1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. applky

applky Well-Known Member

Truth. It was a lazy pic. Unbuttoned the jacket the rest of the day. Though, honestly, at the beach, I think these kinds of rules don't apply. In agreement with you in all other circumstances. Anywhere but the beach I would never wear an untucked shirt with a jacket.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  2. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

I like the look. Would be better still with the shirt tucked imo.
    (with SC I like shirts to be tucked)

3. applky

applky Well-Known Member

Point taken from both of you @sugarbutch and @Crat . Ironically, the reason why I don't post fits in this thread is that I usually dress too formally for MC Casual. This summer, though, I should be posting here more often.

4. Crat

Crat Well-Known Member

Would have been fine without the jacket and maybe more beach-y.

I get your point though, I also dress too formally for MC casual when I'm working and too informally in my free time.
    MC casual can also be tricky due to the fact that it can quickly become Dad-ish.

5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i have spent most of the weekend in linen and cotton. its fantastic.

2 people like this.
  6. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

Are you ready to embrace the wrinkle? Linen jackets are amazing. And will probably work wonderfully with the new, toned down, tieless Stitchy.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

I f'g love linen… especially silk/linen blend. I don't understand why it's given the "ugly stepchild" treatment sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  8. Claghorn

I prefer wool linen to silk linen (doesn't silk linen run a little hot?), but both are out of the question for Stitchy because shatnez. He's got to go 100% linen. And he should. Now.

Linen, as well as being one of the few times I post something in which a tie isn't involved.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2014
    8 people like this.
  9. Kid Nickels

Hmmm… actually I don't know about the temperature difference as I don't think I have any wool/linen… just 100% or with silk. I get cold easily so I probably don't notice but I'll have to keep that in mind. Yes, Stitchy will have to stick to 100% but that's not a problem…. good stuff!

10. in stitches

i have always liked linen for spring/summer more casual wear, and i like the wrinkles in that context. its for suit and jackets that i have problems dealing with it (again, for myself that is, it looks smashing on others). maybe i will change some day, but with my OCD like tendencies when it comes to the drape of my dress clothing, that is unlikely.

i will be posting a fit later today, in SWD, maybe i will x-post here or reg WAYWRN for you, that has cotton/linen in the shirt and jacket, and i love it. i feel much better with that wrinkly look in a more slouchy SWD vibe. and yesterday i was wearing cotton/linen shorts and a cotton/linen shirt. no pic because i have ghostly legs. : (

also, as i have stated before, it is only wool + linen that is shatnez, and a no go for me. cotton/linen, silk linen, cotton/wool, silk/wool...... are all ok. wool + linen is the only prohibition.

11. Claghorn

I thought you couldn't mix animal product with plant product? Ah, though Dr. Wik E. Pedia has something about them loosening the rules up at some point to allow for some combinations.

12. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Oh you guys are talking about religious rules or something. Got it. At what point do these get thrown out the window for being totally arbitrary and dated?

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Do you really think anything productive will come out of your question?

3 people like this.
  14. in stitches

animal and plant can be mixed. no idea where you got that from.

um, there not really any loosening of the rules i am aware of. there is an exception, the one that allows a seller of shatnez garments to model his wares to sell them, but outside of that, none i am aware of.

--

SB - he has a bone to pick with me. id rather if we just let that comment pass. this is not the place to argue about religion. im happy to answer curious questions, but i am not interested in debating.

15. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Well-Known Member

Unaware expectation of world improvement was required to make posts. Was under impression people sometimes expressed musings. My mistake.

16. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

Semi-professional bonus shot of yesterdays outfit. I had lunch in the hotel I work and the lady to my side is one of the beautifull workmates.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  17. Kid Nickels

^ Looks great DC! Deine Fraulein?

@in stitches … so curious question… wasn't there a post you made detailing a certain prohibition among particular fabrics together? I remember I was really surprised I hadn't heard of it.. could you explain it again? Thanks!

18. DonCologne

DonCologne Well-Known Member

She is one of the lovliest workmates. But to be my Fräulein I think I am at least 10 years to old.

1 person likes this.
  19. in stitches

no probs. its pretty simple. there is a jewish law against wearing garments that are made of a wool + linen blend. the hebrew word is "shatnez." its the only prohibited fabric blend.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

I find some of these religious rules have their root in common sense and wisdom, while others are just silly. What's the rationale (if any) for this one?