1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Fantastic boots! Deets please?

1 person likes this.
  2. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

Thanks a lot! They're from Loake, model named Hyde. I think I'v seen @EFV posting pics of a pair too.

1 person likes this.
  3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

That fit is tops, sansimeon.

4. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Nice boots and cuffs!

5. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A vintage Chippewa Falls Woolen Mill mackinaw coat. This coat, made in Wisconsin, is more than 60 years old and has nary a tear or sign of wear. Long before Filson, there were woolen mills all across the Midwest. I suspect that the original owner of this coat wore it only while doing weekend errands--as will I. The hunting pocket, in the back of the coat, provides an extra layer of warmth.

9 people like this.
  6. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

X-post from the Friday challenge. Thoughts on overall coherence or individual elements to change?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Overall its nice, and I like it. The colors are done well. That said, the cuff is way too big IMO, and i'm also not a fan of the popped collar with the blazer. Those two make it all seem too "trendy."

3 people like this.
  8. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

The pieces are very nice and the color scheme is spot on, but despite the fact that the individual items up top (OCBD, knit tie) are rather casual, the top half is still too formal for jeans. I'm not someone who is 100% against jeans + tie, I just think the formality coherence needs to be near perfect to pull it off.

There was actually a jeans and tie "train wreck" challenge a few months back. PTO did a nice write up on one of the better entries. Link.

2 people like this.
  9. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Great link, CD. In it PTO mentions using chinos instead of jeans when trying to "casual down," but in either case the point is well taken about not thinking about how one should take the formality down but rather how that look exists in its own space - one that calls for very careful choosing of unstructured elements, which I didn't do all that well.

Nakedsnake, your comment about trendy is fair, though living in San Francisco it's hard not to take a cue from some of the "Nautical Barber Lumberjack" wave, which I mostly discount but do enjoy a few key aesthetics. I think because of how casual jeans made the look, I felt I had to do something with the jacket to move away from traditional - an informal square and popped collar were the easiest choices, when in the end it might have just been better to keep the top and bottom halves in separate fits.

Cuffs aren't sewn in so i'll move 'em down a bit more - being 5'5" doesn't help my case. :)

Thanks for the compliments on the colors and the constructive feedback on the rest!

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the sweater is what puts it over the line into a solidly non-tie look. Ditch it and you'd be fine.

2 people like this.
  11. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Ditch the sweater or the tie? Or pick one?

12. sugarbutch

13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Id ditch the tie there. Sweater adds a lot more than the tie does.

14. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

agreed...ocbd would look sweet there.

15. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

Pushed the pant cuffs down a bit more yesterday - seem like a better place for them now? Holiday sweater time besides that. Will probably try a more color-contrasting shirt next time... I'm Ron Burgundy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. sugarbutch

I like everything except for the rogue shirttails.

1 person likes this.
  17. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

also those weeds coming up out of the floorboards should be removed before they cause damage.

18. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

You no like the fashion equivalent of bedhead? I can accept. :nodding:

Unless weeds are a metaphor for shirttails, and floorboards for sweater, I can do very little. Exactly zero places in any of my outdoor photos belong to me. I'd have much nicer clothes if they did!

19. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Am I wrong in thinking that the fit could still work with jeans if the jeans were a bit more tapered/slim? I don't think it would be in the realm of CM, but would be considered trendy.

20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Which one, the field coat or the blazer? I think the proportions in the field coat one are really nice together, so I think slimmer jeans would require everything else changing a little bit -- my instinct is to say that the top half would need to get trimmer too, but I my vague sense of what's hip suggests that the top half would be better off getting looser in that case, and I think the shoes would need different proportions, too.