Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

iGent pic for Vox. New sweater.

[​IMG]

2. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

If I'm not walking around on construction sites telling chinese semiskilled slave welders how not to do and how absolutely not to do their work (portrait shots for the village people audition) - I am wearing linen + chino + sockless mocs or boatshoes all the time, always. 36° celsius +100% humidity [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

blue/white linen, eggshell chinos, brown boatshoes

+ always flippin passport and a wad of chinese monopoly paper money to not get thrown into jail for 6 hours again for not carrying ID and visa 3 blocks away from my hotel suite [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2012

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

love the mickey mouse towel.

apropos, the us shoes nearly got me banned, wtf. :D

4. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Elevated Steve Jobs?

But for real, have always felt that a decent-fitting black turtleneck has been under appreciated.

5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

This is very irrational I know, but that cardigan is so horrible (in every way - colour, texture, shape) it makes me angry... I love the trousers and shoes, though.

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

FM, does it make you fightin' mad?

8. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

: ) Good eye for Mickey, fritzl. I read the Alden thread...

Yes, elevated! Not those ugly thin faux turtlenecks the iMessiah used to wear. :)

I agree, a black turtle neck is a classic. Think Paris in the 60's (or whatever decade). This S.N.S. design is from 1975.

9. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I recently received a shell cordovan belt from Rancourt in color #8 that works very well with just about any casual outfit I put together. If you don't want to pay for a grey suede belt, a cordovan belt may be out of your price range. On the other hand, it's probably much more versatile than a grey suede belt and color #8 would still work with those chukkas probably.

Not to beat a dead horse by bringing this up again since it seems to have quieted down for a few pages, but regarding the digi-camo pants from Epaulet and the wearing of military-inspired patterns or designs (or authentic military clothing) by those who didn't serve or those who are not currently on active duty, this former Marine will throw his 2¢ in:

I mentioned in a post a few pages back how sharp I think NYRanger's digi-camo chinos look. I served six years on active duty in the Marines and they don't offend me in the slightest. I get more offended when I see Army personnel (or National Guard) out and about in their utility uniforms at airports or traveling basically anywhere outside of a base. That was always a punishable offense in the Marine Corps and I guess that is just something that stuck with me. I understand that different services have different regulations, it just still irks me. I also understand that my feeling is irrational.

If a civilian wants to wear military fatigues, or something with a camouflage print on it, and they aren't doing so in order to pass off that they are/were in the service and fishing for some sort of special treatment or pretending that they were Johnny Bad Ass, more power to them.

Regarding the Marine Corps sensitivity to their MARPAT design - the powers that be went as far as embedding many miniature EGAs into it and it was generally impossible to find the authentic garments at the local surplus stores near Camp Lejeune and Camp Pendleton because there were so few companies that originally had the license to produce it. This was a real pain in the butt when the uniforms where first introduced and folks like myself were recalled to active duty from the IRR a few years back. All I had were the old style utilities and had to stock up on the digi ones rather quickly. Unfortunately I was only able to buy one pair at the uniform store on Lejeune at the time. You can imagine how quickly those became rather ripe, even with frequent washing. :crazy:

FWIW, while I was moving around some boxes a few months ago I opened one that had all my old digi style utilities and saw that they were made by American Apparel in Los Angeles. That must be worth some SF cred (maybe over in the SW&D forum though).

Last edited: May 15, 2012

10. furo

furo Senior member

Why would an Army guy who is abiding by Army regulations "offend" you?

11. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

It didn't offend me that they were following regulations, it offended me that the Army regulations aren't the same as Marine Corps regulations. Like I said, I admit my reaction isn't rational.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

no, it wasn't there. it's removed, anyway. could have asked you via pm. if you can forget about it, i can. friends again.

13. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

is that the north sea submariner?

14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

[​IMG]