WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. acecow

acecow Senior member

Glad you were lucky! It's always nice to have a little vacation. Also, I think the fact that you were using public transportation might have somewhat added to the enjoyment and the experience. In fact, whenever I come to a foreign city, I try to use the public transportation. Gives you a better idea of how people live.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

As someone who deals with criticism on a daily basis, I'd like to give you a tip: Keep your mouth shut (figuratively, of course). If you don't agree with something, just let it pass. Don't get defensive. It's not personal. All we know about you is contained in 73 posts.

3. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

I was planning on it for San Francisco, which Lefty claims is foreign.

I love these shots. Definitely a recommendation for Loro Piana.

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

wow, this is great.

5. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

You look in your mid thirties. We're not talking about contemporary, we're talking about making you look old. I know you think that the selvedge jeans and the brogues are "young" and "hip" , but not in that blue hue and fit, and no.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

6. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

7. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

You look like a really nice guy.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:laugh: you're a real dick, Eason

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Thanks, ThinkDerm.

What zoom? :) I see what you mean. I sometimes use this 50 mm (the plastic fantastic or nifty fifty) for portraits, but you have to get rather close to the subject. For the money it's a great thing though—skip one good tie and you have this lens.

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    Interesting. You are wrong on both counts about both my age (older) and what I might think (hilariously wrong). And you miss the point of what I've already said, indicating you don't bother reading what other people post properly. I guess that answers my question above about whether you are worth taking seriously. But thanks, seriously, it's been a pleasure. I'm just sorry we won't be having one of these pleasant chats again.

Thank-you for your advice but, with respect, you may be making the common mistake of assuming too much based on too little. I don't take anything here personally and I am not being defensive, I simply have no fear of engaging in debate. I'm not here to bolster my ego, I am genuinely interested in learning, and I've noticed that some posters here have a 'hit and run' mentality which they may think is amusing, isn't very helpful, and will not lead to people actually improving their style choices in any way. That only comes through a bit more interaction, and correcting misconceptions is part of that. I have already learned some useful things from some of the critiques here, not just about clothes, but also about what's worth posting in terms of pictures (I am certainly not going to use my webcam to take pictures for critique again), and also a little about which members' opinions I can have some respect for and look out for in future, and which are simply to be ignored (see response above).

Having said that, I think this particular discussion has run its course.

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

You realize that you're now defending yourself against my suggestion to be less defensive, right? Besides, criticism is not debate. There's no argument involved. If you're really not here to bolster your ego, then there should be no need to respond to nearly every piece of criticism with some kind of excu... ahem, correction of a misconception. Plus, you need to realize there is a "put up or shut up" mentality here, and rightfully so. As an example, people respect iammatt's opinion and deal with his acerbic comments because he's a fantastic dresser, and he has proven it with photos. This is the reason I rarely offer my opinion unless I feel something's been missed. I would suggest that you look at the history of posters like mktitsworth and Digmenow who started out being harshly criticized, but took the criticism and used it to improve their style rather than correcting what they may have perceived as misconceptions.

12. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

like the blend NOBD!

13. A.J.V

A.J.V Senior member

14. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

From my FB page, this is as casual as I get!

[​IMG]

15. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

start here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]