• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I keep mentioning this whole cool/warm color temperature to you. Here we go again. I'll just shut up about it after this.

The pants are shirt are warm colors and the jacket is a cool color. I don't think they mesh well. The shirt also appears to be quite saturated. It looks nice with the warm pants, but clashes to me with the jacket. I don't think these two browns go well together. Again, one is a cool (grayish) brown while the other is a warm (orange) brown. Beautiful individual items as always.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like I keep mentioning this whole cool/warm color temperature to you. Here we go again. I'll just shut up about it after this.

The pants are shirt are warm colors and the jacket is a cool color. I don't think they mesh well. The shirt also appears to be quite saturated. It looks nice with the warm pants, but clashes to me with the jacket. I don't think these two browns go well together. Again, one is a cool (grayish) brown while the other is a warm (orange) brown. Beautiful individual items as always.

It may seem like I'm not listening... This might have something to do with the lighting, but imo this jacket is fairly neutral irl, maybe even warm-leaning. It has rust, cream and brown flecks over a grey-brown base.

Camilo

Reaction score
For my part, I think afterthesuit looks good. I would rank his outfit higher than most, including most outfits you’ve shared here. I’ve been tired of white/beige/khaki pants so maybe that’s why I especially appreciate his outfit.

WayneLyndon

Reaction score
That is also quite ’scientific’ approach to dressing. If you dress by numbers you’ll look like it too. I’m aware of the ancient rules, also aware how and that they should be broken and I’m quite aware that @An Acute Style knows this all.

In the end, isn’t all that matters does the lady walking towards you find you A) attractive B) not attractive? Isn’t that shat actually counts, even after all this mascular approvement seeking forum-stuff...?

IS IT NOT THIS WHAT ACTuALLY COUNTS? Married guys knows this too: no matter how much you explain the finer things of that stupid watch to her, she’ll just nod ’cause she understands that the watch must mean lot to you, but that watch won’t make her drool after you, now does it...?

I think @afterthesuit looks good in that, funny, exciting and mature way. Not too neurotic in that fit. That outfit, among many good outfits presented here, triggers also my imagination ”hell, this guy knows something”. Hell, that outfit might even work on a date.

I’m also aware the comment from AAS wasn’t too importantand he’ll probably not contemplate these things while sleeping etc.

Last edited:

james.darley

Reaction score
From this weekend, where autumn is in full swing in Upstate NY

3738777F-3A3F-489C-AED5-83029A5348AB.jpeg

1AD5D4FE-0645-43CE-A6F1-8AA291C608B7.jpeg

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It may seem like I'm not listening... This might have something to do with the lighting, but imo this jacket is fairly neutral irl, maybe even warm-leaning. It has rust, cream and brown flecks over a grey-brown base.

There is no arguing. You’re a well dressed guy. The cut and fit of your items is outstanding. You’ve often asked for advice about combos you were unsure of. I often find color temperature a common denominator. I see the flecks in the jacket, but it still comes off as a gray brown vs the orange brown of the pants.

That is also quite ’scientific’ approach to dressing. If you dress by numbers you’ll look like it too. I’m aware of the ancient rules, also aware how and that they should be broken and I’m quite aware that @An Acute Style knows this all.

In the end, isn’t all that matters does the lady walking towards you find you A) attractive B) not attractive? Isn’t that shat actually counts, even after all this mascular approvement seeking forum-stuff...?

IS IT NOT THIS WHAT ACTuALLY COUNTS? Married guys knows this too: no matter how much you explain the finer things of that stupid watch to her, she’ll just nod ’cause she understands that the watch must mean lot to you, but that watch won’t make her drool after you, now does it...?

I think @afterthesuit looks good in that, funny, exciting and mature way. Not too neurotic in that fit. That outfit, among many good outfits presented here, triggers also my imagination ”hell, this guy knows something”. Hell, that outfit might even work on a date.

I’m also aware the comment from AAS wasn’t too importantand he’ll probably not contemplate these things while sleeping etc.

