WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

I'm not feeling the lower half here. The socks/shoes aren't working for me with those jeans. I would also prefer a navy chino instead of the jeans as a whole. The top half I like, but the bottom is just too clashy clashy for me.

2. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

A cheap-ass H&M from a few years ago. The fit is nice, but the wool is thin and floppy.

3. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

+1. Jeans are too worn out to be combined with dressy items (balmorals, tie, shirt). Darker denim and chukka boots or something would work better.

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

you ain't funny dood.

5. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

???

6. furo

furo Senior member

I personally think the jeans are an inch or two too short, even by conservative mc denim standards, if those exist

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  7. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Good job on the weight loss - keep it up! Just a few pounds more! Cardio really helps lose those last few pounds, I've heard.

Re. the fit, I think you need a slimmer sweater. If you're daring enough, you could throw it in the washer and dryer - I've done it before, and it works to shrink sweaters. The only danger is that you'll tear up the sweater or shrink it too much.

Glad to have you with us.[​IMG]

8. moizak

moizak Active Member

Thanks! I'm a bit worried about the dryer thing, though, if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit and I shouldn't be wearing it. Pound for pound though, it's probably the most expensive thing I own, being as it's a TSE Cashmere sweater and to compound things it was a gift from my wife.....then again, I suppose one of my kids could have it if it all went desperately wrong!

Thanks! I did have the same thought in my mind all day, even when driving in to work I considered removing the tie but just thought that as I don't wear ties at all I was just having a mild panic attack. Should have listened to myself!

Trousers I seems to be struggling with. The more I lose weight, the more apparent it becomes as to how wide my hips are and If I were a woman I would be rocking a killer hourglass figure (I'm hoping much of that will change with the upper body work I am doing though). However, wide hips mean buying trousers OTR becomes a bit tricky....I either have to go a bit loose or I have to accept the pockets sticking out as the trousers end up a bit to tight around my bum. I picked up a pair of chinos in Uniqlo this morning which do exactly that (but they were £9.90 so I thought what the hell), maybe I will throw them on and post a picture, see if they are a step in the right direction. I don't want to hijack this thread though, is there a better thread I could post it to?

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Well just damn! I've lost another half inch! I know gravity is what keeps us from floating off the ground but sometimes...

Gravity sux.

10. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

If you have a reputable cleaners nearby, they could do it for you. It's called "blocking" - they use water and heat to shrink the sweater and essentially make it smaller all around. It looks like your sweater would be a good candidate for this, since it's a little big everywhere.

11. acecow

acecow Senior member

Or just go to H&M and buy a few sweaters for $15 each in your size.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

TB, I'd either ditch the tie or go with a casual bowtie. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, but generally, no jacket, no FIH IMO.

13. moizak

moizak Active Member

Thanks CD, I'll make an enquiry at the local dry cleaners. Not sure how reputable they are though, might be worth my while visiting one of the posher parts of London.

I did almost exactly that! Picked up two sweaters, a merino wool grey one and a pale blue cotton mix one on sale in Uniqlo.

14. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

15. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member