• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HF - i like both fits. especially the shoes in the second one.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you feel about this? A little over the top retro perhaps? Pants are gray flannel, jacket is a DB brownish herringbone tweed with orange overcheck, sweater is green and tie is navy woven silk with green elephants.

I quite like it. It's a very stylised (as opposed to more everyday) look, and works within those boundaries.

HF - i like both fits. especially the shoes in the second one.

Thanks. They're suede chukkas from Ferragamo and have a really soft/padded top, where they hug the calf. Most chukkas don't have that, but it makes these really comfy to wear. I wear them a lot and am not looking forward to the day they finally give way.

^^ Apart from lack of cuffs, the bottom is best!
smile.gif

Was this for my pics? If so, there's not enough inseam to properly turn those jeans up. I can see that looking good in theory though, yeah.

Jonsey

Reaction score

I quite like it. It's a very stylised (as opposed to more everyday) look, and works within those boundaries.

Thanks! You're right it was a stylised look, as I was playing with my band on stage minutes after. Outside. Minus 6 degrees Celsius. Stiff fingers!

SHS

Reaction score

This suede jacket's a bit big for me, but I love the softness of the material so much, I can't bear to ever part with it. It's still nice for slouchy, casual wear:

And something a little trimmer:

If you had worn the chukkas in the first picture it would have been the fuzziest fit ever. Perhaps too much of a good thing. :) I like your second fit much better.

Last edited:

rossoz

Reaction score
This suede jacket's a bit big for me, but I love the softness of the material so much, I can't bear to ever part with it. It's still nice for slouchy, casual wear:

And something a little trimmer:

Hold...,

I love the sport coat. Store, brand please and how heavy is it? Thanks, Larry

sanchito

Reaction score
My first try....tame by SF standards but hey...feel free to rip me to shreds, I can take it...don't know how to blur out my ugly mug...sorry bout that

BB Vintage SC
Some plain ole white shirt I picked up at the thrift store
346 Sweater
Nameless thrifted tie
Citizens of Humanity Jeans
AE Sanford Shoes
Ray Ban Glasses

SeaJen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The first fit reminded me of Minder. Given the nostalgia it evoked, that is a compliment, I can assure you. Can you sing the feem toon?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you had worn the chukkas in the first picture it would have been the fuzziest fit ever. Perhaps too much of a good thing.
smile.gif
I like your second fit much better.

Yeah, that's exactly why I wore regular calf leather with it instead. Needed something shiny instead of more fuzzy stuff. I have worn that jacket at the same time as the suede chukkas and usually regretted it for precisely that reason.

The first fit reminded me of Minder. Given the nostalgia it evoked, that is a compliment, I can assure you. Can you sing the feem toon?

I used to watch Minder pretty regularly; I reckon I could do a passable rendition of the theme! :D

Arthur Daley had pretty natty outfits, especially that light brown chesterfield overcoat paired with dark brown narrow brim trilby. ;)

Hold...,

I love the sport coat. Store, brand please and how heavy is it? Thanks, Larry

Thanks Larry. It was made for me by Ede & Ravenscroft, using a Holland & Sherry cloth from their Sherry Tweed II book. I can't remember the exact weight, but I think it was somewhere around 14oz, give or take. In the UK, it's good from about late September/early October through to about late April/early May. If our current freezing cold weather continues, maybe it will never be put away... ;)

Holdfast, no, I meant shirt cuffs!
tongue.gif
Oh, right; I'm become too Americanised from reading this board, assuming the word cuffs meant turn-ups. :)

I've settled on this jacket sleeve length as being what I like. Shorter ones show more cuff when standing still, but I don't like how much they reveal when you bend your arms. On this jacket, they're about the same length as the shirt sleeves, showing just the barest sliver of shirt cuff if I was to stand perfectly properly, facing the camera. This is how I've been getting all my new stuff over the past 2-3 years. Some of my older stuff tends to show a phase where I got a quarter inch or even more showing instead, but I'm not fond of that anymore. Not very SF of me, I know, but there you go.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While the calendar says "Spring", the temperature says "wool". This sweater (Black Sheep LTD from the UK) is the most woolly thing I've ever seen. It has a natural colored wool and is very roomy. Trousers are charcoal tweed by Epaulet.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

if you were looking for a pair of navy suede casual shoes, which would you go for? the wingtip or the bucks?
both have the same brick sole

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I prefer the Wingtip.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
initially i did as well (prefer the wingtip)
but i have several other wingtips .. so i was thinking bucks..
and then i just saw these
LL

navy suede longwing bucks from land's end
i prefer the longwing to the wingtip + these are much cheaper
may have to grab them instead

southbound35

Reaction score
^^ I prefer the buck. But, I'll admit I'm biased and like very few wingtips.

On edit: I was posting my response as you posted the longwing.

All things being equal, I'd probably go with the longwing. Since I already have a casual longwing (and am not a fan of wingtips), I'd personally still go with the buck.

I've actually got my eyes open for a pair of plain toe bluchers (not bucks) in navy suede.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads