1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Have the same jacket. Love it

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

3. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Temperature nearly the 30°C (86°F) so today my first outfit in the styleforum without shirt and jacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I like my polo shirts to have a narrower sleeve cuff that hugs the bicep a bit more instead of hanging like this one does. That said, I really like this casual warm weather outfit, especially the seersucker and spectator derby combo.

YMMV

1 person likes this.
  5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

DonC, I hope you'll take this in the spirit intended: This looks like a caricature of old-man style. The polo looks like up-sized Garanimals. The pants are too wide for the negative break at which they're hemmed. And the shoes look like jazzy orthopedic shoes.

3 people like this.
  6. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

Because this is the internet you are free to write what you want at, but personal I like positive thinking persons much more than people who first seeing the negative aspects.
    And maybe you think your words are funny, but I think it´s much better to laugh with the people than to laugh at somebody.

7. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

From the perspective of someone with a similar build to Don's, bicep-hugging polo shirts generally don't work for us. I bought a RRL one during the last sale, but sent it back based solely on the sleeves (about a half-inch too short and just a bit too tight). I will say, if Don wants a marginal improvement in the fit of the shirt, he could have the sleeves taken in slightly.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. southbound35

southbound35 Senior member

Not to pile on, Don, but all three of his points were spot-on. Perhaps he could have delivered the message with a bit less snark, but he did mention that it was meant with good intention.

As for the positive thinking/seeing negative aspects part, one of the main advantages of this board (generally) and thread (specifically) is getting honest, constructively critical feedback. I'd rather be told the pattern of my shirt is too big, the opening of my pants is too wide for their length, and my spectator shoes look a bit blobby than (a) have no comment made at all; (b) be told I look great if that wasn't an honest opinion; or (c) be told I look terrible with no explanation.

2 people like this.
  9. DonCologne

DonCologne Senior member

that´s all true but I do not like, when people make their critical feedback with the intention to make fun of somebody. Most times people who make somebody look like a fool, make this to consider oneself superior. Maybe I am wrong and he has an other intention (espacially because I am not a native speaker).

10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

@DonCologne - I think you have three interesting pieces there that each deserve to stand alone. Not a huge fan of the polo, but maybe pair it with solid pants & shoes (maybe untucked?), or try the pants with a white polo or linen BD. Just some thoughts.

Picked up this blouson yesterday, giving it a shot today:

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  11. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

When I read his comment I didn't sense any malice at all I think it was said in a light hearted manner.

I generally really like your fits and I like this significantly less than your other ones and I think his comments are worth considering. Take thst as you please.

1 person likes this.
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think my comment did not translate well for you. There was no snark in my comment at all, and I wasn't laughing at you. I was being descriptive of the what the elements of your outfit evoked for me.

For example, here's a Garanimals shirt from the 1970s (I may actually have owned this very shirt as a child):

[​IMG]

The critique of your pants was strictly about fit.

The last of the shoes is chunky, and the rubber sole does make it look like an orthopedic shoe. The cloth/leather spectator design is jazzy.

Especially given that English is not your first language, perhaps you can presume that something is lost in translation rather than that you're being insulted? This isn't the first time that you've reacted poorly to an innocuous comment.

3 people like this.
  13. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

don, don don, you have been here too long to really have this kind of reply. SB has given you many a compliment before, maybe more than most people here even.

he was simply saying that this fit was bad. and it was. did he perhaps say it in a way that maybe busted your balls a bit? sure. but SF has always been that way. i have been called all kinds of things, and my dress has been poked fun at countless times. but when i know its from people that i have learned are good guys that are just joshing a bit, i can enjoy a good laugh along with the feedback.

dont take it so hard, it wasnt meant to be in this case. it was a bad fit, no big deal, come back next time with something better and im sure you will get the praise you deserve.

2 people like this.
  14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

There's both a linguistic and, perhaps more importantly, a cultural gap which needs bridging in this case. I speak as someone who has spent some time in the German-speaking world.

Don C: I'm quite certain that SB meant no disrespect, and that his (always useful) advice was meant to be helpful, and should be accepted in that spirit.

Mit Dank und besten Grüßen,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  15. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

@ Don - you give the impression of being a very nice chap and I enjoy your pictures, but I honestly think you're being a bit sensitive here. As you suggest it may be a language thing, enschulligen bitte, mein Deutsche es nicht sehr gut, so please don't be dismayed about what I read to be a light hearted critique.

@ Sugarbutch - you cold heartless bastard! How could you? For shame Butch, for shame!

1 person likes this.
  16. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Sugarbutch has done you two favors - (1) telling you what's up and (2) not being as mean about it as he easily could have been. You should thank him twice.

1 person likes this.
  17. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Don, having a build similar to yours I avoid horizontally striped shirts entirely.

I'm not sure anyone, regardless of build, can get away with bold horizontal stripes worn with vertical stripes.

The shoes are awful.

18. ErikJN

ErikJN Senior member

First post in this thread - typical outfit for school.

[​IMG]

Barbour jacket
    Luxire shirt
    Equus belt
    Luxire pants
    Herring chukkas
    Saddleback bag

10 people like this.
  19. europrep

europrep Senior member

20. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

First time ever in my entire life (and believe me, that's a loooooong time) that I'm wearing chinos - or chino-like trousers.
    I mean, how does one wear those things?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.