1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Layered Player

Layered Player Well-Known Member

The weirdest law firm on God's green Earth.

2. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

yeah - I don't haunt this threak on a frequent basis - sorry.

my advise is quit the job as soon as possible.

find someplace to work where people know how to behave in public.

life is to short to spend it working with teh cra cra crowd.

:nest:

about the ties - doesn't J. Crew offer ties that are not wide but not skinny? I'm not sure but it seems like they did a season or so ago.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

He is an intern. Probably shouldn't be wearing a jacket regardless. I hate to be a dick but if an intern walked into my office wearing a jacket and a two tone Rolex we would have a little talk...

4. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

dressing according to some inane company policy is one of the lesser degrading things one has to endure during an internship. I'd suggest getting some slimmer - not skinny - ties, too. (3.15inch)

oh and you think TKE has it bad? let digmenow tell you about that.

...about his impeccable taste in fashunz and if he knows the secret igent handshake, too?

5. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Well-Known Member

I work at a corporate lawfirm. Many of the attorneys there have been rated as "NJ Super lawyers" by the magazine "NJ super lawyer". Its a very well respected firm so I'm not quitting anytime soon. I'm an intern and hoping to continue there as an intern/summer associate during my time in law school. When I get hired as an associate I can wear a jacket/suit if I'd like to.
    I don't understand? Why would you "have a talk" with an intern that walks in wearing a jacket and a two tone Rolex? You should be thrilled. You should want your interns to look as professional (and successful) as possible. It gives a better feel to the office, especially if potential clients are walking through.

6. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Really? hmmmm.....

That wouldn't bother me in the least.

I guess it's a matter of office environment though. Things are pretty dressed up where I work (except Fridays). Ties are pretty much required. And that of course means jackets when arriving and leaving. Interns get a good bit of slack in this regard - but we are especially happy to have 'Trust Fund' interns. As they can afford to dress professionally and thus is more 'appropriate' to the general office vibe.

I suspect though that this is not the case for TKE - if the firm is jackets prohibited I presume they'd rather not see ties either. If this is the case then jacket and Rolex with cufflinks is definitely a no no. Dressing for work is all about fitting in for interns and entry level. Standing out is for later.

7. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

For one, a two tone Sub is not "professional," it is flashy at best and gaudy at worst.

1 person likes this.
  8. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

you don't 'work' at a law firm, you 'intern' at a law firm. you have an internship. stop being such a pompous twit.

and he'd have a talk with an intern wearing a rolex because it's ostentatious and inappropriate. it's distracting, and a two-tone gold rolex isn't professional: it's loud.

9. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Citan1145

Citan1145 Well-Known Member

^ I am really glad I am in clinical psychology. I wear suits, jackets, ties, anything I want. Most of my colleagues wear polos or a shirt and tie. I dress how I want to dress for fun and pleasure. That being said, I respect lawyers and understand other professions are more stringent in terms of dress code. But us psychologists can literally wear anything.

11. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

Now that I look at pics of TKEs watch and links I would agree they are o.t.t..

But a Rolex in general is as commonly worn in business environments as loafers with a suit. Both are totally improper but so widely done that it hardly matters anymore. Rather like brown shoes after 6pm, no?

12. TauKappaEpsilon

What is the difference between "working" and "interning"? I'm getting paid and working 40 hour weeks. I have the exact same job description as the office clerks, I just happen to be half of their age, and not staying in that position for the next 20+ years. Also, you're talking like you're "above" me since I'm the "intern" and "twit", yet, you display much more immaturity then most on this forum. Your use of ad hominem "insults" just goes to show who/what you really are.

I, unlike others on this forum, happily accept criticism from the old posters. I look at this forum as a place to learn and listen to real criticism from older, successful "role model" type people. However you lack the maturity, professionalism, and general respect that I'd expect to see on MC. So please, if you have something to say, talk to me like the adult you are.

Fair.

13. ethanm

ethanm Well-Known Member

This is your problem. Fix it. You are not a lawyer, you do not have a degree, and I'd be willing to bet you did not get the internship based solely on your own merits. Part of being an adult, which you seem to think you are, is knowing your place.

14. ballmouse

ballmouse Well-Known Member

I would say that as an entry level grunt, you don't want to stand out by the way you dress. If you are too dressed up or down from your colleagues, you are standing out in a bad way. It makes you look like you're not a team player and not willing to sacrifice personal attention to be a cohesive team unit.

That doesn't mean you can't wear quality clothing, but you shouldn't wear flashy clothing and look like an attention whore. Grunts shouldn't get attention based on for their clothes (I guess that's ok if everyone hates you already, your old man is a partner at the firm, or you're superman and don't work with anyone). Leave the flashy, ostentatious stuff to the managers and partners.

15. TauKappaEpsilon

Thanks for the suggestion. I agree. I think the cufflinks might be a little too much. I think unless I'm wearing a suit to a more formal event I'm going to stick to my silver Tiffany's monogrammed cufflinks.

16. Texastyle

Texastyle Well-Known Member

I'm guessing somewhere between 100-150k.

17. TauKappaEpsilon

LOL. Thats a good call.

18. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

you got all that from the width of his tie?

I think we should all just chill and stop giving TKE a hard time.

Let's move on to our next victim: hobo mittens, really?

19. TauKappaEpsilon

Well, try to elaborate. I think I know my place. I'm sure if you were a partner at the firm I work for you'd have absolutely no problems with me. I understand my place and I understand respect. I've had many good 'jobs' or 'internships' that I've received based strictly on my merits. Its next to impossible to judge someones merits by what they post on a clothing forum. I think if you were to meet me in person, you'd have a completely different view of me.

2 people like this.
  20. hendrix

hendrix Well-Known Member

my sister knitted them for me, they are great.

details
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.