Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did I say that? It's possible that I may have felt that way on any given day, and it's most certainly true that I'd like to have more opportunities/days to wear "unformatted" outfits than just two days a week. But, overall, I enjoy wearing the suit and tie format and would not want to give that up entirely. Yes, I feel that this dress code is an obligation associated with my occupation, but that doesn't mean I don't like wearing these clothes, or the process of getting new clothes made. I do. I like both.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

rubinacci for weekdays. yohji on the weekend. ballin erryday

3. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Okay, I believe you. Only someone who likes it can do such a great job with it and care enough to seek some of the best versions of it.

I just don't think that most guys here can easily juggle two cats.

I also think that what causes simple casual ensembles to fail in this thread would also wreak havoc on choices selected by the same person from the SW&D forum.

The stammer would be the same even with more vocabulary.

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly. gdl seems to struggle with this for one reason or another hence he sounds like a broken record, imo.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

yes, you did... ...several times. fwiw, i liked the old gdl better. less aggressive, imo. just sayin...

6. gdl203

wtf

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i don't mind that you don't mind. you live your live i live mine, no worries.

8. gdl203

ok...

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

To be honest if someone needed to wear UGGs with crampons to be secure on a boat I'd encourage them to do so, actuel technical garments (clothing designed to precise spec to solve a specific problem) often look ridiculous but they serve a very narrow and important purpose.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

exactly

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Right. I think a big part of the appeal of boat shoes is the image of yachting but most serious boaters don't wear them. Oh the irony, wearing boat shoes is probably a bigger indicator that you don't sail! I still wear my Sperry's on the boat because I'm OG [​IMG].

12. DLester

DLester Senior member

A lot of the looks (not all) in this thread are either (1) way too formal to qualify as casual or (2) Corporate Beer Garden approved. I can't get any inspiration from that.

But the MC v. SWD argument is unwinnable. If you are content with the looks you see in this thread, stay here. If you want to explore other options, visit SWD. We won't be gentle but you might learn something useful. Note that you can visit SWD and get value and inspiration even if you are extremely elderly, say over 25 y/o.

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Ok, you're correct about the bolded, but that doesn't mean there's no scale of formality in SW&D.
    For example, this probably represents a well done, somewhat typical outfit of what we may wear when we go out. Most of us would not lounge around the house in this.

Contrast with this, which although probably not representative of what most would wear (I wouldn't, for example), there's a clear formality difference. Some may indeed not give a fuck and wear this to a club or whatever, it's still got a more casual feeling.

So I don't think it's that there's no formality, just that the scale and slopes are out of line.

Well, you can say that if you like, but how many threads about casual clothes are there on MC? There was that "SW for the Stodgy" or whatever thread by Foo which was pretty decent, as well as the "Denim for MC". Anything else?

Do you really think that there is little knowledge about "classic" casual clothes on SW&D?

Moreover, with the lack of exposure to younger brands, you're just simply missing out if you choose to post exclusively in MC.

As nice as a Barbour and LVC 1947 can look, it would be a shame not to also be exposed to 45rpm, Wings + Horns, Spurr etc etc etc.

14. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

tbh, i doubt this. i can only visit, when i'm in the valley and i'm in the need of a good laugh. it never fails, otherwise it's a pita. gladly, it's been while... ...the valley.

15. DLester

DLester Senior member

Fritzl I concede that you could learn nothing useful from SWD