WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

It could be the camera angle

2. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Agree the OP is in denial and unable to take constructive criticism.

3. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

I like this...a lot of your fits are ruined because of your super tight pants which create some sort of moose knuckle at the crotch. I also was wearing trousers that were just to tight : (

This looks nice.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

4. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

But you know what? I have a different kind of trousers, wide and tight and I like all of them ;)

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

[​IMG]
    It's the time, of the see-ee-son for white jeans.

Brooks Brothers shirt, Il Bisonte belt, J crew jeans, trickers shoes

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Nice, as usual, shoreman. I think I need those shoes. : )

7. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Could be... I know mirror shots can be deceptive but this is chest level. I don't really see the same hip to chest to waist weirdness but it could be due to distortion.

[​IMG]

8. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Usually not a fan of white jeans, but this look really works!

9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I dunno about the plaids. Subjectively I think they're all very ugly [​IMG]

10. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Show face in avatar, blur face in photo. [​IMG]
    Cool look! Dig the white denim. Just kopped myself.

11. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

I think your issue is, that from all the posters on styleforum you provide the most "honest" pictures. In all your pictures you try your best to give us the perfect OCD unmerciful robot pose, which results in people giving you the most outlandish criticism about infinitesimal details of your appearance. I bet if you'd pose more natural or if you took it to a whole other level of impossible to judge the fit 'holdfast' style by putting all the hands you have in your pocket, less people would be nitpicking on your outfits. which is essentially what all the criticism about your sport coats is, criticism on the highest level. there's nothing wrong with your built or your clothing.

In addition I think you tend to over adjust your outfits before you take a picture which creates an unreal and distorted look. in the above picture you just tucked your shirt in your pants, paired with this pattern it looks like your upper body is squeezing out of your trousers and as if your clothes were under a lot of tension. you never look like this in real life, the minute you walk five steps your shirt will slide back out a little resulting in a more natural appearance.

for the lack of a better example I mean this, what Chromeo does to his shirt @ 1:20

don't go for the full muffin top, but if you adjust your shirt like this, it would definitely look more relaxed.

in my opinion.

12. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

^Ya know I didn't even think of that. I just sort of went with what I read was the best pose for ascertaining "fit." Criticism is fine, I just may not have an answer for it haha. With my limited budget and, admittedly, naive taste and knowledge, I am just glad I don't just get dismissed as awful outright. I will try to take a more natural pose and such. I admit, I am not in anyway knowledgeable about photography or aethestics and camera angles. the only art I know is music. Will think of this and try as best I can to integrate when I snap pictures in the future.

13. E TF

E TF Senior member

+1

... having said that i am now going to offer a nitpick - in Citan's last two pics the pockets on his trousers are bowing out a bit, like they're under tension. It's very clear in the pic above^^. It's a minor thing but I suspect it's adding to the "hippiness" others have mentioned: making you look wider across the hips than you really are. I'm not sure but I suspect it's a symptom of the trousers being a bit too tight across the front, pulling the pockets outwards.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think C also takes the advice he is given seriously, which is refreshing but can be counterproductive. There's just no way to reconcile everyone's tastes. My shaped coats are never going to appeal to the skintight-but-shapeless camp, just as they're not going to appeal to the loose 'n' conservative crowd. I'm OK with that. I still appreciate feedback from anyone willing to share, but I make sure to remember that hey, tastes differ.

At a certain point you just have to decide what you like and work to make it look as good as you can.

15. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

I agree 100%, it is what makes clothing fascinating to me. It is an individual thing (taste, colors, textures, overall "fit") but also collective (in that there are standards of fit, texture, appropriateness etc.). I like plaid. I like bright colors. Others don't etc. I think the issue is partly camera angle, partly pose, but mostly the fact I have big thighs and seat for my upper body. Hey, at least my girlfriend likes a "guy with a butt."