WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

yes...

not serious?

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

high five, you're my man.

apropos, glad you kept di matteo and you prevented the super gau.

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

What I am trying to say is that bad fit decisions in MC casual will not be fixed by brand replacement from SW&D.

I agree if MC posters could emulate the best dressers in SW&D, they would look as good in SW&D clothes as do the best SW&D dressers. I agree with this because it is a tautology.

If the typical standard of wearing clothes were better in SW&D than in MC, then one could argue that osmotic exposure could yield a net improvement in MC.

But it is not.

4. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

I really like this look. The shirt is classic southern prep, and the blazer looks really nice. What's the make?

Fit everywhere looks spot on, although the pants seem to have a touch too much fabric for my tastes.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

5. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

In that case we're talking about different things, because I come to the forums primarily for exposure and inspiration, along with a little bit of fit critique. I suppose this is a different goal than just coming to be taught how to dress better.

Thus for me it's not about which standard is better (hey, I don't have to choose anyway), just that I get alot more inspiration for casual clothing in SW&D than I do in this thread.

6. P. Bateman

P. Bateman Senior member

Very well put.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Does anyone from MC other than acecow go over to SW&D and proselytize like this? I'm just not sure from what awful fate the SW&D guys are trying to save us.

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Some people post on SF with zero intention to change how they dress.

Others lurk or post on SF with an intent to change something. We can call this exposure and inspiration. Seeing and learning, but also applying.

Does a man typically seek to make a change for the worse? Yes, that is often the compulsion in life, but in this tiny, virtual segment, is that true?

No. Those making changes here either are, or think that they, are making changes for the better.

So: you and I are saying about the same thing, I am simply pointing out that the cause of what looks bad on MC casual is not lack of knowledge of SW&D. The same cause makes things look bad in the SW&D corner of SF.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, MCers try to dispense MC wisdom in SWD when the conversation turns to suits, dress shoes, etc... Often, as is the case here, with little receptivity, but sometimes the advice does get through to those with a more open mind.

It's sad that either group tends to think of itself as separate or opposite to the other. It just doesn't make sense IMO, there's some inspiration and lessons to be learned on both sections. I don't quite understand why people get all riled up here every single time someone suggests taking a look at SW&D for additional inspiration. I mean, this is the casual style thread, right?

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

11. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This is styleforum in case you had not noticed. A place entirely devoted to 1st world problems.

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I prefer to bother myself with first world problems, it distracts me from real problems. I lost a mother of pearl button off of my sleeve on a RLPL shirt today. I didn't actually lose it, I found it in front of me at my desk. It's still sitting in my desk drawer. It bothered me for about 45 minutes. No joke.

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Okay. I subscribed to the thread for a bit more than a month, and it seemed like he was the only one. In any case, I'm not hatin' on SW&D. I enjoyed some stuff I saw there, but ultimately concluded that the "center" of SW&D is too far away from my center. For instance, that guy in Africa (ivwri?) who wears Yohji Yamamoto looks great most of the time. No applicability to my aesthetic. Also, I can't shake the impression that most posters there wear clothing appropriate for kids/young men. Not all, mind, just most. And I am neither of those things.

I did, however, come to agree that my jeans could benefit from being a bit slimmer. I'll keep that in mind next year when I make my next annual denim purchase.

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I suppose you're right about this.

Well, I would imagine at some point that it becomes about more than just making a change to look better, which is subjective. Some just want to make a change for their own personal interest and enjoyment.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

gdl, how does an MC habitué who fails in this thread pick what looks good on SW&D? He couldn't pick what looks good from the MC shelf...why would he do better looking at the SW&D shelf?

Shock and awe?

If his basic inclination is dressing casually in a more, well, classic way, but is struggling, what magic gives him a better eye for SW&D?

My feeling such a guy might be more successful if this thread had more casual fits from guys who dress well.