i have been wanting to do a stitchys' fave looks (not his own) compendium, for a while.

i would not say i dress less well, but i would say in the summer i dress less photo-worthy. im mostly in dress pants, usually wool, sometimes dressier cotton, and a dress shirt, usually BD collar. jacket are and tie are usually not to be found unless i just have that urge to dress up even though i know i will be in misery any moment i am outdoors. those days i take pics.

considering what i end up wearing most days, i am rarely compelled to take a pic and post it, as there is not much to be learned from it and the fits are generally not noteworthy, even if good (lol of course i look good).

1 person likes this.
  11. Claghorn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People's Choice: Cart (41 thumbs)
    Claghorn's Jury Prize: MrChris
    Best Summer OUtfit: Holdfast / upr_crust

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    2 people like this.
  12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

One of my fit pics got lost in that last batch. Probably a copy-paste thing:

1 person likes this.
  13. Claghorn

Yes. Damn it. Elio, if the fit is good, repost, don't cross post. I think the quote of quotes doesn't pick it up :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

that is correct. when i do a list, if i see a post in WAYWRN is a cross post quote, i right click to open image in new tab, make a note of the posters name, and then add the url with the img code around it into the empty quote when i put it here.

but yeah, would be easier if the actual WAYWRN post was not a quote.

1 person likes this.
  15. Claghorn

Yeah! Let's all shift the blame to Elio and away from the asshole who made the mistake!

1 person likes this.
  16. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

^ LOL, but I'll follow your advice and repost instead of cross post (but that means I'm being presumptuous enough to think my fits are good [​IMG])

17. in stitches

another little batch of compositry to keep things running here..

18. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

you missed your own post buddy~

19. in stitches

actually, my computer is being stupid slow, so i gave up after a few pages, hence the small batch. i guess my fit will make the next batch. :)

20. Claghorn

[​IMG]

People's Choice: Elio (31)
    Claghorn's Jury Prize: upr_crust
    SF Uniform (navy and gray): Claghorn (2nd pic) / Henry Carter / Cleav

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    5 people like this.