1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. elisiX

elisiX Senior member

2. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Thanks guys.

JCrew Tweed from this past winter.

:laugh: ¿Qué esperas? Unas alpargatas y "manpris"?

3. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Some good looks today folks.

That bowtie combo is excellent CP. You do wool sweaters so well.

Gnatty, I think a darker brown leather would have looked great with this. I think that jacket screams for jeans for contrast but I love the fit and the pants are great. Are they jcrew by chance? Deets if not?

El Argentino, great use of a grey sportcoat. I would normally never try to pair a bold plaid like that with a sportcoat but you made this look good. Gives me some ideas. Sadly, my light grey sportcoat is a pronounced herringbone and likely calls for a more subdued pattern.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Those pants and that jacket have no business being worn at the same time.

5. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Rambo, question. How would you feel about a camel colored sweater ontop of pants like that? or is it the outerwear connotation of the color coordination that bugs you? Would a darker color be necessary or preferred with pants that are in the orange spectrum?

6. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Maybe. And that's a BIG maybe. Those orange pants really call for something either very very light (e.g. white, light light blue, light cream, etc.), or something in the dark spectrum. Its definitely the mustard color of the jacket. I don't know how it looks IRL, but the photo is very clashing. Also not a fan of that #8 shell color with orange, but that's more my personal preference.

7. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Ah ok because I have a camel colored sweater that I wanted to wear with a similar shade of pants. Maybe I should go with a dark brown or dark grey instead? I do have a white/off-white lambswool i could also try.

8. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I like your approach.

One thing I'd like to see from you is to try an untucked shirt underneath your motocycle jackets. A tee would be the easiest option, but also I think most of your sport shirts would be fine.

The reason for this is that the cropped nature of the motocycle jacket tends to cut you in half. yeah, it makes your legs look longer, but the contrast is just a little too jarring.

A long tee or untucked sport shirt (e.g. flannel) peaking out underneath helps break up the proportions a bit better.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Put it on and post a pic. You don't have to wear it out of the house just to test out the look.

10. Crat

Crat Senior member

I really don't like shirts or jumpers peaking out from underneath motorcycle jackets, even with their short nature. I might just have to get over it though but somehow it seems untidy to me.

2 people like this.
  11. El Argentino

I generally agree with this. Shirt extending down past the jacket is usually a no-go, although I don't mind it with very cropped denim jackets and the sort. Could work.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  12. Crat

Crat Senior member

I'll contribute with my take on the leather motorjacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. TheloniusDrunk

TheloniusDrunk Senior member

^Inspiring...now I want one.

14. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Thanks for the kind shout out.

As for "brands" of bow ties, I don't think you can go wrong with any maker's offerings. Go for the color and pattern is appealing to you. The tie in this picture is all wool and is not easy to maneuver into a nice knot. Perhaps stick with a silk tie for starters. Brooks Bros, and others, sell grenadine bow ties which are easy to handle and make a nice knot. Of course, IMO, a bow tie ought not look too perfect.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

crat - pants are a bit snug for me (read - i am too fat to wear pants like that) but its a great look. defo works for ya.

16. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Just a note for anyone thinking about venturing into bow ties.\

I've been wearing bow ties for the past few years and I think for anyone wanting to get into them they should also make sure that the height or width of the "wings" is a proper size compared to their head/body. I have a few bow ties now that I deem unwearable because they are too tall or wide.

17. El Argentino

And thus we see the source of any and all criticism of fit nuances.

Fattyness.

18. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

pretty much, lol.

19. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Had this sweater combo pull double duty yesterday. Casual during the day, more dressed up in the evening at a nice place to eat. New sportcoat, Boglioli. A little more extended shoulder than I normally get but I am starting to enjoy the look better on me as I believe it balances me out a bit more, though I wouldn't find feedback. Sorry for cruddy pictures. I have no way to take full body snapshots with the cell phone at the moment.

[​IMG]

w/ outerwear

w/ Sportcoat

[​IMG]

Detail picture (better quality) and robo pose for new jacket w/o sweater (sorry for macbook image on that one...)

2 people like this.
  20. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

looks good but I think you need a higher collar that stands a bit taller above your jacket

1 person likes this.