• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ready for spring

0n0sZr3.jpg
rWzg4hd.jpg

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll give some feedback...

Those jeans looked like acid washed or bleached black jeans. If they are you might wanna go with something else; maybe normal gray or charcoal jeans. And you shoes seems to look too long and unflattering. It is prolly because you have wide feet. If this is the case then I suggest going with some Supergas they will balance your proportions. Posting in SWD would also serve you alot more.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To clarify, there is another subforum, Streetwear & Denim, where this fit would be more appropriate (and you'll get more helpful feedback).

plus one.
--
GREAT look, NOBD.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like tweed + wool trousers in theory but rarely have occasion to wear that combo, as opposed to tweed + cotton trousers which is a classic smart daytime look. Maybe if your lifestyle involves a lot of dandified business casual it would be different.

I don't think wool trousers automatically puts a look into the realm of drab business casual. It depends on the exact cloth and the style. Sure, a pair of unremarkable worsted middling-grey trousers paired with a tweed jacket is admittedly quite dull, but I don't think (m)any were recommending that. Certainly I, for one, was thinking more along the lines of flannel or donegal. Even within the realm of cotton trousers, I think cavalry twill or cords work better with tweed to my eye than regular chinos. Again, though, I'm not seeing the look through US eyes, which I certainly accept alters (a bit) the paradigm of what tends to look good together.

The exact weight/feel of the tweed matters too. A rougher/chunkier tweed certainly pairs well something a bit on the same spectrum, whereas the newer "city" tweeds in lighter/smoother fabrics can certainly go absolutely fine with chinos. For example, I have a "tweed"-esque check in a year-round weight from the Glorious Twelfth P&H book that falls within that spectrum; it's not really a true tweed fabric, so works great with chinos. But for a mid-weight/mid-rough tweed like the one pictured earlier, I'd tend to veer towards heavier-looking trousers.

Last edited:

johanm

Reaction score

I don't think wool trousers automatically puts a look into the realm of drab business casual. It depends on the exact cloth and the style. Sure, a pair of unremarkable worsted middling-grey trousers paired with a tweed jacket is admittedly quite dull, but I don't think (m)any were recommending that. Certainly I, for one, was thinking more along the lines of flannel or donegal. Even within the realm of cotton trousers, I think cavalry twill or cords work better with tweed to my eye than regular chinos. Again, though, I'm not seeing the look through US eyes, which I certainly accept alters (a bit) the paradigm of what tends to look good together.

The exact weight/feel of the tweed matters too. A rougher/chunkier tweed certainly pairs well something a bit on the same spectrum, whereas the newer "city" tweeds in lighter/smoother fabrics can certainly go absolutely fine with chinos. For example, I have a "tweed"-esque check in a year-round weight from the Glorious Twelfth P&H book that falls within that spectrum; it's not really a true tweed fabric, so works great with chinos. But for a mid-weight/mid-rough tweed like the one pictured earlier, I'd tend to veer towards heavier-looking trousers.

I didn't say "drab" business casual, on the contrary I was talking about "dandified" business casual. I could see tweed + wool making sense if you work somewhere where suits aren't expected but jeans/cotton trousers are too casual. As I said, I like the look in theory but personally find myself either wearing suits (for work or formal events) or jeans/cotton trousers. I'd feel strange wearing wool trousers when shopping or going to lunch on a weekend but YMMV.

Definitely agree with your point that top and bottom should match in terms of seasonality/weight. Would not wear a 22 oz tweed with summer weight chinos, or a lightweight Glorious Twelfth tweed with heavy moleskins or cords.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
It was really interesting to read the bit I've bolded, as I've never even thought about it in that way.

I just did a mental tally of what I wear and I'd say in winter, I wear wool about 2/3-3/4 of the time and most of the rest, I'm wearing cords or (more rarely) jeans. In summer, it tilts quite heavily in favour of chinos or other similar cotton trousers, with linen thrown in too. ymmv, absolutely!

Last edited:

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great looking sweater and nice fit. Deets?

Once again a fantastic sweater!

Thanks gentlemen! It is a jcrew donegal sweater. I know not the best quality but for my budget and stage of life I think they great. This is this years model which isn't as soft of a wool blend as last year but the flecks of color are more pronounced and the fit is slimmer through the body. It is on sale right now in some sizes (medium, large I think).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 to sweater love.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads