• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love when these threaks go ad hominem. Not.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You're all wrong and frankly ridiculous Stark looks good as buttoned

my man.

FWIW my tastes are far from SWD, so I'm not suggesting wrinkles or loud colors or anything. But the whole thing looks too bland, particularly pants and shoes. Agree that the cardigan looks bad buttoned.*
Don't mean to be harsh (and I'm not only describing "in stitches," but various others I've seen over time as well), but I think key drivers of the dorkyness of the look(s) may be the lack of a stylish punch (something that isn't muted) coupled with a lack of the look of athleticism or fluidity or masculinity. There's no assertiveness. Hmm, hard to put into words.
As far as the outfit the I originally quoted, I think it would look a lot better with 1) darker shoes**, and 2) slightly darker (or more colorful), 1/2 inch longer, and maybe even roomier pants. In my view SF often takes it too far with pants shortness and tightness.
Aaaanyway...
Edits:
*At least unbutton another button at the bottom
**More contrast vs. pants. Contrast = less dull.

not harsh at all, i just disagree.

i dont see how any of this = dorky, but to address the ideas:

basically, sometimes, boring is better. i think often people put too much "punch" in a fit, and the whole thing ends up lacking coherency. often restraint is needed to keep a fit looking good.

as to the buttons, i think the stark is great either way. wearing it buttoned up lends to a more dressy look, and unbuttoned lends to a more casual look. had i buttoned it, and buttoned any less buttons, id be wearing it like a woman wears a sweater over a shell.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I love when these threaks go ad hominem. Not.

your face is an ad hominem.

no, i have no idea what that means, i just wanted to say it. :)

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a perfect example of the dorkyness, with some going too far on the side. I think you have to be deluded or high on SF cool-aid to think this looks good.

It's just way too far out there.

Cardigan. OK, you've done it, you've gone dandy-ish and got attention. Pretty nice, if everything else is chill.
+ Up-turned jeans. Wow, really looking for some attention.
+ Bow tie. "Oh my god, what's going on. Is he in a play or something? Why's he walking around like that?" <- What everyone is thinking.

I feel bad for bashing but there's good SF and there's misguided SF and you have to quash it before it infects us all.

So Stitch's cardigan fit was boring and dorky and needed something else to punch it up, but Mr. K's cardigan is "dandy-ish"? Huh? I agree the bow tie was a little over the top, but I don't understand how one cardigan (a Stark nonetheless) can be boring and another one can be dandy.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WRT post #12120

I don't know. I've been mostly convinced by the online menswear orthodoxy of "no tie without jacket"; I pretty much never do that. But I actually think this looks pretty good, FWIW. And I dig the way the socks recall the tie.

Last edited:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

A self-confessed yup, a dandy and a dork walk into a bar...

What's the punch line?

All we need is a priest and we've got the making of a great joke: "A scientist, a priest, and an orthodox jew walk into a bar..."

joshuasaussey

Reaction score
I cant tell for sure, because you might be craning your neck, but is it possible your shirt collar does not adhere to your neck when you're standing naturally?

The collar points on this shirt are very short. 2.25" I believe, so it can cause the effect of flopping down rather than staying up. My slight hunch is making it worse I believe. I don't think it is too much of an issue.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ascots and monocles ( and most bow ties) are the mark of a fop not a dandy.

A dandy is someone who dresses well with attention to detail but can remain unobtrusive. A fop goes out of his way for attention and usually goes too far towards affectation. You won't find those definitions in the Oxford English Dictionary but I think they are more or less accurate.

One of my biggest objections on this board is too much foppery at the expense of dandyism. I think that's more or less what Arch-Yup is getting at too.

"Call me old fashioned but I still believe there is only one true God. And he lives in this lake. And his name is Zorgo."

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:laugh:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

"Call me old fashioned but I still believe there is only one true God. And he lives in this lake. And his name is Zorgo."

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make here.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

upturned jeans are signs that you are dandying up?

Did anyone actually say that or did you just make it up?

I actually went back to check and someone said turning up your jeans is 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 in dandyism, so I guess they sorta said it but i think you're really stretching it to make an objection here.

FWIW I think upturned jeans are like turnups on dress trousers - a trend or a preference but to cuff is neither more nor less dandyish than not to cuff. I don't think that was aimed at me anyway but I think I'm losing the will to live with this **** so I'm out!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
upturned jeans are signs that you are dandying up?

Did anyone actually say that or did you just make it up?

I actually went back to check and someone said turning up your jeans is 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 in dandyism, so I guess they sorta said it but i think you're really stretching it to make an objection here.

FWIW I think upturned jeans are like turnups on dress trousers - a trend or a preference but to cuff is neither more nor less dandyish than not to cuff. I don't think that was aimed at me anyway but I think I'm losing the will to live with this **** so I'm out!

Um...

This is a perfect example of the dorkyness, with some going too far on the side. I think you have to be deluded or high on SF cool-aid to think this looks good.

It's just way too far out there.

Cardigan. OK, you've done it, you've gone dandy-ish and got attention. Pretty nice, if everything else is chill.
+ Up-turned jeans. Wow, really looking for some attention.
+ Bow tie. "Oh my god, what's going on. Is he in a play or something? Why's he walking around like that?" <- What everyone is thinking.

I feel bad for bashing but there's good SF and there's misguided SF and you have to quash it before it infects us all.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads