1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Lookin snazzy doc. The grey undershirt might be better in white. Something about it looks too matchy to me.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

you win

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I gotta go against the groupthink on the t-shirt, Doc. I think this looks good. I fail to understand the preference for the open v-neck versus the crew-neck t-shirt. Generally I'd much rather see some cotton than man pelt, plus it serves a similar visual purpose as a necktie by bringing the eye up to the face.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I don't mind the undershirt so much as the color. It really offsets the sweater and jacket.

5. DLester

DLester Senior member

Hi, visiting from SWD

NYR you been sleeping under a bridge? Seen better from you.

I have a Zara coat as well and it exceeded my expectations.

NOBD looks good, per usual.

Some in this thread should consider slimming your pants up a bit. Don't have to go skinny.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  6. DLester

DLester Senior member

I would not pair a dark brown shirt and navy blazer. I don't want to discourage people from experimenting in casual fits, but this does not do it for me. [Dark brown shoes and dark blue jeans work, probably because of the warp/weft of the jeans which the navy blazer does not have].​

7. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

You've got two SF non-approvals going one, and one JT: SF dislikes pleats casually, SF professes disdain for the quarter zip sweater, and on my short list of things I never like are 1) loafers, and 2) cuffs on jeans for MCers.

That's a pretty good haul, considering there are only three elements visible.

Halloween is coming- admit it, you are working on your costume.

8. in stitches

:(

they arent jeans tho.

ill try to be better next time

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

:) To be fair, it's only over in SW&D that the quarter-zip dislike comes out.

I've come to really appreciate that quote about a man's outfit not being
    really complete until a jacket is added.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

^ I don't like 1/4-zips generally but if you're going to wear them, they need something layered on top of them (jacket or casual coat).

My aversion to them is seeing corporate-logo'ed versions of them on too many largely brain-dead individuals at training events and the like.

White? Really? I always thought that was the worse sin.
    Thanks for the feedback and being nice to folks like me who struggle with casual looks! Comes - at least for me - from being found too often in settings where a tailored outfit is the more natural option. So less practice at really casual looks.

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

White would be worse, imo. Overall, I don't think the gray t-shirt looks bad there. It's just a more casual, man of the people style. I'm sure it looked perfectly fine in real life. Maybe not so much on these boards, but that should be less important.

In Stitches: Your clothes don't fit you. Everything is too big and too long. It makes you look out of shape. Size down and hem the pants shorter. I really like the shoes, though.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  12. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Sweater and slacks look too big to me, Stitchy. Try sizing down on the sweater, for instance, and see if that doesn't put the shoulder seams up on your shoulders where they belong. That should also stop the sleeves from bunching up at the cuffs. As you noted already, the slacks are too long, but they're also too roomy, giving you a dumpy appearance. Slim them down or, again, try a smaller size.

I kind of like quarter-zip sweaters myself, and I think they look especially good with a collared shirt peeking out at the top and at the cuffs. Just a thought.

13. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Not gonna beat up on you. Just glad to see you here. Looking forward to more.

Srsly? You need to post a pic to back that kind of talk, homey. Turtleneck or mock turtles only need apply for this job.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  14. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

kiton Jacket
    Brioni Polo
    Brioni Pants
    Ferragamo loafers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. in stitches

thanks a lot for the advise. in fact i usually wear the sweater with an ocbd underneath (was too hot for both and ive been jonesing to put on a sweater since the weather started to turn), which is partially responsible for the larger sweater size. the size below didnt really fit over a shirt and this doest really work without one clearly. pants will be set aside untill i see the tailor.

i wish. its rare all things at work allow me to dress like an adult. but if the stars align again, despite this effort , ill post just for you :)

16. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had a lot of fit issues when I first posted on SF. I came out of the 90's and early 00's feeling good about full cut pants, pleats and more relaxed fitting sweater and jackets. The guys on WAYWRN all said "You look great". It was the guys on SW&D who were brutal but also the most helpful. They pushed me to go for a more trim cut on everything- jeans, dress pants, shirts, sweaters and jackets. That really helped me. I would recommend that you go for more fitted clothing. It will take time, but I bet you will get good feedback. Good luck.

17. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

This thread was very helpful in that it made me realize that dressing well does not always mean CBD or even neckwear in general. :lol: I'm glad to have been part of it. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  18. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Are you leaving?

19. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Linen and cashmere :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(No, not holding my 23" computer screen to take a pic; a nice example of wide angle distortion...)

3 people like this.
  20. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Got a few loose ends to tie up but it would appear so. Thanks for asking!