• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm also surprised at disproportionate number of loud suits and jackets that get thumbs. I guess it's the novelty?

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm also surprised at disproportionate number of loud suits and jackets that get thumbs. I guess it's the novelty?

That's an easy one. The louder it is, the more it stands out amongst all the different fits. It's not just the novelty, but also the fact that it's simply more noticeable.

I guess this goes into why people give thumbs? Is it because they think the outfit is great, or because they like that person, the photography, the fact that it's out of the ordinary, a certain detail might pop, or they simply appreciate the effort to try something different even though it failed?

I'm sure there are equally as many reasons to give thumbs as there are posters, but questioning the validity of thumbs as an indicator of a good outfit is probably outside of the scope of this thread. Anyway, I suppose I'm just playing devils advocate here.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I'd say that it's more noticeable is largely a factor of its novelty. Though I suppose it gets seen here more than in real life, they only crop up, well executed, maybe 1 out of every 20 fits. If it were more routine, they'd get less thumbs.

All this also makes me wonder: is their an acceptable "loud" pattern other than large scale windowpane/PoW type stuff? And loud patterns work better in suits than in jackets.

As far as thumbs as a measure of quality: clearly there are too many factors at play, but it's the best we have in terms of aggregate subjectivity as a proxy for objectivity.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For those to be loud, they'd need to either be very bright or very large scale. And neither gun club or houndstooth work big.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Been a while ...

A little chilly this morning so i was finally able to throw on some cashmere.

full-er length shot with awful lighting.

first flannels of the season for me. YAY!

Ercoles except the tie (Yellow Hook Necktie Co.) and the boots (Carmina x Epaulet)

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
(Brown) TTO and MOL for me.

AJL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(Brown) TTO and MOL for me.

MOL right in your wheelhouse (thought it was you for a moment, though frankly I think you do it a smidge better). Digging Braddock myself--brown grenadine now on my radar.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Loving this thread, Clags. Thanks for all the work you're putting into it.

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, never expected my picture to make it to this thread :)

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
so just to keep this from being a balls to the wall international circle jerk (not that there is anything wrong with that), I just want to offer two pics from this thread for critical thought. I'm using stitches cause he's my hitta and he's always open to criticism (and he knows when to brush it off), there are a few others that I could use but I don't know the posters.

For me, one of these works and one really doesn't. What do you guys think when you see these side by side?

"]

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
so just to keep this from being a balls to the wall international circle jerk (not that there is anything wrong with that), I just want to offer two pics from this thread for critical thought. I'm using stitches cause he's my hitta and he's always open to criticism (and he knows when to brush it off), there are a few others that I could use but I don't know the posters.

For me, one of these works and one really doesn't. What do you guys think when you see these side by side?

"]
hmm. I think the 2nd one is better. Don't know what it is, but somthing seems off about the first.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

"]
I gotta say the second one for me as well. But there is something a bit off about both. In the first, I think the tie takes all the brown over the top. The second, the shirt feels too dark for that tie (or the tie too dark for that sure).

And Ed, you and everyone else are able to use the archive of 20+ fits for any purpose. Definitely like the idea of comparing fits. After I get through the backlog (I decided to start from September) I'll probably update twice a month with new batches of pictures.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics