• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Take 2.
Pants still not hemmed, please to not harp on that. You may harp on the rest if you like.
7ybavyga.jpg

the "awful" shoes again. you need something else, imo.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

stitch - shoes don't work with this outfit/pants. Everything is biz cas but the shoes are very casual. I know you're receiving conflicting advice here but that's the nature of the beast, there's good advice and there's bad advice.

i second that.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Much better

thanks!

stitch - shoes don't work with this outfit/pants. Everything is biz cas but the shoes are very casual. I know you're receiving conflicting advice here but that's the nature of the beast, there's good advice and there's bad advice.

Well, this time, he's made a shoe choice which doesn't work in a different way: the colour. If these had been a darker suede, it would probably work - the exact range of colours that would work would depend on what colour the trousers are, and I can't really see that. The shirt is much better all round.

+1, those shoes do not work with dark pants. Are those black pants, stitch?

Stich - I agree with the previous posters that a darker colour suede shoe would look better here. The shoes look nice individually but they are too light for the trousers. Alternatively you could switch the trousers for something in a lighter colour and keep the shoes. Shirt is nice.

thanks guys, the pants are decidedly navy. they come off much lighter in irl, the lighting made them darker in the pic. they are the only other casual shoes i have atm, and i was trying them out per the advise of hendrix. i think irl, it does not look all that bad, but darker would be more ideal. add that to list of items i need to kop. i think chocolate suede chukkas would be a welcome addition, one that would be quite usable and belongs in a wardrobe build. yes?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
parker and gdl come to mind.

Yeah, gdl does alright. Parker, I wouldn't generally class as MC Casual - he's very much on the smart end of SW&D these days, although he can generally pull off almost anything he feels like. This does all get back to the discussion about what 'MC Casual' really is. For some people, it's anything that isn't a suit and tie; or defined by the wearing of an odd jacket; for others, it can't involve a tie at all. At it's worst it is 'business casual'. I find it a weird category to get to grips with, which I think is why so few people do it well - and it's very much a case of 'you know what good MC casual is when you see it'.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i hear that. and there are a select few that manage to always do well.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you gentlemen categorise the look of Alan See(to the right)?
I like it a lot and would call it MC casual because loafers and going sockless is a bit too casual for my eye to make it business casual, tie no matter what.
What is your opinion?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How would you gentlemen categorise the look of Alan See(to the right)?
I like it a lot and would call it MC casual because loafers and going sockless is a bit too casual for my eye to make it business casual, tie no matter what.
What is your opinion?

I'd say the combination of cotton trousers, odd jacket and no socks makes it 'casual' rather than the loafers per se - and it's certainly not business anything. My problem is that I just hate loafers anyway - they almost made me dislike Victor's otherwise excellent fit today.

Mind you, if you go back to the OP, it's almost all shirts and chinos and bucks and the like. I think what was envisaged for this thread was a lot more casual than this!

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, I dislike most bucks, longwing blutchers etc.
I much prefer Alan's style, even though I would pair a single breasted patch pocketed jacket, OCBD and go without tie with those trousers and loafers.
Seems I am right between the extrems, no idea if it's a good or bad thing.

Last edited:

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have been woefully behind on every thread due to medical problems but I wanted some advice from you guys. I finished my last day at work today :( so I will not be wearing as many formal outfits and want to step up my casual game this fall and winter. I have found some jeans that I think fit me well and I will be posting more fits in the future to get some feedback on all of that. Today, however, I am mostly interested in shoe advice.

I am purchasing a brown cap toe balmoral for my suit and jacket days but I would like to purchase a boot (calf or cordovan, as I already have 2 suede that I like) and a blucher that can both pull double duty with jeans, chinos, and grey flannels if I wear them with a sweater and less structured jacket. Any advice? I was looking into AE daltons for the boot and either alden longwings or the RL cordovans in the wingtip. As for color, is darker brown or cigar more versatile than a walnut or burnt orange leather? I am looking for something with a bit of pop with dark jeans and can be worn with jeans, cords, and chinos in a variety of fall colors (tans, browns, grey etc.). Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the looks of Carmina over those of AE and Alden, have you considered a pair of them?
Also, get well soon!

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads