1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I took this on Thursday, but it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but since it does have a bicycle...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

GN and PoP doing AUS proud.

1 person likes this.
  3. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

As some of you know, I'm one of the Rapha Ride Leaders so bring the hate as I'm quite used to the anti Rapha sentiment.

Here's my current whip from a recent photo shoot for the team.
    [​IMG]
    A custom titanium frame from Festka - all hand made in Prague.

DETAILS
    2014 Campagnolo SR brakes set and chain/crank set (I'm still warming up to the 2015 4 arm crank)
    2015 Campagnolo Chorus front/rear mech and shifters
    Curve 38/25mm carbon clinchers + Veloflex tyres
    3T finishing kit
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    Arundel "Mandible" cages
    Look Keo Blade pedals
    Total weight as above 7.4kg
    * bike is designed for longer rides
    ** next one will be for more club rides

This morning midway a 150km ride that included 2km of elevation through one of our national parks. I'm one of those that takes joys in climbing, hence the cheeky grin.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    11 people like this.
  4. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

It's been a few years but I think it from Linus. The frame has an eccentric bottom bracket so the shell rotates slightly when it is adjusted which severely limited my selection for a chainguard. It had to mount so that it rotated with the EBB.

http://www.linusbike.com/products/linus-chainguard?variant=252281892

@GuidoWongolini - what exactly is the anti Rapha sentiment? Is it due to the 'premium' brand positioning? Other than being in the 'steel is real' group I try to stay away from cycling tribalism ;)

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^People have bike hate? Sigh. Doesn't seem like the best outlet for one's energy.

I will try to make a point of taking fit photos with my three bikes. One moderately nice, one cheap, and one over 20 years old, sole negligent owner.

6. geoloop

geoloop Well-Known Member

seems like im the only one here with a mountain bike lol

1 person likes this.
  7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I used to have 2. I started with a Oryx Freak 125 (Canadian brand that got purchased by Rocky Mountain back in 2006 if I recall correctly) that I completely tore apart, followed by a more X-Country 2008 Devinci Cameleon 3 that got stolen at my old appartment.

Since then, I ride my Opus Fidelio (first road bike) and I doesn't ride as much as I'd like to, I should remedy that soon.

As for the bike hate, I really don't get it.

8. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

Heh, I knew @GuidoWongolini was gonna get that Festka out and it's game over. Never ridden one—your LBS doesn't exactly have a stack of them laying around—but the most consistently stunning aesthetics of any bikes in the game.

My Merckx AXM is pretty indeed, and a landmark frame, but no match. I have been toying with the idea of getting my spray gun out, tho...

And you are not gonna hear any Rapha hate from me, mate—that mfing rain jacket is the single best piece of cycling clothing I have ever owned. I think Rapha is like one of those YouTube videos with a stack of negative comments and 95,000,000 views. I see it everywhere in PDX, even on a surprising amount of folks in Giro Reverbs riding Jamis commuters.

Everyone imitates the Rapha minimalist look now—they've totally changed the landscape—but no one gets it quite right. Some folks are starting to do their own thing with excellent results; Tenspeed Hero and Team Dream spring to mind.

The one thing I have trouble splurging on is Rapha shorts (or any expensive shorts). The Lycra starts to lose its elasticity after two years or so and you have to throw them out no matter how much you pamper them or how much money you spend. I use Performance Elite bibs for this reason. Nearly as good as anything on the market, and you don't weep when you toss them.

Jerseys are another thing entirely. I have a SKIL Sean Kelly jersey from 1985 that I wear all the time.

Also, those vintage-style RAPHA block letters on the shorts are the raddest thing ever, but no one has figured a way to keep silkscreens from cracking off of shorts after about the tenth wash. I've seen this on Rapha shorts a lot.

9. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

The Rapha stuff is gorgeous, but I participate in too many different sports to buy a lot of sport-specific clothing. Today I rode in to work in the pouring rain wearing my Arc'teryx Sidewinder ski coat with an lightweight Icebreaker merino wool base layer underneath. No cycle fashion points but I stayed dry.

2 people like this.
  10. Chulillo

Chulillo Senior member

@Gerry Nelson that jacket looks awesome! Wear it often!

What a debate around bicycles... didn't know how much love for them you guys had. I used to have a mountain bike as well... but it got stolen when someone broke into my shed... :(
    I never replaced it because I only used it on summer vacations and very little time on other seasons.

I don't know how you guys can pull of cycling to work/events and wear regular clothing. I start sweating in like 0,2 seconds... maybe it is my body that is used to the exercise and inmediatly knows it's going to need to vent or what but if I ride a bicycle around the city I get soaking wet... nasty... so I just don't do it unless I go to practice/play a certain sport and I am dress accordingly... then I don't care about the sweating, of course.

1 person likes this.
  11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Too much bike talk, I'm off for a ride [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old pic, current scenery is more like this:

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. sugarbutch

This is generally my sentiment, but I recently acquired a road bike, so I think I will invest in some cycling shorts/bibs for the benefit of my nethers.

13. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

When doing physical activity, fashion points aren't my main concern, I believe in this case function > form so as long as it gets the job done.. I don't really care if I ride my bike in some 30$ shorts or 250$ pro bibs, as long as they breath well.

Obviously, if $ wasn't an issue, I'd like to be stylish no matter what activity I take part in, so I'd have dedicated cycling/jogging/weight lifting/outside working kits, but alas, I can't at the moment.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

Shugs, if you're doing hard rides for sport/training, definitely get you some bibs. Your ass will thank you, and you'll find that not having all that sweat-soaked fabric flopping around in the wind is a relief. Dry thighs and happy sit bones are crucial.

Again, Performance Bike Elite bibs are a great value; as good as anything I've worn.

On the Rapha tip: the stuff looks great, but it's hard to get hardcore cyclists to pay a lot if the performance isn't there. Small design flaws become big ones when you're 40 miles out, up top of a mountain. Rapha performs extremely well, and the price hate they get is mainly from having things like $160 goatskin gloves. On the stuff that matters (jerseys, jackets, gilets) the price isn't all that far above average.

15. sugarbutch

'tooth, I opened up a tab on your first recommendation. :)

1 person likes this.
  16. Oneflewover

Oneflewover Well-Known Member

I can fall for the bike game

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

Surly makes some tough bikes

18. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Totally un-bike related post:

[​IMG]

23 people like this.
  19. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

The cotton suit and darker polo look is growing on me lately!

20. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Cross post from SWD my friends.