WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

A cloudy day in the South
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

:embar: This color sc is already on my "do not wear" list. I went with a blue shirt to head off any criticism. I'm not sure I can move forward by adding more brown to it. Argh.

Socks after Labor Day. Understood. And yes, I'm lovin' the footwear. Quite possibly the most satisfying $6 I've spent so far.

Thanks for all the props, gents and for D Y...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

It reminds me of Ali G.

[​IMG][/quote]

Big gold bling chains, which can also be another distinguishing feature of the British chav. They often turn green when it rains, because chavs tend to be cheap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldie_Lookin_Chain
    "Goldie Lookin Chain is a comedic rap music group based in Newport, South Wales. The group produces humorous, controversial and often explicit songs that satirise hip hop, today's consumer society, the ‘chav’ culture and life in Newport and south Wales in general."

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I believe your Do Not Wear list is mainly confined to the olive-y area of the spectrum. This brown, at least as an SC, works just fine for your coloring. He's right about the elbow patches. They should have more contrast. The suggestion for horn buttons is interesting, too. That could look pretty good and lend a bit more sophistication to the inherently casual corduroy. Overal, Dig, looking good.

5. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I tried to distance the color of the corduroy from my complexion by using the blue shirt as a buffer.
    IIRC, I got a :facepalm: from Spoo for the following pic of me in a cotton SC/white shirt combo a few months ago.

[​IMG]

I'll take the rest under consideration as far as adding a darker brown to it as I was digging the stealth aspect of the elbow patches. Thanks for the kudos!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Good thinking.

7. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably wouldn't bother posting it on this side since it's definitely not MC at all but to answer your questions about stacking:
    [​IMG]

These jeans are much, much too long for me. However, they would look bad at the "right" length. Why is that? Because my legs would not look "straight" (and instead you'd get some carrot leg effect or something). The stacking gives an illusion of a full leg from thigh to calf yet it gets all the benefits of appearing slim thanks to how tapered it is.

Note that it helps a lot to stack over boots compared dress shoes or low-top sneakers.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

This is my first WAYWRN post, and I'm not sure if these should go here or in SW&D, but I am sure someone will tell me either way! Apologies for the picture quality (Mac Photo Booth, because I don't actually have a camera on my phone and don't generall carry around a camera to take pictures of myself!). I tend to mix up vintage stuff, tailoring, and some high street brands based on how I like them rather than what I'm 'supposed to' do. This ends up like Deadwood meets 1960s college professor! But, you know, critique away...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

More info:

Jacket - Vintage mid-60s London Harris Tweed by John Collier (surprisingly well made for a popular brand of the time, I've replaced the original leather buttons which were past it).
    Vest - Vintage late 50s / early 60s wool, unknown maker
    Shirt - J-Crew (don't hold it against me, their small, slim-fit shirts actually fit me)
    Belt - H&M (I looked everywhere for a simple belt and these ones were actually made in Italy, no visible logos, and decent quality)
    Jeans - Edwin 505XX vintage selvedge denim
    Shoes - Loake 1880 'Burford' tan brogue boots (polished mainly with red polish and original laces replaced with mid-blue bootlaces).

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

FM, good to have you jump in. This is one of my first critiques so we're in similar positions. First thing I noticed was the bottom button of the waistcoat was fastened. There's a whole King Edward VII thing that tells us to leave the last button undone, so we do. Mostly. There's no pocket square visible so that's going to be a knock as well. The SC, while cool, looks too large in the shoulders. It's probably not enough to get noticed in the real world but would be noticeably better fitting with less overhang. I'm not sold on the blue laces but everything else looks casually good. Are there flaps on the lower pockets that are tucked in or are they unflapped?

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I thought it was a Mac, my Macbook Pro does it as well, the buttons aren't really on the ladies' side. It takes mirror image pictures flipped left to right.

11. FlyingMonkey

The flaps are tucked. I don't always have them like that. As for the bottom button of the waistcoat, I actually think about this, and on some of my waistcoats I button it, and some I don't. It depends on the particular waistcoat and how it looks in each case. I prefer this one buttoned, although I do know the general rule. Pocket squares... well, yes, but sometimes I do, sometimes I don't and today I didn't. I am less concerned about this if I'm dressing casually. I take your point though. Is the jacket too big? It certainly doesn't look significantly that way in real life. It's a 36S and when buttoned is almost a perfect fit, which is amazing for a vintage piece. I guess the shoulders are very slightly wider, and yes, I could get it tailored but I would rather keep the integrity of the piece. Finally, laces, almost none of my shoes have laces that are the same colour as the uppers, though the degree of difference varies.

12. FlyingMonkey

You're right, I only just noticed that!

13. acecow

acecow Senior member

Fantastic. And it does look good and make sense aesthetically. Good job on putting it into words. Please post your fits here if you can, I draw great inspiration from them.

14. D Yizz

D Yizz Senior member

Where to kop that awesome jacket?

15. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

New here?... well, I guess not...

That's a ToJ moto, the very first one ever made, in fact.

There's a long thread over in SW&D on ToJ. Great story and by all accounts great leathers. Buy one.