1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

I think higher rise jeans would make the thighs look less large since there would be more distance between the thighs are the top of the jeans. I think it would also make you look taller. In fact, I can't believe those jeans have a 12" rise since they still look really low on you.

But I know it's not easy to find high rise jeans. I have heard Studio D'Artisan 101 is high rise and larger in the thighs

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  3. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

it's not hard to find high rise, large thigh jeans with a taper. that's exactly what vintage-style denim is. almost any sugarcane cut, 80% of samurai and iron heart cuts, most LVCs ('47, '33). if you want to get more eclectic, you could look at roy, ande whall (which is an awesome deal - probably best price for the $), rising sun, SDA, some somet cuts.

4. joshuasaussey

joshuasaussey Well-Known Member

Thanks Jester, much appreciated [​IMG]

Thanks for the suggestions, I have checked out most of those brands and models before (I picked up a pair of Left Field "Greasers" which I'm waiting for to arrive.) Most of the models you guys suggest are nearly the same measurements as my pair now (11.5-12" rise, 13-14" thighs, 9-10" knee and 8.5-9" leg opening) the only difference is the weight and denim used.

To make matters worse, my already muscular legs are naturally short anyway, my jeans and trousers all have 12-13" rise.

5. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

You need an 8" leg opening and cuffs no break

6. joshuasaussey

Not a fan of cuffs, would rather hem them with no break.

7. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

When you get the new denim, try it. The reason cuffs are superior is that they create a cleaner line and provide weight

8. mothball

mothball Well-Known Member

I would probably not recommend cuffs if you think your legs already look short and wide, Josh, but certainly try it & see how you like it.

9. joshuasaussey

+1 that's what I was thinking, that's why I hemmed and never cuffed in the first place.

10. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

cuffing and wearing denim isn't the same as cuffing dress pants. you're also not THAT short and your thighs aren't that big - if mafoofan can get away with 2" cuffs at 5'3, you shouldn't have any issues with a good cuff/roll on some jeans. whats your actual inseam? I'm 6'1 but have a short inseam for my height (30") and I cuff everything.

2 people like this.
  11. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

my own denim fit for today:

wvg
    ande whall (first wear!)
    yuketen

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. RogerP

RogerP Well-Known Member

Casual gear from earlier this week.

Jacket - Jack victor
    Shirt - Rosen store brand
    PS - Drakes
    Pants - Brax
    Boots - Carmina

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Cuffs on dress trousers aren't the same as cuffs on denim. The lighter reverse of the denim definitely reduces the apparent length of the leg.

You could be right about all of your suggestions, but you aren't doing a good job of arguing for them.

1 person likes this.
  14. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

This is my kind of fit, simple and easy. Well done. Not a critique in sight.

Rolled/cuffed jeans.. I don't understand it. I'm with you 100%, except I think a slight break works. I have quite a bit of break in my jeans but that's preference. I think casual pants like jeans and chinos need some break. Basically, I always thought there should be a 'transition' to the shoe to make it look better. Cuffs on the work pants and break on the casual pants. No break and no cuff is hard for me. But, it gets done well all the time. Spoo is a perfect example. But, again, that's not jeans or chinos.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Roger, that is very nice! What color are the glasses?

16. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

SPIDER TEGS!!!!!

roger - superb.

17. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Well-Known Member

Fantastic outfit Roger!

18. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

+100000 I I still refer to my fathers book "Dress for Success" which told me the perfect way to wear pants. Single break in front, touching top of the heel in back for dress pants. I like a tad longer on jeans. I see people with their cuffs in jeans and sometimes it looks good, but I think it belongs on young skinny guys. Josh's fit looked fine to me the only thing I would have done different is probably a walnut colored monk strap instead of loafers.

19. mrjester

mrjester Well-Known Member

Good call on the monkstrap. But as a guy who owns two suede string loafers, with another on the way, as well as a navy shell full-strap (and maybe getting more later), loafers are excellent in my eyes. Nothing wrong with a good monk. A suede single monk (NOT the Carmina one at Epaulet that's basically a double monk) is hard to beat. Spoo and NOBD have some of the best.

20. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Well-Known Member

Filson shirt, Levis, socks by Brooks, shoes are AE.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.