If our goal is to figure out if women like our outfits, the constituents of this thread is all wrong.

From the little I’ve experienced as an adult, I continue to see beautiful women with IMO poorly dressed men. Apparently no love lost. I’m assuming women don’t care nearly as much about our appearance as they care about theirs.

james.darley

Reaction score
This is awesome. Love all the shades of brown.

Thank you! The suede boots are more similar in tone to the cord chore coat than it appears in the photo. However, I enjoy outdoor shoots since there is a certain beauty of capturing the moment and how colors shift with the reflection of light.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no arguing. You’re a well dressed guy. The cut and fit of your items is outstanding. You’ve often asked for advice about combos you were unsure of. I often find color temperature a common denominator. I see the flecks in the jacket, but it still comes off as a gray brown vs the orange brown of the pants.

Thank you for the kind words! I appreciate that you've paid enough attention to notice colour temp being a reoccurring theme. I guess my decisions aren't based on categorical evaluations of the individual pieces. I'm comfortable enough with putting together outfits that may contain a hint of clash, or discordant colour schemes, that I don't specifically seek out avoiding them.

When I put this one together my way of thinking (potentially incomplete as it may be) was that both the trousers and shirt are fairly saturated colours, where the donegal jacket is less saturated. It pairs well with the dark denim shirt, and pairs well with the warm brown flannel. I felt that the flecks were an adequate bit of continuity between the jacket and trousers. Thus, the outfit is 2/3 warm, and 1/3 cool - generally a well balanced ratio.

Overall, I'm happy with it. I think it's just slightly unconventional, without being contrarian. I don't dismiss your argument out of hand, as I can see the points you are making. I just don't fully agree with your assessment. It's possible we just assign different weighting to colour temp when eyeing an outfit. You're one of the few who takes time to provide thoughtful critiques to all kinds of members on this site, and I do appreciate it.

:fistbump:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I always find it interesting that you make these often astute observations that I may not always agree with but accept that they come from the well of flawed sartorial logic that most of us aspire to complying with, to one degree or another.

And then a couple of days later you’ll post a fit with a cacophony of clashing colours and patterns that defies any relation to any sartorial logic whatsoever. Yes I’m looking at those neon mint green chinos as the prime offender!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always find it interesting that you make these often astute observations that I may not always agree with but accept that they come from the well of flawed sartorial logic that most of us aspire to complying with, to one degree or another.

And then a couple of days later you’ll post a fit with a cacophony of clashing colours and patterns that defies any relation to any sartorial logic whatsoever. Yes I’m looking at those neon mint green chinos as the prime offender!

The mint green chinos are actually kelly green. They are staples in the Trad/Preppy aesthetic. Similar to other combos, I wear. I understand they may not be your cup of tea, but it is right within the context of the sub genre I favor. The same way mod's like hard three button jackets, my aesthetic likes what it likes.

I feel despite my preferences, I can see patterns in how other people dress and I offer commentary that fits their style and not mine. I usually adjust my feedback based on their responses to that feedback. For example, I stopped bringing up your love for hard 3 button jackets once I learned that was a staple of the mod aesthetic. I also now understand Colin's desire to mix items of different color temperature.

The same way you wouldn't give advice to a Buddhist based on Christian principals, advice should match the sub genre.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The mint green chinos are actually kelly green. They are staples in the Trad/Preppy aesthetic. Similar to other combos, I wear. I understand they may not be your cup of tea, but it is right within the context of the sub genre I favor. The same way mod's like hard three button jackets, my aesthetic likes what it likes.

I feel despite my preferences, I can see patterns in how other people dress and I offer commentary that fits their style and not mine. I usually adjust my feedback based on their responses to that feedback. For example, I stopped bringing up your love for hard 3 button jackets once I learned that was a staple of the mod aesthetic. I also now understand Colin's desire to mix items of different color temperature.

The same way you wouldn't give advice to a Buddhist based on Christian principals, advice should match the sub genre.

Heresy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads