• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, actually, think that works with trainers. It's the too-much-break I dislike.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly this looks like it was taken directly from TheStyleBlogger's last post. Normally that would be a bad thing, but I actually really like the look. I think the amount of break and the white trainers actually work in context; young guy in a super casual suit. Also props for having your NATO match your beer, most amateurs would have matched the belt.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Interestingly
this looks like it was taken directly from TheStyleBlogger's last post. Normally that would be a bad thing, but I actually really like the look. I think the amount of break and the white trainers actually work in context; young guy in a super casual suit. Also props for having your NATO match your beer, most amateurs would have matched the belt.

changing the wheels is an easy task, when the rest is nailed.

Morgan

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The super casual suit with sneakers look was actually inspired by the j.crew catalog, not styleblogger (god forbid). This was shot Saturday afternoon, and the night included a bike ride to dinner, then to a second location for drinks, then home at the end of the night, and I was happy with the SeaVees' performance.

I do agree that there's too much break, and I think this is because the shoes have no heels. I had them tailored for no break with a pair of Alden longwings, and I'm sinking into the spongy soles.

Crat, sweet fades on the Sugarcanes!

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Sure, its the sexsc02.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for the input guys. sorry for the delay, i was away and posting from my phone. could not address the feedback properly until now.

I think I'm coming to the position that dress shirts, even casual ones, shouldn't be worn without a jacket/cardi/sweater of some sort.

firstly, im sure i agree to that entirely, but more importantly, it was 90 degrees outside, and i was outside, needed a cooler ensemble. i might have died with another layer on me.

Overall, I like it but would've chosen different color shirt.
By the way nice shoes, deets please.

thanks, shoes are zegna couture. one of my fave shoes i have. very comfy, very versatile. al least imo.

sorry dude, this outfit is all over the place.
the pants look very casual (and the cuff is very sloppy), but you're wearing very formal shined dress shoes? and the shirt is just kind of ug.

i still dont see why you think these pants are so casual. they really dont seem to be irl, imo. along with that, i think the dress shoes work with the pants.

the cuff is sloppy. i havent hemmed it yet, so that is about 4 folds to get it to proper length.

as to the shirt, i like it. YMMV.

I have to agree with teger - and I would have expected something a quantum leap above this from someone with over 27,000 posts on the forum. I had to check I had that right: 27,275, in fact!

lol

1. post count and being well dressed rarely have anything to with each other.

2. everyone misses sometimes.

3. i think the outfit looked much better irl, where you can see the true colors and textures of the individual pieces.

Stitches
1. Why are you still rolling your shirt cuffs only a quarter way up like that? It's terribly unflattering.
2. If you're going to wear a shirt casually, it needs to have casual details. Button-down collar, beefy oxford or flannel fabric, often a chest pocket or two etc etc. I'm sure you know this already, why aren't you implementing?
3. Ultra sleek loafers do not work with casual pants. I think we've said that before...they also don't work for your body type TBH.
4. Those pants actually fit better than most others I've seen on you. They might work with those tan bucks you have, and perhaps a navy gingham check casual shirt.

1. that was a mistake, they should have had another roll or two. might have fallen doen over the day, but yeah, looks bad.

2. as i posted in the recent purchases thread, i have come to that conclusion more or less. why i have nit implemented, i really dont have all that many shirts like that yet. :(

3. see above reply to teger. as to body type, probably true, but i like these shoes, and ill continue to wear them. please not to hate me.

4. thanks, i really do like the fit on these, though i am not used to such a narrow tapered leg. i was actually thinking about exactly that combo. i was afraid it may be too much blue, and i thought the slim look of the pant may not jive with the round larger look of the shoes. ill try that combo out out soon. let me know if you think it works any better.

thanks for taking the time to organize your feedback so well.

I read somewhere that striped dress shirts should never be worn without a jacket.

But I've seen it working before...

let's analyse this in comparison to stitches fit:

- belt is same colour as shoes, or at least lighter in colour.
- his cuffs as well as his shirt collar is not sloppy.
- he is ryan gosling.
- next to the person left of gosling, everybody looks dapper.

lol

1. my belt and shoes are the same color. maybe the pic doesnt show that

2. truth

3. no fair

4. :laugh:

I don't like the way your collar points are laying down on your shoulders, Stitchy. Have you tried magnetic collar stays yet?

the one thing i do not love about this shirt, is that it does not have slits for collar stays. i have no idea why. its RLPL, anyone find that with their shirts? i think maybe they wanted to give it a more casual feel. who knows.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd +1, but I'm wearing a jacket (though not a blazer) with a t-shirt right now. :embar: I've always hated the look but I'm traveling today and decided to dress for comfort; besides it's an unstructured casual jacket that has a vibe similar to IST's. I now think I like the look.

PICS!

@ crat - really liked your last 2 posts here. :cheers:

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
stitches the shirt is just ugly. it can't be saved. the pants are casual because they have no crease, the fabric is casual and the cut is casual (lower rise). and those pants aren't the proper length, they're too long.

you would also benefit from dressing less.. 'sloppy'. a sharp crease will make your legs seem straighter and balance out your top half better, same with more straight leg pants. a properly ironed collar will look better too.

because i'm lazy (and you seem to like j crew), these are two ways to do what you're trying to do better:

casual:

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts/oxfordshirts/PRDOVR~60763/60763.jsp in light blue, untucked

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/pants/brokeninchinos/PRDOVR~19488/19488.jsp in navy

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/casualbootschukkas/PRDOVR~28356/28356.jsp

formal:

http://www.jcrew.com/browse/popup_s...6561_GY6480_m?$pdp_fs418$&isFeatureColor=true in navy

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts/ludlowdressshirts/PRDOVR~99439/99439.jsp tucked in

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shoes/AldenForJCrew/PRDOVR~20853/20853.jsp or some sort of brown leather blucher.

done.

i know it's fun to mix worlds and stuff, but you need to get the basics down first.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
post count and being well dressed rarely have anything to with each other.

I am aware of this, but I try to have some respect for people who've been around here longer than me - unless they are just rude, and you certainly aren't. If you were new, I would have said something like the cliché, 'post less and lurk more', but that would clearly be rather too late in your case!

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that a lot Igor!
Others might disagree because you go flap pockets without a tie, but I think the suit fits you very well and you look clean and crisp.
Maybe add a white PS to finish the look?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics