1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Thrifter

Thrifter Senior member

That discussion might be worthy of another entire thread, but I nominate chocolate brown suede shoes (chukkas, wingtips, etc) as a CMC staple.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  2. thefoxtooth

thefoxtooth Senior member

My line between CM-C and SW&D is probably swoosh-shaped. If you ever wear Nikes anywhere besides a workout, you probably belong in SW&D.

Your whole attitude towards snapbacks/shaolin-monk silhouettes/90s weightlifter pants, etc. probably revolves around that one question.

1 person likes this.
  3. LeBeef

LeBeef Senior member

When I think of casual clothes that can double as hospital/clinic appropriate, I just think of staple jcrew type clothes. Nothing flashy or fashion forward. Things that get too menswear will look funny imo.

If it were me, I'd just keep dressing in whatever style you dress in, and if it's not the same as hospital/clinic dress, just get a few sale outfits to get you through the days you need it. At least for the first couple of years, you won't be seeing patients a whole lot.

Also, don't be the guy who tailors his short white coat. Looks terrible imo.

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I really like how some of the SWD fits look, but I just don't think I could pull them off because of body shape, my location/surrounding, and my budget. Some of the boots etc would be versatile enough for CMC, but I like dressing in a way that makes me feel good and also doesn't make me stand out in a bad way.

There's certainly some stuff I will try to experiment with, but super slouchy puddled pants don't make me feel good. The asymettrical T's etc look super awesome (ala rick owens) and I think it'd be cool to wear one with a super casual blazer sometime for effect. I can't quite see it.

Also, here's a cool pair of boots for 170. No idea about fit, but they look reasonable.

http://www.barneyswarehouse.com/bar...7024.html#sz=229&pageviewchange=true&start=36

And yeah, not going to tailor the white coat unless it's stupid gigantic. I don't want fitted scrubs either lol. I've seen so many guys get railed on for that shit.

5. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

What's wrong with tailored lab coat? I'm not talking about stupidly movement-restricting tight, but well fitting with maybe wider lapels?

1 person likes this.
  6. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I think leather jackets add a cool, contemporary flair to something like khaki/grey/navy chinos and a OCBD tucked in, especially when worn with a pair of brogue boots. As good or better with some nice denim. I rarely get to wear true CM so this is basically my entire wardrobe.

Probably have something like this in my future:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

..and don't tailor your white coat, unless it's from Medelita, in which case you have to get the sleeves shortened.

8. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

I'll have Rubinacci make me a white coat complete with tasca a pignata, barchetta pocket, and spalla camicia in a Minnis cotton for my rotations [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Might want to go with fresco for those warmer floors.

10. ridethecliche

I like that jacket a lot darkside. Aero?

I kind of want a few all black outfits. Maybe with a perfecto...

But i like the idea of having a good pair of black jeans, boots, white t, and a black leather jacket...

11. thefoxtooth

I think @Darkside is well on point with brown café racers. Can look a little louche or mall-y (think Members Only) if the jacket is not first quality, though.

Hard to go wrong with Aero Leathers Highwayman:

[​IMG]

Get ready to get spendy, though.

If you don't want to spend very much at all, Schott Perfecto and various A-2s on Craigslist are gonna be about it. You may luck into a good racer.

PS: If you tailor your white coat properly, no one will think you had it tailored. They'll just think you look great in a white coat.

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

I feel like I'm going to want a black perfecto and a brown moto.

I'm not loaded, but I've made a bit of money wheeling and dealing in the last two years and put it aside for clothing stuff. I kind of have an idea in my head and want to do it as cheap as possible.

Schott is a great option for many many reasons. I need to go try on more of their jackets soon. Summers probably a good time to buy used.

I feel like i have everything i need to dress up CM style to the standards required of me and in a way that captures my personality and is fit for the occasion.

13. thefoxtooth

I'm certainly very happy with my Schott Perfecto. I've had it since I was eighteen.

But mine is a HEAVY steerhide, and it's wonderful as long as it's 63º or below. The lighter Ramones-type ones might be more versatile.

2 people like this.
  14. ridethecliche

Im likely going to be in med school in Worcester for four years. It's going to be below 63 for more time than it's going to be above that.

I had a perfecto once but found it too baggy. They can be scored for 200-250 on eBay and I'll willingly pay that provided i can find the right one.

Like i said, i don't have much money, but think i can budget about 3k over the next two years to restructure. I'm okay with waiting and sniping eBay auctions for the stuff i want. Pity I won't be able to thrift much in school. It's really helped me out with basic shirts and pants...

I'm also okay spending half my tax return next year on clothes and spending the rest on travel.

Part of the reason i started this sub topic was to figure out an order of operations of sorts.

Foxtooth, your m85 style military rothco jacket.... Can you wear out class fine? I recent bought a j crew one on the cheap and it looks awesome open, but is way too tight zipped up...

15. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not quite spring yet:

[​IMG]

22 people like this.
  16. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

17. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I feel like this is the perfect opportunity for me to take a photo of my new shoes.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. thefoxtooth

Heh, heh. I've actually been wanting a pair just like those, if only to work out in.

To be clear, I like a lot of the things I see in SW&D. But for whatever reason, a lot of it has never felt right on me. I put on a pair of Jordans and I just feel like an asshole. This was as true at eighteen as it is now.

Stopped worrying about it a long time ago, though—I just chase my particular rabbit wherever it leads me.

1 person likes this.
  19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

If I had unlimited funds, my casual wear would look like a paramilitary as dressed by Picasso, with a bit of the designer running apparel mixed in. Or maybe just go all the way with the YY...

20. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

RTC, congrats on Worcester. UMass is a great school. I have a few buddies starting there for residency. I'll be down the road in Boston. The Cafe Racer I posted is the Schott. I'll probably wait and save till I can buy one new for myself. Something about leather jackets and how they age according to the wearer.