• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's important to have clothes to wear in those towns so you can blend in. Wouldn't want to get kidnapped, would we?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kgmessier
I think the differences in attitude alone between MC and SWD make this thread worthwhile.
No. In fact I don't see how anyone will end up dressing halfway decently (something that most SF members fail to do) if they're not exposed to diff styles and garments. This isn't a super precise fetish style, expand your horizons.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
laugh.gif
So grouchy. iammatt asked me to reply, "How about none?" - B

I'm planning to start "what are you wearing when sitting on a photocopier" thread, who would want to miss that?

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
No. In fact I don't see how anyone will end up dressing halfway decently (something that most SF members fail to do) if they're not exposed to diff styles and garments. This isn't a super precise fetish style, expand your horizons.

I guess the real question is whether or not the definition of "MC Casual Style" is significantly different from "Streetwear and Denim." I think we all can agree there's a continuum, but my thinking is that this thread will lean more toward the suits end, while the SWD WAYWT thread leans more toward the sneakers end. Not judging the value of one over the other, just saying there seems to be a crowd-based comfort level.

If there were a gray-area WAYWT/RN thread that captured, say, the middle third of that continuum, where would it live?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I guess the real question is whether or not the definition of "MC Casual Style" is significantly different from "Streetwear and Denim." I think we all can agree there's a continuum, but my thinking is that this thread will lean more toward the suits end, while the SWD WAYWT thread leans more toward the sneakers end. Not judging the value of one over the other, just saying there seems to be a crowd-based comfort level.

If there were a gray-area WAYWT/RN thread that captured, say, the middle third of that continuum, where would it live?

I don't see the need to compartimentalize, who cares? In theory this forum should have 1 single WAYWT thread, two is already enough, like 7 is stupid.

"WAYWT-ginger wearing navy blazer and grey pants" coming up next! Once again this is a fashion site not some super precise fetish emporium (well that's what I like to think).

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see the need to compartimentalize, who cares? In theory this forum should have 1 single WAYWT thread, two is already enough, like 7 is stupid.

"WAYWT-ginger wearing navy blazer and grey pants" coming up next! Once again this is a fashion site not some super precise fetish emporium (well that's what I like to think).

Whatever approach gets more people to post interesting and inspiring fits, I'm all for it. I'm of the opinion that having this this thread is a benefit, but I really have no idea which would be better, having two separate WAYW threads or combining them.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Whatever approach gets more people to post interesting and inspiring fits, I'm all for it. I'm of the opinion that having this this thread is a benefit, but I really have no idea which would be better, having two separate WAYW threads or combining them.

Are we going to start reading all these threads, IMHO they'll have a very short shelf life...

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think this thread has a place. The styles, brands, even general thought process used by the MC crowd when doing business casual or SW&D styles is quite different from the SW&D forums. Age, money, lifestyle, etc are also factors that make the type of looks pretty different.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I think this thread has a place. The styles, brands, even general thought process used by the MC crowd when doing business casual or SW&D styles is quite different from the SW&D forums. Age, money, lifestyle, etc are also factors that make the type of looks pretty different.

You are sidestepping the real questions though:

-why do we need to separate different styles? BTW SWD is a mish-mash of very diff styles.
-does it make the forum harder or easier to use?
-will the thread survive the first month or so?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Thanks for the include, ace. Here are some casual fits I posted in the past that I think may be better than the one you quoted.

Leaning-10.jpg

Leaning-3.jpg

Leaning-1.jpg

Mall.jpg

Front-30.jpg

Front-21.jpg

Front-10.jpg

RMNP.jpg

I envy your having seasons. Great casual looks.

Originally Posted by Mrshinyredplanet
A bit of my own casual style, open for scrutiny:

248793_2086406804968_1389118009_2394721_6492055_n.jpg

267997_10150229950331708_579911707_7065806_288127_n.jpg

Just reposting really.

Hard to tell anything from the photos, but I would like to see some shirt cuff showing from under the sweater. Also, the sweater opening looks like it's tilted towards the back. Again, it might be the photo, the posture or anything else. That said, I think you look good and quite appropriate for your age.

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
The dressed up Butler can also dress down. Age, and the taste and resources to indulge in the best in tailored clothing, are not barriers to looking put together in casual wear.

- B

I really need to step up my casual clothes after seeing this. That's exactly why this thread might be useful. I'd like to see new ideas or new implementations of older ideas for inspiration.

Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Heading off to San Francisco for lunch with a friend......

jeansandblazer.jpg

Jacket Cucinelli
Shirt Anna Motuozzo
Belt Alan Flusser
Jeans LVC 1947
Shoes PRL Suede Bucks
Linen pocketsquare Borrelli

I really like how the belt spices things up, makes the whole fit much more youthful and fun. I fully endorse this fit, it's something I would wear myself.

I agree with you, Fuuma. It's like a big bloated economy of a superpower at its last breath. A lot of bureaucracy and little efficiency. Except that here, we can just let the thread die if it doesn't catch any wind. No lives depend on it. Also, I continued to post my casual outfits in the regular WAYWRN until not so long ago, when there started a lot of complaining about trashing up the thread. The WAYWRN community didn't want casual fits in there and SW&D was too many clicks away. We really needed this thread.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This and the conservative business dress thread are reactions to the herd mentality we get into in WAYRN. The conservative business dress thread was great because of single aesthetic viewpoint that was being sought; without the guidance of insight it wandered.

This one is just because... I miss Warlock posting. No, because some of us don't live or work in places where jackets work most of the time, but we must beat down the hated casual business dress/I'm an IT guy'itis. Somehow.

And I mention the fear, uncertainty and doubt MC members have about venturing into SW&D...

tl;dnr: hopefully it will expand the horizons here.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It says something about clothing forum culture when the dominant styles can exist comfortably only when contained to a subgroup of a subgroup of online message board posters. To me that seems like the path to Fedora Lounge.

For what it's worth, the few times I've posted in SW&D, I've always felt welcome, even though my casual style isn't the SW&D casual style.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My thinking is that MC guys who don't do full suit and tie (eg. me) aren't really comfortable posting in the regular MC WAYW thread because it's too casual, and then when we do weekend looks, it's such a different aesthetic from the SW&D WAYW that there's no point posting there to get ripped apart by bratty baller children for something they don't relate to.

I hope this thread gets some lurkers to start posting in a lower pressure environment.

I suspect this thread will die within a couple of weeks if it isn't pinned (life support).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads