• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@An Acute Style with a contrast collar?! Is this real life?
This picture is from 11/7/2011. I still have that shirt, jacket and tie. I actually wore the jacket last week in my controversial navy, gray, camel color combo. I haven't worn the shirt and tie in a while.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s subjective of course. I think the first looks forced and the second looks natural. Things aren’t always what they seem. Nice look by the way.

This is a picture from my early days. Bad angle and hovering arms. This is not natural for me.

View attachment 1740677
The first was relaxed and natural whereas the second I had to purposely (make a conscious effort) hold my arms in tight.
I was in the fitness industry (personal trainer) in my younger days so I have experience with every body type. My stance is not unusual IRL which is why the thin duke comment struck me as not only incorrect but odd.
The day after thin duke made that post I was running my first errand of the morning to buy dog food. So the arm discussion was apparently still on my mind.
The man in line in front of me (see pic below) was a good example of my point that IRL many men don't have such (narrow?) physiques that their arms hang straight down. In fact it appears that the arms straight down looks to be forced. Just my take of course. After-all we are posing for fit pics.
Maybe when all is said and done I should have been born when we were settling the old west. I'm already set up for
the quick draw.
That will be my last comment on the matter, feedback is appreciated whether accurate or not.

Attachments

• 20220119_092253.jpg
    20220119_092253.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 87

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This picture is from 11/7/2011. I still have that shirt, jacket and tie. I actually wore the jacket last week in my controversial navy, gray, camel color combo. I haven't worn the shirt and tie in a while.
I like the jacket, and it seems to fit the style you've developed. The shirt and tie don't go well with that jacket at all in my opinion, and not something I'd expect to see you posting here for a current fit. The white/blue contrast collar shirt and yellow satin tie often scream Patrick Bateman/Gordon Gecko wannabe. Of course, I know that's not your intent.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the jacket, and it seems to fit the style you've developed. The shirt and tie don't go well with that jacket at all in my opinion, and not something I'd expect to see you posting here for a current fit. The white/blue contrast collar shirt and yellow satin tie often scream Patrick Bateman/Gordon Gecko wannabe. Of course, I know that's not your intent.

The tie is actually a cashmere knit tie by PRL. I wear it occasionally with my Gordon (not Gecko) tartan sport coat or MacLeod of Harris waistcoat. Maybe I'll wear it tomorrow. :lol: I agree the shirt and tie are not the best pairing with the jacket. The pants were navy cotton dockers, if I remember correctly.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first was relaxed and natural whereas the second I had to purposely (make a conscious effort) hold my arms in tight.
I was in the fitness industry (personal trainer) in my younger days so I have experience with every body type. My stance is not unusual IRL which is why the thin duke comment struck me as not only incorrect but odd.
The day after thin duke made that post I was running my first errand of the morning to buy dog food. So the arm discussion was apparently still on my mind.
The man in line in front of me (see pic below) was a good example of my point that IRL many men don't have such (narrow?) physiques that their arms hang straight down. In fact it appears that the arms straight down looks to be forced. Just my take of course. After-all we are posing for fit pics.
Maybe when all is said and done I should have been born when we were settling the old west. I'm already set up for
the quick draw.
That will be my last comment on the matter, feedback is appreciated whether accurate or not.

First, that doesn't even count because he has something in his hands that preclude his hands from falling naturally. :lol:

Secondly, what is natural and what looks natural are two different things. My pose from 2011 was not natural. I used a self timer and would tensed up my body in anticipation of the photo. I froze like a stature or a robot. You're photos look similar, but I understand that it's not the case.

Let's get back to clothes.

:cheers:

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, that doesn't even count because he has something in his hands that preclude his hands from falling naturally. :lol:

Secondly, what is natural and what looks natural are two different things. My pose from 2011 was not natural. I used a self timer and would tensed up my body in anticipation of the photo. I froze like a stature or a robot. You're photos look similar, but I understand that it's not the case.

Let's get back to clothes.

:cheers:
Agreed

Alocin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tie is actually a cashmere knit tie by PRL. I wear it occasionally with my Gordon (not Gecko) tartan sport coat or MacLeod of Harris waistcoat. Maybe I'll wear it tomorrow. :lol: I agree the shirt and tie are not the best pairing with the jacket. The pants were navy cotton dockers, if I remember correctly.

Ah yes, Gordon Salamander of course.

SJTM

Reaction score
the quick draw.
FWIW - I understand the value of constructive critique. That said, I enjoy your fit posts. Please keep them coming.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never post here
6079EF45-4023-4175-B18A-1FD1B65F5F96.jpeg

Drake’s hat and gloves
Begg Arran scarf
Chrysalis Chiltern coat
Shockoe Atelier denim
Yuketen boots

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It wasn't very cold today so I had a chance to wear my brown suede Valstarino, albeit with a chunky cashmere rollneck underneath.

I've worn the rest of this outfit before, more often than I care to admit, but it reminded me again of how much I love wearing this jacket. Simple and understated, not a shouty colour, but the suede gives it a nice luxuriousness which makes it such a pleasure to put on.

IMG_1497.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads