Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

I am going to weigh in on this argument because I've done some serious lurking in both this and the swd waywrn thread exclusively in the past few days. I have to agree with what I bolded from parker. The problem or I guess better phrased "what frustrates me" in this thread is the lack of dedication to a casual outfit. This obviously is not aimed at everyone of course because a lot of people in this thread create inspiring casual looks. I think if anything a MC Casual-er can learn from SWD is that a casual look can be a finished/serious look. Not just something you wear when gardening, playing with your children, or whatever.

Maybe this is just because I am a generation-y-er but I rarely find myself the need to dress as people do in the mc waywrn thread. It doesn't mean I can't appreciate it but it's not formative to me in my style development/inspiration because it's not anything I would wear. On the flip side of the coin, I would never wear drop-crotch shorts and RO dunks. I still can appreciate the looks of each thread respectively and maybe learn something from it though.

In summation, I don't think MC or SWD are boxes that I can necessarily fit my style into and I don't think everyone's style should be defined by forum subdivisions

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

we want free highways. afaik, germany is the last country, who has some of them...

3. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

4. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

... NOBD needs to post more. I think that might help.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

And there you go.

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

It isn't that dogmatic -- people are generally saying that for some, the fix might lie in looking at swd fits. Won't work for everyone. But it can't hurt so why not give it a go and see what happens.

Most good mc casual would be well received in swd btw.

7. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Not true. Time and time again, good MC fits are being laughed out of SW&D. SW&D nowadays is 80% drop-crotch internet-goth wear, 18% not-bad internet-hipster fits and 2% awesomeness.

I think you're wrong, too, F. Corbera; I learn a lot, from looking at well-dressed people (like yourself). I started out wanting to be one of those internet-hipsters, and then learnt about fit of sleeves, shoulder, excess material, trouser length, colour choices (although, this comes more natural to me--graphic/web design), etc, etc. Yes, I wear more MC stuff now, than when I started, but that is because I am quite an anal (leave the jokes, please) kind of guy, and suits and shit suit my pedantic-ness better, I think.

Today, I am wearing jeans and a T-shirt; do I give a fuck? No, I'm baller; it's fucking hot out! :p

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

9. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Sorry for barging in in the middle of the discussion, but if I remember clearly these two pics are of A.P.C. New Standards. Does anybody else have experience with tucking in the shirt with these? I already own a pair of Petit Standards, but after some lifting they are too tight and the rise is too low for tucking (Size 30 in the B&S :spam:) - so I thought I would try out the NS.

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Espadrilles!

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

fuumey is pretty dogmatic, amusingly so.

Anyway, I'm predisposed to view an interest in clothes to be an engaging quality. So, yes, look there and everywhere.

Nevertheless, there is no evidence that an open mind produces better fits than a closed mind. In fact, several of the best dressers in both forums are, as you put it, dogmatic...sometimes almost to an idiot savant level.

Most open-minded people that I know are terrible dressers.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

This is a very good post.

For a lot of guys in this thread, casual means loosening up the belt after a big meal.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012

14. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

It's amazing how few companies make narrow-width sneakers. I'm using the Sperry sneakers -- sort of the worst of both worlds, since they're still boat shoes in a nonboating context.

15. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Yup, there's tons of examples of it being done well, NOBD and IST66 are two who do it well here and there others. It's not rocket science but I see both FC and Hendrix's points of view. I'm in my 40s, and dress MC casual but I never wear suits and get much more inspiration from SW&D than MC.

Funnily enough the Epaulet thread has some of the best MC casual fits and it's in the SW&D forum. IMO Epaulet is the best example of stradling the two sides of the forum.