• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Again, I wasn't making a case against color in general. I can't get on board with that fuchsia shirt but the other stuff is good example of making good yet seasonal color choices. There's many ways to ring in the summer - use more white, use lighter shades of colors, evoke nautical themes/colorways, etc... It is harder to do than fall/winter and we forgive ourselves too easily for these faux-pas.

I don't think anyone claimed you did... but rather that you were against bright colors. Is that a fair assessment on your stance?

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Again, I wasn't making a case against color in general. I can't get on board with that fuchsia shirt but the other stuff is good example of making good yet seasonal color choices. There's many ways to ring in the summer - use more white, use lighter shades of colors, evoke nautical themes/colorways, etc... It is harder to do than fall/winter and we forgive ourselves too easily for these faux-pas.

Sure, I think this is pretty much agreeable to most.

Talking of colour though, there's another issue about using bright colours. I hesitate to mention it, because this topic can be touchy to some, but I really do believe that bright colours look best against those of darker complexions. Black guys (and girls!) can get away with much more vivid colours than white ones, simply because of striking contrast against their skin. My own complexion, as you can see, is somewhere in between, so I can wear some bright colours but steer away from others. For instance, I don't wear acidic greens, bright oranges and pale bright pinks in anything more than small accents (ties/squares/etc), because those precise shades are dreadful against my skin. A friend of mine with darker skin can wear those colours fine though.

(I've also trended away from quite a few pastel shades - though I still wear pink business shirts and have one or two lilac ones - for the same reason. They're a class of colour that I think works great on white guys though).

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Seriously though, it's cultural relevancy.  Ivwri, who you think looks homeless due to his baggy Yohji clothing, lives in Nigeria where loose flowy clothes are pretty much the norm. 

just to pull a cliché: dealers can wear whatever they want. right?

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sure, I think this is pretty much agreeable to most.

Talking of colour though, there's another issue about using bright colours. I hesitate to mention it, because this topic can be touchy to some, but I really do believe that bright colours look best against those of darker complexions. Black guys (and girls!) can get away with much more vivid colours than white ones, simply because of striking contrast against their skin. My own complexion, as you can see, is somewhere in between, so I can wear some bright colours but steer away from others. For instance, I don't wear acidic greens, bright oranges and pale bright pinks in anything more than small accents (ties/squares/etc), because those precise shades are dreadful against my skin. A friend of mine with darker skin can wear those colours fine though.

I agree. that's why hotter climate countries with people of darker complexion gravitate towards these colors... I like pastels, but they tend to look really bad against my complexion.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ See, now that pink right there is a nice summery colour.
tongue.gif

Funnily enough, I just edited this bit about pastels into that earlier post while you were replying to it:

(I've also trended away from quite a few pastel shades - though I still wear pink business shirts and have one or two lilac ones - for the same reason. They're a class of colour that I think works great on white guys though).

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The "holdfast smile"

as recognizable as this

and this

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ See, now that pink right there is a nice summery colour.
tongue.gif

Funnily enough, I just edited this bit about pastels into that earlier post while you were replying to it:
And this is the dillema/issue I have with menswear. Alot of times its certain rules/aesthetics of fit, color, etc tend to be built around western eyes and it secludes many other cultures. I'm Nigerian... and culturally we are a colorful bunch (Iwvri might be an exepction to that aesthetic, but he carries other aesthetics from our culture as well). When I use color, it isn't necesarilly a dandy thing, its because its somewhat conditioned

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have all just been made aware of the ethnocentricity of #menswear.
nest.gif

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait... I thought everyone on SF was Asian ? :hide:

inlandisland

Reaction score
To me, this is a matter of opinion/taste that doesn't really warrant much argument because it is SO context sensitive. Throwing a really bright garish tie on because it's spring might fail, but brightly coloured pants with an otherwise neutral outfit are not that strange. Bright pants might be a bit of a trend right now, based on a lot of the spring collections I've been seeing, but at the same time not a year goes by that BB doesn't have them (not to mention bright colours with embroidered motifs). It can be a trainwreck, it may get you funny looks and comments, but ultimately it's just a matter of one's taste/style. Personally I like to see brighter colours and lighter fabrics come out in the spring just as much as I like to seen sedated colours and fuzzy, heavy, warm fabrics come out in the fall. I imagine that for some, seasonal dressing begins and ends with the weight/weave of the fabrics they wear. It's all good though.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still like my tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads