Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I'm not sure that i'm on board with the notion that tailored casuals falls outside of the realm of streetwear, or that it isn't informed or at least influenced by streetwear and fashion in general.

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Neither am I. I am specifically focusing on (1) dudes in the MC casual thread seeking remedy in (2) the StyFo SW&D subforum.

In the recent casual looks that I like to which I linked above, the SW&D influence is slight or completely absent.

Do I think that an open mind and inquisitive nature is a good thing? Yes.

Do I think that dudes struggling through looking good in the MC casual forum can fix their problems by looking at SW&D threads? Mostly, no.

There is more than sufficient range for an MC casual look to succeed without that, and it is my conjecture that staying close to home is likely to lead to a greater chance of success for the guy who otherwise wears coat and tie.

1. He can wear a casual suit casually without a tie:

[​IMG]

2. He can wear an odd jacket without a tie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. He can use classic accessories, and casual jackets, shirts and pants:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. And yes, he can wear jeans:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I mean, I could go on. All these images except the first were once posted on SF, BTW.

The current lack of inspiration does not mean a lack of possibility or the absence from reality. It is just a forum problem, specifically, a Styleforum 2012 problem.

And that is? Not a lot of good posters.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

3. DLester

DLester Senior member

Current lack of inspiration is due in part to summer doldrums.

4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Then, it's been summer for two or three years.

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Compelling.

Are we to assume that casual looks from those that do not wear coat and tie regularly should not be posted in this "MC Casual Thread", as they would add to the confusion?

FWIW the idea of tailored casual clothing is something that's not unrevered over in SW. Just look at Margiela. However, most would be approaching this from the opposite end of the formality scale - it would considered dressing up.

This is what I mean:
    [​IMG]

This is not far away from the excellent MaoMao pic, but (despite being from an old-hand MCer) comes from a totally different train of thought, IMO.

6. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

You can actually see this weird sort of blend of aspiration combined with uneasiness when SW&D wear tailored items.

Well, speaking for myself anyway, there's a certain illogical desire to soften the formality by wearing, say, sneakers -particularly weird since I hardly even wear sneakers with jeans, more of a derby or boot guy.

I think with some of the above inspiration we can rid ourselves of those insecurities.

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Just to continue this conversation with myself, here's some of that SW&D uneasiness translated into fashion - Margiela's anti-tailored tailoring...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Do you think this type of thing is confusing to this thread and should be ignored? Or can we overlook the fact that it comes from the other direction and use it as inspiration?

(Open ended, unsure myself)

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Parker always looks good to me, even in some of his recent SW&D mom sweaters.

So, we can agree the new thing to MC casual in that Parker fit is (1) a high floating break and (2) wearing sneakers sockless with a suit.

Is that really most likely path of success for an MC casual poster struggling to put together a good casual ensemble? Say, compared to the alternative of the same suit, longer pants, and some casual derbies or loafers in suede?

Poor K...this notion of cross-forum synergy is so often laid solely on his shoulders.

There are 100K+ members of SF.

Can you name even nine who meet this Parker MC/SW&D synergy test? Five?

Three?

It's really just Parker, right? He's the only one.

9. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Yeah I already agreed with you on that part. Obviously coming from the daily-coat and tie, you're going to opt for the bolded.

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ the difference is I am a slacker and mao is a baller. :) fwiw, I find the MC/SW constuct kinda meaningless/arbitrary. I understand it because I've been around here long enough. To me there's either good looks or bad looks. This MC Casual thread is kinda weird since, I guess, it's for guys who normally wear suits and ties to show how the roll when they're off duty. Most of the looks veer into Brooks Brothers catalog territory to me. i.e. preppy, stiff and kinda corny. And I'm a fan of BB! (even though it hasn't been cool since 1965). I don't know if this is what gdl means, but the SW forum at least has more topics and threads about non suit and tie clothes. (I'm not referring to the waywn thread which is a mish mash of good, bad and ugly just like any other waywn thread on the interweb). Just that there are some good threads and knowledgeable posters where a guy can pick up some tips on nice casual clothes on the other side of the fence. it's funny, my idea of MC casual is much more along these lines, which I guess could be classified more as "streetwear" since any vestiges of coat and tie are long gone.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Earlier in this discussion I described SW&D as "...a minority selection...a tip of intellectualized or designer-y clothes atop a larger iceberg...of a casual world wearing cheap, floppy, slobby clothes." So, you're engaging in the sort of intellectualizing of clothes that makes a few of the discussions in SW&D interesting in a pedantic way.

The burden to look new or novel is not as pressing in MC, however. It's like going to a great restaurant with classic dishes that always taste good. Don't fuck up the recipes, and you are fine. In fact, you are more than fine: you are great in this era in which so much is execrable.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Yes, I agree with this, which is why I think that the notion of what ails MC casual is the lack of exposure to SW&D is off the mark. That doesn't explain mediocrity or failure in MC anymore than lack of exposure to coat and tie explains all the mediocrity and failure in SW&D. If you put the two sub forums and main threads back together, you would have zero improvement in how well people dress.

I guess I have little confidence in the premise that people learn how to dress well by looking at people who dress well, which belies a fundamental mythology of this forum and others like it, and even some threads that I've started.

Oh, well.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Not necessarily...what I think for myself and what I recommend to others is often different.

I am specifically talking about this idea that pops up over and over again in the MC casual thread that the fix lies in looking at SW&D fits.

14. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

IMO, one could do worse than to look towards Cucinelli or Loro Piana look books for examples of 'MC Casual' styling.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Yes, that is correct. There really is no lack of information.

It's an execution issue specific to active posters right now on MC.