WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

we call it strip poker...

2. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

So, plebes with probably little to non knowledge on style complimented your awful pants... Score! [​IMG]

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

I liked them, my gf liked them, everyone around me liked them. Problem?
    And anyway, I live among people. I'm not elitist. I dress better than they, but it doesn't mean I don't care about their opinions. Last time I checked clothing was a societal thing.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  4. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

In another thread.

5. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Everyone here seems so enlightened.

[​IMG]

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Late to the party here. I tend to wear loud/patterned/FU/GTH/whatever you want to call them pants quite a bit. I like these, though I do hope they are some sort of madras or other interesting material.

I disagree with Hendrix on the blazer. I think it's fine, though patch pockets would make it better. I will say, however, that the belt and shoes need to go. The belt in general is far too wide and really cuts you in half. The pants already create a jarring effect, so the thick belt just looks out of place; it would be better suited for jeans. Personally I wear a thin (1-1.5") belt with my louder pants. Cordovan or gator seems to best, with an engine turned or O/D ring buckle. You can attempt a ribbon belt if you must. The shoes look far too formal for the open collar and rumpled appearance of the jacket. I'd go with a loafer, with the casual option being some pebble-grained drivers and the more formal option being tassels. However, I wouldn't go with laceups and, to be conservative, would stick with pennies.

7. acecow

acecow Senior member

Quite a valid point. Loafers were my first choice, but I prefer lace-ups for nights when I know I'll be dancing a lot. I'll be experimenting with these pants more as summer progresses. Probably in more casual ways. By the way, the jacket is indeed quite informal, being hemp/cotton and unstructured/unlined.
    I disagree on the belt though. To me, narrower leather belts scream "formal", and wider belts are more acceptable for outfits like this.

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I can see this argument. I suppose for my body type/frame thinner belts are just always my go-to. Wide belts make me look too disjointed. For your casual looks there's always the option to go sans belt and wear a more billowy shirt. Though that might look better in my head than it would in real life.

9. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Ok i feel embarassed doing this but I really would like your guys help. What I can't change are my basic "bone" proportions. I have wide hip bones and thicker thighs. I don't blame on letting my muscles atrophy so I took some of your guys advice to mind when I went shopping today. I am somewhat limited in michigan. I tried club monaco classic fit chinos (the slim fits are ball busting) and jcrew classic and urban slim. I also took a picture of the chinos I already have. Any advice is welcome. I want to learn!

Club Monaco slim fit shirt (size m) and jcrew urban slim chinos (33x32,haven't hemmed yet)

Same shirt, club monaco classic fit pink lightweight chinos. 33x32

Jcrew classic fit oxford chinos (33x32) and a small regular fit jcrew ocbd (felt small in the chest)

Jcrew urban slim bowery chinos (33x32) they fit a bit snug in the seat and the low rise felt odd to me. Jcrew madras shirt size S (felt ok in chest but if it shrunk at all..medium was billowy in waist and drapey in chest)

Thoughts? I am not limited to these brands, just all the time I had to check today. I am also considering epaulet rivet chinos but I am worried they will be too tight in the seat even if I size up. I bought a pair of rudy trousers and they were still tight in the seat, had to let them out.

10. acecow

acecow Senior member

Shirts 1&2 are good. Pants 1, 2 & 3 are good.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

try to take a normal picture - the way you take your pictures really exaggerates your proportions. find a spot to place your camera at chest level and go from there.

12. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

^ Good call, I agree it distorts things a bit. I am somewhat limited, see what I can do

13. acecow

acecow Senior member

And yes, better pictures would help.

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Sorry, but theres only one thing I think about when seeing your pics:

[​IMG]

15. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member