• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beach at SF? Isn’t it always windy?
Years ago I ate at that restaurant The Cliff House or something, at the beach at SF. Very underwhelmed!
Not always, but especially in the late afternoon. And the Cliff House is good for drinks and the sunset view; not so much for food.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were you expecting?
Well as UC says the view from there is good but the way it was hyped up to me heightened my expectations that it was going to be some kind of stellar experience and it really wasn’t all that.
And I’m about as far from being a ‘food snob’ as it’s possible to be!

(Just thinking this must have been around 2002 - Christ where does the time go? - so things may have changed for the better since then!)

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn’t ask me, but... If he took his hands out of his pockets and buttoned all the buttons, it appears the shirt would end near the middle of his pant/short rise. I think that is a good length for a polo. How long do you like yours?

Not at all. Length is perfect, at least for me. It’s not 18east loose but if you size up it would still look good (and be longer).

Looks like from measurements the site the length on the XL is a hair over 26, which is about 1-1.5 inches shorter than my shortest polo. I think they looks great but most of the models seem to be wearing higher rise pants (which are great but not something I tend to wear with polos) so not sure if it would work for someone 6'2". I could certainly be wrong though

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were you expecting?
When I was a kid, we went on a field trip and ate at The House of Prime Rib...
When we left and started walking down the sidewalk, I smelled piss, and then saw feet sticking out of a bush. It was the first homeless person I had ever seen.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well as UC says the view from there is good but the way it was hyped up to me heightened my expectations that it was going to be some kind of stellar experience and it really wasn’t all that.
And I’m about as far from being a ‘food snob’ as it’s possible to be!

(Just thinking this must have been around 2002 - Christ where does the time go? - so things may have changed for the better since then!)
Ah, okay. I thought you were disappointed by the beach! The popovers at the Cliff House were pretty good, but I share UC's assessment of it overall.

@mhip The House of Prime Rib never leads to anything good.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid, we went on a field trip and ate at The House of Prime Rib...
When we left and started walking down the sidewalk, I smelled piss, and then saw feet sticking out of a bush. It was the first homeless person I had ever seen.
Haha welcome to SF! I used to stay at the Hilton near Union Square and drive down Turk to UCSF. 8.00 am must be chow time at the soup kitchens, I’ve never seen so many homeless people and panhandlers as I have in SF. Very sad state of affairs.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha welcome to SF! I used to stay at the Hilton near Union Square and drive down Turk to UCSF. 8.00 am must be chow time at the soup kitchens, I’ve never seen so many homeless people and panhandlers as I have in SF. Very sad state of affairs.
I was a sheltered suburban kid.
SF blew my mind, in a good way.
I thought of that when I took my kid to Venice for the first time when she was young. She said, "This place is so weird, I love it".

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like from measurements the site the length on the XL is a hair over 26, which is about 1-1.5 inches shorter than my shortest polo. I think they looks great but most of the models seem to be wearing higher rise pants (which are great but not something I tend to wear with polos) so not sure if it would work for someone 6'2". I could certainly be wrong though
I think you'll be OK. You can also order longer lengths here.

Also, embrace higher waist pants.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From yesterday

50188530762_53cf41008d_c.jpg

50187734498_5ee91d883d_c.jpg

50188531352_f0952f632a_c.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads