1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

If you want a merino sweater (if that is what you mean by finger gauge) and something in a similar price range, I would check out club monaco's merino v necks. you can also check out jcrew as well.

2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thanks, I'll have to take a look. I have a shetland and a half (I never wanted homemade sweaters for Christmas when I was little, but now...), plus a few cotton sweaters, but nothing in a lighter wool. Merino or even a fine lambswool would do.

3. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

RL is also a good place for merino wool sweaters for under $40.

4. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

X-Post, sorry it has a tie in it but is sufficiently casual as I am wearing jeans (...maybe not a good idea)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

I had good luck with H&M merino sweaters in the past - nice fit and they last me a couple of years. But watch out, they seem to make them in two different qualities, and (no surprise) the worse one is pretty bad. Around 2008-2009 the better ones were still made in Portugal, though they seem to have moved to China now.

6. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spirit of Shetland sweater Color, spagnum [​IMG]
    Depending on the light, it looks olive green or golden brown.

Wool tie: Pierpont hicks

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Nice sweater, CP. Thought it was a Lockie...

8. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

CP I love that sweater and glad to see you got your sweaters so soon. Can you comment on the armholes and body taper of the sweaters? I was thinking of order one but I prefer sweaters that fit a bit closer to the body that taper from a wider chest (which I can ask for it seems on their MTO program)

Me today, nothing special. Brown loafers on the bottom.

[​IMG]

9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

I would not expect too fancy a MTO service from Spirit of Shetland. This is my 4th sweater from them, and each one is slightly different in size, roominess, etc... Keep in mind that this is a small, cottage industry type place. Very low key. Their MTO program is just for the most basic stuff. This sweater has a traditional fit. As for armholes, they are small. The sleeves are fairly tight fitted. Compared to a Brooks Brothers Shetland sweater, the Spirit product is more slim. This is a sweater more for function rather than for fashion--as are all Shetland sweaters. On a freezing day, as today in Michigan, the engineering of this sweater is doing its job rather well.

By the bye, the sweater in today's post is their OTR medium. I suspected that my measurements are close to their model, and I was right.

10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

citan - love the cardi-thingy.

11. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

sorry, but that is awful.

I know you guys read about jean jackets as a "layering piece" on all the blogs and shit, but it just doesn't make any sense at all.

11 people like this.
  12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

don't be sorry. i can't be the only one to think that these fits suck a bag of dicks.

13. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

When it comes to getting dressed for the real world, I often wonder what some people on this forum (and on the internet as a whole) actually do during the day. You're not layering a denim jacket in the office. And you're not wearing a worsted wool blazer to anyplace you'd feel at home in a denim jacket. So, seriously, where the fuck are you off to in those pictures? And the "to the internet" is not an acceptable answer.

3 people like this.
  14. Teger

Teger Senior member

that dude clearly doesn't give a shit, he's just advertising his awful blog

1 person likes this.
  15. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Yeah I cannot get behind the denim jacket and blazer. it just looks silly and overly desgined.

16. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

I agree 100% with this statement. I would not look at a person in real life wearing random combinations of things as well dressed, I would just think he is trying very, very hard to be "unique" or "express himself." Maybe some people never grow out of that phase and need the outward appearance to speak for them. I feel I have started to develop my personal style and what I feel comfortable in. It should be a reflection of you, not some fad, trend, or attempt to stand out. I feel more and more when I try something on I can tell if it is me or not right away..

17. Crat

Crat Senior member

I agree this is hideous though not everything on his blog is.

18. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

Citan, I love your cardigan looks obviously, but not a fan of that one - all of the pockets are just too much for me. I really would love to see you in something like an SNS Herning stark cardigan NOBD and NYRanger have been seen wearing, very clean but still visually interesting.

19. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Don't mean to pile on the Bigwig but this is exactly the kind of abortion that's espoused in GQ and Esquire, like the wearing of puffer vests over suits, that just marks the poor sap as a fashion victim. You can buy one book like Flusser or Roetzel that gives a very good primer on how to dress and take it from there , but magazines have to sell themselves once a month not once a decade, so they keep coming up with these kind of atrocious combinations and trying to pass them off as the latest 'style' when in reality they are just some hideous fad. Next up: flippers and a kilt!