1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

He's perfectly harmless and occasionally raises something of vague interest; there are worse posters out there. Blinkered and/or mischievous isn't a banning reason; there's always the ignore button if he really grates, but I don't find him tiresome in the small doses I experience when encounter him randomly in a thread (I never open the threads he starts, of course, so that helps).

And to answer his (rhetorical) question to me prior to posting screencaps from one of my favourite movies ever by way of his own cheeky answer: one of those things - perhaps the most important - is the simple & uncomplicated enjoyment of creating an outfit that you like the look of in the mirror before going out the house. Or in other words, "Be the ball... nananananana..."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Agreed Holdfast.

Reev's attempts to puncture the pomposity of this board are welcome on occasion, but they would meet with so much more success if he didn't have such strident opinions which are at odds with a lot of what people come here for, which begs the question, why is he here?

I suppose I could go on a hipster forum and rip the piss out of all their ridiculous facial hair experiments and tell them they all look idiotic and need to grow up, but I doubt it would achieve anything beyond some mild measure of catharsis.

1 person likes this.
  3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

That made me LOL. Why didn't I think of that!

Go read my 2500 posts.
    I have greatly contributed here in my way.
    There is value no not just towing the party line.

This might explain my story
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/326622/renounced-mc-cbd-in-favor-of-toned-down-sharp-casual

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    While I don't enjoy all the merchandise they push, I do like JCrew. In my opinion, it's the best mall brand out there with the exception of Brooks Brothers which appeals to a different demographic and needs.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
  6. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I didn't derail anything. Others did.
    I came here looking to discuss toned down casual outfits that are more appropriate for real life than jester's outfits.
    I posted these for discussion, but my post was trolled by others.

7. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Why?

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Where do you live? How old are you? What types of women do you find attractive? These are all important questions as to your perspectives on the matter.

And you do realize occasionally sticking out like a sore thumb and eliciting a response is a good thing. The only response those second outfits will get (on a guy without model good looks) is complete indifference.

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I should also say, I know a guy who is a good looking guy who dresses exactly like out of a mall catalog, spends tons of money at Gap, BR, J.Crew, etc., yet bitches to me all the time about how he can't get girls. When it comes down to it, how you dress matters a lot less than you think, as long as you're not a slob.

10. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

The flaw with the argument you are making is that you took submissions from the MC WAYWRN thread, and not the MC Casual thread. In all but the most extreme cases, WAYWRN submissions aren't worn out for cocktails or on a date. But this is what you are using to push your opinion on the matter. So discussing what people wear to work versus what people wear out for drinks are two totally separate discussions and should addressed as such. Now, if you'd like to show some MC Casual examples that illustrate your point, that would be a far more accurate way to do so.

2 people like this.
  11. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

Am I the only one who doesn't see a *huge* difference between the Banana Republic pics that Reev posted and many of the fits that are posted on MC casual? I mean, the tailored fit casual cotton blazers are the same, the trou are generally similar (except for the cargo pants one), its mostly the shirts that are different (kind of cheap looking plaids). Sure, up close the quality of the garments may be different than what is in favor in SF, but the general look seems fairly mainstream (for MC Casual, not for WAYWRN).

12. AMProf

AMProf Senior member

You know, some of us older guys with wives and kids still do, remarkably, also have an interest in getting laid (albeit by our wives). Looking good still helps.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Haha, good point, I should have clarified that in my post. Although, dressing like a douchey BR model definitely wouldn't help me get laid with my wife.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Allow me to wade in with my own anecdata. Many women find men in suits (especially handsome, fit men) irresistible. Many women find men in casual clothing (especially handsome, fit men) irresistible. There's even a strange contingent who find men in no clothing (especially handsome, fit men) irresistible.

7 people like this.
  15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

For serious, though, what my wife and our female friends seem to find most compelling in menswear is looking like you actually give a shit about how you look. Tie or no, disheveled schlub is not a winning look.

16. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Erkel, Orville Redenbacher, and Pee Wee all care about how they look.

17. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Senior member

It really wasn't that funny the first time. There are some outlandish outfits on this site, but that's what we like around here. You like to look like a hipster, I like to look like James Bond. Whatever, when I was a child in my 20's I thought Grunge was the shit as well. What the hell difference does what I wear affect you? Why you gotta be all up in my grill? Why not just snort internally and say look at those losers than yell upstairs for your mom to bring you a sandwich?

1 person likes this.
  18. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

This is the essence of this guy. He only cares about clothing in the context of trolling a clothing forum. The suicide shoes thread was horrible and he should've been banned then.

19. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

20. chogall

chogall Senior member

You ain't the only one. Both are sports coat, shirt, and trouser look. Just some people had a hard time realize that BR/JCrew look is essentially the MC Casual look. The only differences are fit, quality of the garment, and brand.

The difference between Boglioli/PT01/incotex and BR/JCrew is very slim.