1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

Lolz, spending money on a watch like that is just great! Having 2 kids they steal my $$ [​IMG]

2. Teger

Teger Senior member

stitches you know i love you, but real talk:

i think that you should stay away from the recent purchases thread, because you've been sucked into buying clothes and posting them and liking the validation you get.

i also think (and sorry this is harsh), that if you want to dress sleek you should focus on slimming down. i know you wanted to earlier, but what happened? buying lots of clothes at a weight you don't want to stay at is great motivation to stay there.

the looks above aren't... terrible... but they're not that great. if your pants are too long, why wear them? or at least roll them up a little to get rid of the schlumpiness. i know that they're probably mabitex or whatever flavor of the month italian brand is cheap on STP or STF right now, but they look cheap. i also don't like the last of the shoes, they look blobby and strange. the canvas belt is bad and tacky; if you want to wear a surcingle belt get one in leather or an interest silk.

whatever you do, do not buy bespoke.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ that was an unexpected conclusion... was that to tie with the "change your body not your clothes" point?

4. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I wasn't urging you to go bespoke, just letting you know what the local options were. I've only used Field's for "special" alterations but have been very happy with them.
    BTW, Teger makes some good points, but I think you exaggerate your weight problem. You are not that heavy. Lay off the schmaltz (that's Yiddish, look it up :teach:), a little exercise, and you will get great results.

5. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

Look, I'll explain this once. People in MC tend, to focus more on the obsessive perfection of style. IE: Fit, which materials to use, colour schemes, etc. SW&D just like looking as trashy as possible. I may get thumbs-down for this, but tell me, if this isn't true. Don't get me wrong, every once in a while, a SW&Der can pull off a genuinely, good, coherent look--even if it's not my style--but, most of the time, they get the basics wrong; that is what MCers focus on more than anything--the details. I don't give a shit, if you wanna look like a dominatrix--it's not my style, but it may be yours--just pull it off well; show that you have thought about all aspects of the fit and not just, if it falls into the trashy-is-cool look, that most SW&Ders go for.

After all, this forum is about learning as much, about perfecting style as possible; not just how to look cool. This is where MC and SW&D differ. More thought is always more interesting than less thought.

6. JapanAlex01

Erm, this is racist, right? :(

7. Teger

Teger Senior member

this is nonsense. if mc was about fit and pattern matching than WAYWT threads which would be more enjoyable to read. MC right now is about the acquisition of expensive clothes and showing them off to people. beyond the obvious aesthetic differences between the two forums, people in SW&D care much less about the individual pieces and much more about the whole outfit. if stitches posted those looks there he would be rightly called out for his terrible fitting pants, cheap accessories and weird pattern clashing.

8. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

well I tried to post this over a week ago and it is still awaiting moderator approval so I figure I will go ahead and post it again...

sorry for the very blurry nature of the photo I hope you can see the important parts (like me douchily posing on a bike that is not mine)

I realize this is not in trend with the majority of style forum posts but seeing as I am just going to be a senior in high school it is inappropriate for me to wear suits and ties very often, although I do tend to dress more formally than I am in this particular picture. When I was getting dressed that day I took into account what my situation was going to be that day before getting dressed. My location was going to be Berkeley California on a casual thrifing/record store run with some of my friends so it would have been inappropriate for me to show up in dub monks and a db suit(although I did score a killer brooks brothers db that day thrifting). Instead I opted for a more casual if slightly indiana jones esque outfit. one of my goals in joining style forum was to document my growth of personal style as I transition from teenager to adult. This first attempt at documentation of what I wear might not be palatable to some of the style forum members and they may call for my head in response to my crimes against traditionalism but remember I am still in high school and I was going to thrift not to smoke cigars while working in an Italian bespoke shop or make a presentation to a board of directors. So keep that in mind when you are writing your inevitable(and welcome I am here to learn after all) criticism. Anyway I will stop my rambling and break the fit down...

leather(pleather) jacket- tri valley hospice: $3.50 or about on a memorial day thrift about 2 years ago

nordstroms classic fit stripe shirt(I tailored the body and chopped the sleeves myself) bought on the same trip as the jacket for about 75 cents

pants are j crew cargos I took the side pockets off because they started ripping on their own: they were a gift so they cost me nothing

shoes are #menswear blogger approved tretorn nylited bought from shoebacca.com for $20(they are no longer this cheap)

sunglasses are lookmatic and owe a style debt to the ray ban clubmasters $32 after 50% off coupon that I was notified of from brokeandbespoke's tumblr

bag is by Levis and I don't know how much it was or where it was from I have had it for a long time
    [​IMG]

9. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

snapped this really quick on the way out the door for dinner and drinks. Tan suede drivers on the feet. Have a nice night everyone. sorry for crappy quality.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. JapanAlex01

This is wrong; countless times I have heard SW&Ders boast, about the $1000 baller sneakers they just bought. :uhoh:

Your point about acquisition of expensive clothes, for show may be grounded in truth, but any serious, mature adult would brush off such childishness.

11. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Is it?

12. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Pleather seems to be trending on SF this week. :facepalm:

1 person likes this.
  13. JapanAlex01

Well, 'plantation hat' has a direct correlation to plantation farmer, which has a direct correlation to racist connotations. The rag used as a PS was, most probably, not marketed as racism, but I think, the hat comment is an undodgeable comment.

14. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

You are such a whiny little crybaby -- always crying about who has wronged you or made negative comments about your outfits on a freaking message board. It's the interwebz, it comes with the territory -- man up for crying out loud.

And your right -- the comment was not likely meant to be "racist". So, I don't really understand you connecting the dots (which is funny considering the flow chart you showcased in order to make a connection).

15. JapanAlex01

You know, you don't know what I'm doing on the other side of the screen. I laugh all the way to the bank; nothing said here bothers me except stupid shit. Complaining about stupid shit, for the sake of arguing a point, and, then, being called out as a crybaby makes you circumvent your own intelligence, which is a shame for you but not me. I don't get hurt by people's opinions, especially when I don't agree with them. Ignoring stupid non-logic doesn't breed intelligent conversation; it merely ends it.

16. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

Rambo is not racist. He was just making fun of a rather odd outfit. Perhaps he could have been a little more PC in his description, but there's a reason it struck a nerve.

17. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Plantation hat simply describes the type of hat in the photo. Do a google image search and check out the links.

It's not racist in any way to call a hat by it's name.

[​IMG]

18. philip42

philip42 Member

Today and earlier this week
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    which really don't work with this outfit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Girlfriend's Bday. The shoulders fit much better than the picture would indicate, but I lengthened the sleeves a little too much. Lost the pocket square and finished the outfit off with a dark brown calf belt and dark brown suede penny loafers
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. JapanAlex01

Yes, he should have thought about what he said; not because I care so much about people's feelings, or am opposed to free speech, but because smart people don't miss such a mistake.

And, FTR, it's a straw hat.

[​IMG]

/end of argument

1 person likes this.
  20. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Seems like you care quit a bit -- I've seen you in threads, days later, going after people who made comments about your fits.... crying about said comment(s). You can call me stupid all you want.

Your post was typical and fitting. There is nothing wrong with saying plantation hat, because that's what it is (or was thought to be)....it's people like you with your connect the dots flow charts that turn this stuff racial.

1 person likes this.