WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

The sleeves of my OCBDs, when rolled up, stay below elbow level.
    I don't own any dress shirts at the moment, but I would neither wear them without a jacket nor would I roll their sleeves up.

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Unbutton cuff. Flip cuff once. Flip cuff again. Give it a try. If it still annoys you, you should probably stop rolling. That above-the-elbow thing is not a good look.

The only exception I can think of is when wearing one of those safari shirts that have the little button tabs already sewn in that hold your rolled-up sleeves in place. But even then the cuffs don't usually sit right above the elbow. They usually sit higher on the upper arm, exposing the he-man biceps.

[​IMG]

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    With sleeve rolling, I find it depends on the shirt. Some of mine look better below the elbow and some above. Wish I had some solid reasoning behind this, but it's something I have noticed over the years and just go with it.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Just so long as you roll them correctly. Vox laid down hard and fast rules for this. No exceptions.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Do you have a link to the thread with these "hard and fast of which no exceptions can be made" rules for sleeve rolling? :laugh:

6. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

all i have is this

[​IMG]

7. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

No matter what I'm rolling up, I prefer them to stay below my elbow. I think for Alex, who has very long forearms, he should give this approach a go and see how that looks.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

The bagginess of the shirt helps with this impression as well. It looks more like a work uniform shirt than anything dressy. Plus, his arms are so skinny that they sort of hang there.

9. bourbonbasted

I wish I could remember where it was. If only B was still patrolling, I'm sure he'd drop a link. I just remember him toying with a new member over the proper way to roll sleeves. Obviously a ridiculous notion, but Vox took him on quite the ride.

10. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

St. Petersburg stroll with rolled sleeves :embar:

[​IMG]

11. bourbonbasted

The fit's good and all that, but I'm having a hard time seeing past the missus. Seriously though, you two look quite good together. What did you think of St. Petersburg?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

12. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

hah too kind :D

I really like SPB. Been to Russia quite a few times in the last 10 years (Trans Siberian to North Korea back in 2003) and a spattering of visits to other cities since then (Moscow a few times).

I think it has a more European feel than Moscow. Lots of interesting places to visit and some really fantastic bars and restaurants. I'd definitely recommend it.

13. bourbonbasted

I've been twice now. I too enjoy the culture of the city, though I can't say the same for the weather. Both times I've been it has been beyond drab. Then again, as an Englishman, I suppose that is tanning weather for you anyways :D

14. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

Is this what you're referring to? This method creates a nice roll that stays in place, but I don't use it because it's pretty constricting on the forearm and it requires too much effort. I'm a lazy sack.

[​IMG]

15. bourbonbasted

I think that was what the new member was referencing. Vox's advice was obviously tongue-in-cheek. I too was kidding. There's no "right way" to roll your sleeves up. I suppose if they kept falling down you might investigate a better way, but there is certainly not a proper method. The fact that GQ insists there is one is further evidence that it's completely ridiculous.