Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Hey, I resemble that remark! (Well, I did yesterday...)

2. KingJulien

KingJulien Senior member

Quote:
    [​IMG]
    So this looks like a girl to you? [​IMG]

Seriously though, it's cultural relevancy. Ivwri, who you think looks homeless due to his baggy Yohji clothing, lives in Nigeria where loose flowy clothes are pretty much the norm.

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

This looks like young PTWilliams to me.

I don't remember the homeless comment I made, so I'll have to trust you on this and just in case reverse my judgment as false.

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

You're opinion is fine, but its shithead comments like your's that don't "help" anyone, or provide any useful role in prompting discussion here, other than name calling (see "shithead" comment). Its this passive aggressive bullshit that irks me really, you get people who do care that think, "Oh shit, is he talking about me?" and chase them. Speak your mind man. And you're right, I walk to and from work through a blue collar Conservative Brooklyn neighborhood, so pretty boys with passive aggressive issues on the computer are the least of my worries. I just think it would be nice if people could just (and no, not just you, mind you) say what they really think. This is the kind of shit that gets you a busted nose and bloody lip irl...

i respect that you think the pants suck. I like em. I also think in my context (working with 13-15 year old street kids) it helps.

5. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

And you're the one asking me to chillax? :facepalm:

You think I don't say what I think already? In one word: wtf?

6. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

it feels good. I promise.

GDL does have a point. Spring typically makes for some seriously poor choices in the tie dept.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012

7. NPHAF

NPHAF Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thank's, the pic is a couple of weeks old from when we had our first spring sun and temperatures about 58°F, it's been sockweather the last couple of days though.

8. NewYorkIslander

You're bolding it as if it were a threat, it was not by any means. It was a statement. if someone made a comment like that irl, about anything, clothing, women, the fucking Yankees. I see it all the time.

I also said that I respected your opinion. I do. From what you've posted in the past you've proven that you should be taken seriously. So when you make general statements like that, people get turned off man. You mentioned the PC catalogue you got in the mail so you wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings, yet you clearly wanted people in the thread who dress colorfully to know you don't approve.

And please don't mistake my absence from regular conversation here as apathy. I just don't have the time I used to have for SF, between work, working out, my wife and kids my SF time is my only "me" time, and its about 15 minutes each night, and 30 minutes each morning. Teger also mentioned i don't care for feedback, I do, and I do read it, just don't always reply cause I don't have the time.

9. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Assuming the PC catalog on the website is the one you were talking about, it actually seemed kinda restrained compared to some of the stuff I've seen before. The mainline Paul Stuart catalog on the other hand was crazy. The contrast collar, fluorescent polos were a bit much.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    NYR, for how far you push the envelope, I think people bite their tongues with you more frequently than not. This is probably because you're a nice, humble kind of guy. People bite their tongues with my fits a lot too, because I am hilarious, violent, freakishly handsome, and without peer intellectually - a man among boys, so to speak.

11. gdl203

NYR - I made a general statement that I think is valid, and at least worthy of a conversation. I do strongly feel that there is less care taken by men in their outfit when it's summer and that they use it as an excuse - I wish that wasn't the case. I see a similar thing happening with "going out" clothes - how many people look like sh!t when they dress to go for a drink. I can't be the only one noticing this?

I hope people's feelings don't get hurt if I think their tie or pants are ugly - I cannot imagine that would be the case. I'm just a dude on the internet. There are many things that you wear that I like/liked - you had some good Ercole outfits runs in WAYWRN over the years. But you tend to have fairly volatile tastes and some of your casual stuff looks good while others look way out there IMO. Anyhow, my general point still stands - and your pants today where merely one exhibit, not the topic itself.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

There's a good discussion to be had here about colour use in sunny weather, but I'm not sure it's going to happen in the thread. Still...

I would suggest that the bright light of summer has a genuine effect in making strong vivid colours more pleasing to look at on those days than they do on darker days. White appears to shine or glow, and vivid shades of blue, green, and orange tend to do the same. Red less so, but pink does it. So I don't think using these bright shades in sunny weather is intrinsically less aesthetically pleasing. In fact, I find dark colours in summer to be less pleasing to the eye: charcoal greys and dark browns especially, look great in winter but drab and tatty in sunny weather. Navy can bridge both low and bright light levels and still look good, so is the best "conservative" colour choice for summer IMO. Pearl & mid-greys also work nicely.

Leaving the pure colours to one side, and thinking about incorporating them in outfits, they're clearly much harder to incorporate well into business outfits (best reserved for small accents in those), but can be expressed more strongly in casual ones. Still difficult to do, but not impossible I think.

I don't actually like NYR's fit much, but that's more because the shirt, belt and shoes don't work for me with those bright trousers, and the folded-up cuffs look incomplete to me compared to properly hemmed ones. Also, I don't think I'd want to wear them in a work context. But I can imagine them (properly hemmed), with a white or sky blue linen short sleeve shirt, maybe with a woven or fabric belt, with a pair of tan or navy loafers (or even tan specs), sitting outside somewhere pleasant for a lunch and having a lazy afternoon in the sun.

I looked through my imgur account for some sample pics to post to demonstrate casual use of bright colours in a way I personally thought worked. Sadly, I'd already deleted most to stay under imgur's free limit, but found two I posted after a couple of short holidays I took last year, which should work as examples. The vivid blue and magenta are certainly highly eye-catching colours, but I think they can be incorporated into decent summer fits. Spoiler-coded as they're not really WAYWRN!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is exactly what I was trying to convey with GDL, which I believe he misunderstood.

14. gdl203

Again, I wasn't making a case against color in general. I can't get on board with that fuchsia shirt but the other stuff is good example of making good yet seasonal color choices. There's many ways to ring in the summer - use more white, use lighter shades of colors, evoke nautical themes/colorways, etc... It is harder to do than fall/winter and we forgive ourselves too easily for these faux-pas.

15. NewYorkIslander

G, we may be arguing around the issue here.

Again, i don't mind critique, at all. In fact, it may or may not surprise you guys to find out I'm extremely color blind (I obviously know that the pants were orange) but have a very difficult time picking apart shades of colors and putting them together, so the comment on my belt/shoes and shirt was extremely helpful. I just think your comment, as I initially read it, didn't offer much constructively, but the conversation that followed did, for me and others.

I had a shitty day at work, excuse my testiness...:cheers: