• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fine here. I wish the belt had a more casual buckle. I have a black shawl neck cardigan. I wear it with dark blue jeans, charcoal pants, and dark brown pants. Black is neutral so it goes well with most things. Despite being frowned upon in the menswear world, black clothing is quite versatile IMO.

I never even understood that, to be honest. Black trousers and suits can look fantastic - it's all about the make and how you style it. I finally just put it down to lack of sophistication.

@TheSuitBurnsBetter This one looks good. In the future, try pairing it with tan suits and white trousers. I have one like that in cashmere and silk, and it goes well with these. I keep it as a spring/summer option.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never even understood that, to be honest. Black trousers and suits can look fantastic - it's all about the make and how you style it. I finally just put it down to lack of sophistication.

@TheSuitBurnsBetter This one looks good. In the future, try pairing it with tan suits and white trousers. I have one like that in cashmere and silk, and it goes well with these. I keep it as a spring/summer option.
Don't have white, but I have some light beige linen trousers, maybe that would work well?
Looks fine here. I wish the belt had a more casual buckle. I have a black shawl neck cardigan. I wear it with dark blue jeans, charcoal pants, and dark brown pants. Black is neutral so it goes well with most things. Despite being frowned upon in the menswear world, black clothing is quite versatile IMO.
Yeah I think I need to get over the idea that black doesn't go with anything except shades of gray. I probably could have just forgone the belt altogether.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have white, but I have some light beige linen trousers, maybe that would work well?

Sure, it would depend on the trousers themselves, but I think it could work just as well.

A black polo is one of those things that's easy to ruin - most people would pair it too darkly, with navy, etc. But it's a summer shirt, and better in the sunny months, IMO. You use the dark colour as a contrast with the lighter palette, and it looks cool (as in temperature) but still sharp.

Up in Toronto (are you here?) we tend to get either wet, rainy springs or the most beautiful sunny days with a chilly breeze in the mornings. A black polo is perfect for the latter days: patio cafe, suede mocs, newspaper and croissant and champagne... ugh, I digress.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A black polo is perfect for the latter days: patio cafe, suede mocs, newspaper and croissant and champagne... ugh, I digress.
For now I'll have to settle for my living room, barefoot, phone, a bag of flaming hot cheetos, and a coffee mug of maker's mark.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8a4e7f2d7afa313a9d5ba0d501c942e4c479d42a.jpg
e8c0eac9ebff3f1a0672c8ddda91c79d7a70dcd9.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's probably onto something, since the 70s are back. Get with it, old people! (me included)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads