WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Feb 20, 2014.

1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I think discussion in general is sometimes lacking or less satisfying than it could be ("looks good, sir!" doesn't always add much not that it's bad), but I hesitate to make comments, especially about the "greats" because frankly, I'm a noob. For example, you mentioned a too wide tie before, and I actually noticed it but hesitated to say anything. I will gladly chime in more with my opinion on peeps' stuff, if people think it would be beneficial to the threak. I also want to avoid spewing off nonsense when I don't know what I'm talking about and degrading the quality of the thread that way.

2. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Braddock got 50+ I think. Probs the MC record.

Kulatas fit now has 20, but it was after the last fit I posted. It will be in the next batch.

---

Will address Clags post later tonight. :)

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I know the fit. I think if he was posting currently, VictorSF could probably hit 50 as well.

4. in stitches

5. in stitches

as to your post about conversation generating fits, the way i see it is as follows. by your admission, you wear navy suits and SCs more than maybe anyone in the world. assuming you dont suck, which you dont, how much is there really to talk about when it comes to a blue SC, gray or brown trousers, a blue or blue striped shirt, and a solid or striped or neat tie?

its a classic combo and thats about it. obviously it can be anywhere from good to outstanding, but there is not much to talk about there. the most outstanding version will get more thumbs and more, "that is awesome" follow up posts than the good or great versions, but thats about it.

for example, in your post with the wide stripe tie, i did not like the tie, that was just me personally, but it went well with what you wore. outside of liking or not liking the tie, there was not much else to discuss. it was a nice fit, not great, but very solid and nothing to really harp on. and lets be real here, a tie that may be 1/2 an inch too wide for the lapels is not really a conversation starter.

i have found with my fits personally, that the ones that get the most likes and the most complimentary 3 word post replies, get the least meaty conversation. its usually when i do something questionable or boundary pushing that i find it generates conversation. light tan shoes and a navy suit, PoW tie + socks + suit all together, red socks! ....things like that tend to get the masses talking. i dont do things like that just to get conversation started, i do it because i like trying things out and i liked those combinations, so i wore them. all the same, i found that when i did that, it generated much more conversation than my "better" fits where there was just not much to analyze.

since you dont seem to have much interest in wearing things that really push any lines or significantly test any boundaries, it does not surprise me that you are under discussed. i am not saying that in a bad way, just that i doubt you are going to out of your way to wear things that you dont particularly like just to start conversation. you know your style, you know what you like, and you wear it well. some days are better than others, but its all legit and its all pretty straight forward.

thats how i see it anyways.

6. Claghorn

Magnificent.

Though, ok, to nitpick, the square in the overcoat is a little silly.

Pretty much how I see it as well. My favorite basketball team is the San Antonio Spurs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  7. in stitches

yes, yes it is magnificent, and yes the overcoat PS is a bit much.

8. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I get it.. the spurs are a team that is supremely efficient and have been the best team in the NBA this year but you would never know because they are so not flashy.. outsiders looking in would say the Heat or the Thunder.. they have more allstars and a flashier game.. but they cannot hold a candle to the Spurs.. thats how I view your style Clags.. I know I never comment much because I dont have the time too and I really feel that style and fits are so intimate to the wearer that who am I to say that does not work. However, Clags, you are very consistent. You rarely dazzle but those who know quality know that you look great in what you wear. Rarely ever a fit issue and color coordination is always on point. You have a very simple aesthetic that you rarely deviate from..but you always look superb.. Stitches is a little more adventurous with the colors, different suiting styles and textures.. if asked to choose between both.. I would not know who to pick.. especially as it seems Clags that you have stepped it up recently (if thats even possible).. Just my two cents..

9. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

It seems like that from my limited posting/reading experience there are certain WAYWRN people that reach a fit point where almost everything they post lays somewhere between quality/acceptable and effing awesome.

Clags, I feel that you reach this point on at least 80% of your fits (maybe more), and since you rely on the classic navy blazer/grey pants combo (which is totally fine) people are happy to thumb and move on, as opposed to a more "experimental" fit that may succeed or fail at an extraordinary level.

Perhaps this is why longtime WAYWRN posters eventually move on. For purposes of clarity, I don't want you to leave Clags, just exploring the psychology of those who choose to do so.

10. in stitches

i think their departure was more due to the social aspect of SF changing so much. but as well, they just ran out of things to talk about that they had not talked about already.

also, i want clags to leave because he is a tool bag asshoal.

11. AJL

AJL Senior member

Circumstances, responsibilities and priorities change. People absorb, or are absorbed by others, as much as they need to and then either moderate their participation, or move on as interest and external influence dictates. Does anyone really believe that stitchie (stitchie & perhaps more importantly, mrs stitchie, included) will have logged in somewhere in the neighborhood of 117,600 posts by 10/2017? Let alone still be participating in any meaningful way.

I've been around for longer than most, but have come & gone for long stretches at a time. Not that my candle has burned bright: based on post count alone, I've caused barely a ripple on the surface of SF (perusing the content of my posts would erase any lingering doubt). It's possible I may be drifting in and out over the next 10 yrs or so, should SF still be a viable entity. Might even have a decent fit pic put together by then.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  12. Claghorn

a) top notch post
    b) Stitchy will reach 120k
    c) Stitchy hasn't contributed meaningfully since 2009.

13. AJL

AJL Senior member

Though he might be forgiven his excess in part, as it's also a form of advertising. Btw, I am the proud possessor of the same tie on view in this glorious display. Unfortunately, there is no Venn diagram wherein Braddock and I share any additional sartorial common points of reference. Including the ability to effortlessly knot said tie.

14. in stitches

Where can I acquire this tie?

Also, clags, way to prove my post. Toolbag.

15. Claghorn

[​IMG]