• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So leaving aside my claim up thread that a dandy is unobtrusive, i.e. the very opposite of 'looking for attention' , the word 'dandy' doesn't actually appear in the sentence you highlighted.

Now what were you saying about ad hominem?

Jabonator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FWIW my tastes are far from SWD, so I'm not suggesting wrinkles or loud colors or anything. But the whole thing looks too bland, particularly pants and shoes. Agree that the cardigan looks bad buttoned.*

Don't mean to be harsh (and I'm not only describing "in stitches," but various others I've seen over time as well), but I think key drivers of the dorkyness of the look(s) may be the lack of a stylish punch (something that isn't muted) coupled with a lack of the look of athleticism or fluidity or masculinity. There's no assertiveness. Hmm, hard to put into words.

As far as the outfit the I originally quoted, I think it would look a lot better with 1) darker shoes**, and 2) slightly darker (or more colorful), 1/2 inch longer, and maybe even roomier pants. In my view SF often takes it too far with pants shortness and tightness.

Aaaanyway...

Edits:

*At least unbutton another button at the bottom
**More contrast vs. pants. Contrast = less dull.

God damn SWD crowd always suggesting wrinkles and loud colors.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So leaving aside my claim up thread that a dandy is unobtrusive, i.e. the very opposite of 'looking for attention' , the word 'dandy' doesn't actually appear in the sentence you highlighted.

ok since you are being difficult let me rephrase my statment.

Upturned jeans are signs that you are seeking for attention?

People at MC never seem to amaze me.

does that make a difference?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To clarify, cardigan stood out as dandy or interesting or whatever, but not normal or run of the mill.

Upturned jeans stood out as well. My mention of dandy for the cardigan did not extend to the jeans.

Is a "Stark" a brand or make of cardigan or something? You all seem to know what it is. Some of you seem to regard it as badass or something, doesn't seem that unusual to me, and the color is subdued.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread has gotten interesting.

God damn SWD crowd always suggesting wrinkles and loud colors.

:lol:

Is a "Stark" a brand or make of cardigan or something? You all seem to know what it is. Some of you seem to regard it as badass or something, doesn't seem that unusual to me, and the color is subdued.

the stark is a sweater made by the SNS herning company, it comes in many colors, and yes, it is badass.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ok since you are being difficult let me rephrase my statment.

Upturned jeans are signs that you are seeking for attention?

People at MC never seem to amaze me.

does that make a difference?

T1 speaks for me.

MarkThomas

Reaction score
this thread has gotten interesting.
lol8[1].gif

+1

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doarky?

i hate these pants. :(

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's the shoes that bug me. They're too petite for the top. All in all, I'd say stuff doesn't go together - I really like that overshirt (?)/ jacket, but I think it'd look better with a solid flannel (light grey?) or OCBD, and, correspondingly, different pants. I'm like a broken record, so I'll say denimdenimdenim, but I think a heavy moleskin trouser could look nice, too - even some corduroys if the're more palatable than jeans. You could do a MOK-inspired look, for sure. Maybe some navy cotton trousers would work, too. And BOOTS. As it is, a bit incongruent (if we care about those sorts of things)

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your posture and demeanor in that picture make me think that you took this after getting pulled out of bed early so that you could go help some people bury a body in the woods.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your posture and demeanor in that picture make me think that you took this after getting pulled out of bed early so that you could go help some people bury a body in the woods.

John Varvatos lightweight cotton bomber
Eddie Bauer 1/4 button shawl collar pullover
PRL flannel b/w plaid shirt
PRL chinos
Columbia (who knew?!) belt
Clarks (England) single monks. Water spots since it was damp out.
B&L Rayban Wayfarers

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's the shoes that bug me. They're too petite for the top. All in all, I'd say stuff doesn't go together - I really like that overshirt (?)/ jacket, but I think it'd look better with a solid flannel (light grey?) or OCBD, and, correspondingly, different pants. I'm like a broken record, so I'll say denimdenimdenim, but I think a heavy moleskin trouser could look nice, too - even some corduroys if the're more palatable than jeans. You could do a MOK-inspired look, for sure. Maybe some navy cotton trousers would work, too. And BOOTS. As it is, a bit incongruent (if we care about those sorts of things)

i agree with you here, even though i really see this jacket (its a jacket imo, quilted on the inside) as an MC item, not SWD. the flat pants and shirt do not seem to go well, it really works better with other thicker more textured pants and shirt. i should have worn the merino wool navy v-neck jumper i had planned to with these pants and shirt, but i love this jacket so much i often just grab it.

i think it would be cool to try moleskin, cords would be good to have as well. i am lacking in both those departments. i think i will try this jacket with chinos next time and see how i like it with a less dressy get up. i might surprise myself and like it a lot.

and yes, i feel congruency/coherency is very important.

this may or may not be true. every. single. morning.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so cool.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads