1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN Composite -- 25 thumb minimum

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Feb 20, 2014.

1. sebastian mcfox

sebastian mcfox Senior member

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

@jcmeyer is on fire. Glad to see this thread is still going.

You know what might generate a bit of discussion? Those who are curating should pull one post that didn't make the threshold but was close (or heck, not even close) but is felt by the curator to merit inclusion here (e.g. it is no worse than some of those that do make the cut). Then there can be a brief discussion of why it was chosen.

2 people like this.
  4. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

You're a poet and I didn't know it!

2 people like this.
  5. sugarbutch

I think Clags started a thread on a very similar topic.

1 person likes this.
  6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  7. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

It's a shame our dedicated critique threads don't blossom more. I got a lot of benefit out of the now defunct "Constructive Criticism Thread."

2 people like this.
  8. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Yeah, those kinds of threads are great but since they depend on voluntary participation it can be hard to keep them going. I do wish we had something like the good taste thread going strong right now though.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Makes me happy to hear! I actually ended up making it twice, having forgotten about the first time I tried to do it.

Ah, hell, I'll give it another go.

Also, I like this line: how very, very, entirely silly we all are

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  10. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

:fistbump: And the last couple of days have been sillier than most. GNA got a rebranding and WAYWRN is :facepalm:

I have another batch for this thread 98% done - will post tonight or tomorrow!

EDIT: Beat me to it! I have some stats you can add then if you want, Clags. I'll hop on the next batch this weekend.

11. Claghorn

@Adolesco
    [​IMG]

@luv2breformed
    [​IMG]

@Gerry Nelson
    [​IMG]

@sebastian mcfox
    [​IMG]

@Pliny
    [​IMG]

@Murlsquirl
    [​IMG]

@Gino Abruzzo
    [​IMG]

Gerry Nelson
    [​IMG]

@sugarbutch
    [​IMG]

@bienluienapris
    [​IMG]

@blekit
    [​IMG]

@Dennis Walter
    [​IMG]

@Anden
    [​IMG]

@upr_crust
    [​IMG]

murlsquirl
    [​IMG]

@Pasteur
    [​IMG]

@Andy57
    [​IMG]
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...rt-iv-starting-may-2014/34260_20#post_8356278

People's Choice: Murlsquirl (58)
    Claghorn's Jury Prize: Murlsquirl / Anden / pasteur
    Best suit: sugarbutch / dennis walter / Andy47

5 people like this.
  12. sugarbutch

13. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

@vriche 41 [​IMG] @Braddock 40 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] @Tom Miler 28 [​IMG] @Poszetka 31 [​IMG] @sebastian mcfox 49 [​IMG] @Sander 29 [​IMG] @upr_crust 25 [​IMG] @Roycru 28 [​IMG] @Claghorn 27 [​IMG] [​IMG] @Anden 26 [​IMG] @SYCSYC 28 [​IMG] @Andy57 40 [​IMG] @Newcomer 32 [​IMG] @Shen 34 [​IMG] @Braddock 35 [​IMG] @Pliny 25 [​IMG] @Claghorn 42 [​IMG] @Murlsquirl 42 [​IMG] @DonCologne 28 [​IMG] @Andy57 34 [​IMG] Next batch begins here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...ing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/34545 Stats! Date Range: March 8 - 14, 2016 25+ Posts: 20 Total Thumbs: 664 Avg. per Post: 33.2 (this is the lowest average yet since I started tracking, you should all be ashamed of yourselves) Median Post: 31.5 Range: 25 - 49 People's Choice: McFoxybritches, despite his shirt choice. ;) And listen, I know this is the "best of" thread, but I'd like to take this opportunity to call out some rampant cheating, so we'll do it awards style... JM's Awards for Cheating in WAYWRN (and therefore in life):
    • Braddock - posting four fits in one entry so I have no choice but to let all four in; greedy cheater (looking at you too on that one, Clags)
    • Tom Miler - intimidating everyone into clicking the like button by staring at us till we do; bully cheater
    • Crusty - somehow getting a bright red tie past security and into this thread; know-better cheater
    • Clags - never posting full fits and somehow always here because he understands lighting or whatever; artsy cheater
    • Shen - God dammit, man, post more often, you're cheating everyone by not doing so
    • Syc & Andy - What are you two gazing out at? Are you trying to see whether Roycru in those pants could get your significant others to cheat on you? Well I'll tell you, he totally could, but he won't, because he wouldn't do that. But he would buy them a cookie and a glass of champagne. For sure he would do that.

10 people like this.
  14. Claghorn

Whenever someone posts 2+ fits, I just pick the one I like the most and post it. Sometimes I'll post multiple. But if one doesn't strike my fancy, I absolutely leave it out. Because they were cheating to begin with and should be grateful for whatever they get.

15. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

@Gerry Nelson 31
    [​IMG]
    @An Acute Style 31 [​IMG] @StanleyVanBuren 27 [​IMG] @Anden 46 [​IMG] @Sander 52 [​IMG] @TheoProf 32 [​IMG] @Andy57 28 [​IMG] @SeaJen 32 [​IMG] @SYCSYC 42 [​IMG] @Prince of Paisley 29 [​IMG] @Gerry Nelson 35 [​IMG] @Coxsackie 40 [​IMG] @upr_crust 27 [​IMG] @Anden 30 [​IMG] @sebastian mcfox 43 [​IMG] @Claghorn 27 [​IMG] @Mr. Six 45 [​IMG] @SYCSYC 35 [​IMG] @Gerry Nelson 33 [​IMG] Next batch begins here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...ing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/34680 Stats! Date Range: March 14 - 16, 2016 25+ Posts: 20 Total Thumbs: 711 Avg. per Post: 35.55 Median Post: 32.5 Range: 27 - 52 People's Choice: Sander the mander JCM's StyFo Yearbook Signing
    • AAS, I really enjoyed your class. We kept track of the number of times you said "sack jacket" this semester. It was 36. Have a fun summer.
    • Anden, remember how TheoProf told you if you keep making that face it's going to stick that way, and then that one day it did? Hope you pass!
    • SVB, sorry that Vice Principal Andy57 sent you home because he said your quarters were too closed. See you at SW&D summer camp.
    • Mr. Six, good job on getting that 4.0, but remember that no one likes a showoff. Keep in touch!
    • Gerry, just because you're on the yearbook staff doesn't mean you get to put your picture in here so many times.
    • Coxsackie, killer new haircut and congrats on being named "most likely to appear in the next Mad Max movie." Well deserved!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    6 people like this.
  16. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

@Coxsackie 28 [​IMG] @Mr. SIx 45 [​IMG] @EFV 37 [​IMG] @DonCologne 31 [​IMG] @SYCSYC 29 [​IMG] @An Acute Style 35 [​IMG] @Nabilmust 52 [​IMG] @rajesh06 34 [​IMG] @Gerry Nelson 29 [​IMG] @sebastian mcfox 52 [​IMG] @Chocsosa 41 [​IMG] @Tibor 36 [​IMG] @Tom Miler 26 [​IMG] @upr_crust 32 [​IMG] @An Acute Style 34 [​IMG] @SYCSYC 30 [​IMG] @An Acute Style 27 [​IMG] @Andy57 31 [​IMG] @Coxsackie 25 [​IMG] @Sugarbutch 25 [​IMG] Next batch begins here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/394373/...ing-right-now-part-iv-starting-may-2014/34845 People's Choice: Tie between Nabilmust & McFox, but as official Judge Judy and Executioner, I award the prize to Nabil because full-length pic and great hat First Timer's Club: Rajesh06, who posted a couple of times and then disappeared, so maybe this will help get him back in the game Stats! Date Range: March 16 - 19, 2016 (hard to catch up with so many 25+ fits; seems to have been a busy timeframe for the thread) 25+ Posts: 20 Total Thumbs: 679 Avg. per Post: 33.95 Median Post: 31.5 Range: 25 - 52 JCM's Not Feeling Snarky So Just Some Observations Non-Awards
    • Mr. Six shows us how good the plum/wine color spectrum is for ties; I'd argue it beats true burgundy.
    • Tibor gave us a single-breasted suit (I can't recall too many non-DB fits and it's a good one.
    • I've been going back and forth on whether I want my first gunclub jacket to be summer or winter weight - Cox (#2) tipped the scales for me toward summer - that is probably my favorite fit in this set.
    • On the other end of the season spectrum, Crusty further makes the case in my mind that windowpane works better with flannel for winter (I'm assuming it's flannel, it looks fuzzy) - also really like the nip at the waist on this jacket; extremely flattering in conjunction with the vest.
    • AAS is in here three times out of the 20, and for every few he posts that hit 25+ there's at least one that doesn't make it. I'm guessing he accounts for upwards of 10% of the total fits posted in WAYWRN and he deserves a heap of thanks for being such an integral part of what makes that thread tick - constantly providing new ideas regardless of SF orthodoxy and, for me at least, being a strong driver of how to rotate in a plethora of non-solid-mid-grey odd trousers to great success.
    Edit: Just remembered this Roger Sterling fit that reminds me of something we'd see from AAS :cheers: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    6 people like this.
  17. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Thanks for the kind words. :Fist bump:

18. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

"On the other end of the season spectrum, Crusty further makes the case in my mind that windowpane works better with flannel for winter (I'm assuming it's flannel, it looks fuzzy) - also really like the nip at the waist on this jacket; extremely flattering in conjunction with the vest."

You are correct - the fabric is a lightweight flannel, with a nap, and It's good that most of my windowpane patterned suits are winter-weight - at least to conform to your judgments. As for the cut of the jacket, it is the reason that Paul Stuart has become my retailer of choice for suits, as much as I am able to stay faithful to any one retailer.

19. Claghorn

Odd things that stood out:

- That my picture with literally nothing but a bit of jacket, shirt, pant and the end of a tie showing made the cut
    - That JCM let that slide without snarky comment
    - That EFV only garnered 37 thumbs with that stump fit.
    - I hope that Anden talks like Steve Martin as a wild and crazy guy

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  20. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

You know what you did. That's enough punishment.

2 people like this.