WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

It is not absurd to crash in the Andes. If it had happened to you, you would know that I speak the truth.

The politically correct phrase is "myopically-abled."

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

This is awesome. Clothing as a team sport. Who will dare to go sit at the other team's table in the cafeteria?

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

This thing, the thing you're doing here with the jacket cuffs? Don't ever do this thing again.

Come on Teger.

I can see that. But in the pic it forms a stop at the wrong end. If you tuck in your shirt it would break at the waist. That might be a good middle ground. Here, its eyes at the bottom and then Jack's waiting at the top.

I will, you bearded prick, and you better watch out over there because the cafeteria is serving carrots tomorrow and I'm a good shot.

4. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

A common thread throughout Style Forum is that your clothes should correspond to your life. When Holdfast, F. Corbera, itsstillmatt and a limited number of others wear tailored clothing as casual clothing, it's clear they're doing what's natural to them, perhaps based on role models from earlier in their lives. And they look great wearing clothes that way.

But when most of the people in this thread dress that, they look like douchebags. Many look like they learned to dress that way by either this forum or GQ.

At least half of it is an age thing. I think it's much harder to pull off if you're younger than 35-40. Not that this will necessarily change when the current 30-year-olds are 40, because traditional formality in clothing is fading. My guess is that most American teenagers had sports coats in the early 90s, but most didn't by the end of that decade. This is relevant, both because it's harder for the sub-35-year-olds to look natural wearing tailored clothing casually, and because there are going to be fewer and fewer social contexts where they don't stick out like a sore thumb.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

:)

I wish I were British, so I could write a sentence like that.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

I went back and stared at your outfit again. I agree with everything above, btw. In your outfit, amusingly, it is the jacket that makes it casual. Without it, I would want to interpret the look as biz-caz; with it, casual. Almost every other item is just on the casual side of formal, true, but it is the jacket that does it for me. That jacket in this context just doesn't read as serious.

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Interesting. I thought it was the sweater that gave it that element. Without it, it would have been sport coat and slacks on "casual friday" and he just took the tie off after the office. That sort of thing.

8. james_timothy

^Maybe you're right. He's a high enough level player to make it seem like he just threw it together- when it'd probably fall apart if he did anything different. Like taking off the sweater.

When I was staring at it, everything was just this side of formal. The shirt? Nearly white but in fact tatersall. The shoes? Nice leather but in fact monk straps. The sweater? More casual than not wearing it.

Only the flannels- and in MC land they are just odd trousers.

Fuuma's was like that too. Did you notice it was a Rick Owens jacket? Like shah said on SW&D, it sort of faded into the outfit. Makes it look easy, like he just threw the stuff on. Loose the sweater and who knows.

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I liked Fuuma's Rick fit, too (maybe because that's how I'd wear it -- ie not like a Japanese Columbine perp), but elsewhere in the fora, they caution you against pairing Rick leathers with white oxfords and other banalities. (And by caution you against, I mean, mercilessly flay you).

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  10. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

It only happened once, or at least one lone famous time. There have been other crashed but they are not familiar to most of the world. A group of uruguayan rugbiers were on the plain that crushed there. It was cold, they had nothing to eat, lot of dead team mates laying around... cannibalism ensued.

I

11. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

This is funny. I´ve been reading GQ online everyday for the past 2 years more or less, but I´ve never actually used that as an approach to a new look. I like the different columns, whether about fashion, entertainment, girls, cars and gears, politics, etc. It´s one my sources to check fashion shows also. I enjoy browsing all of that, but I have my own style and the GQ look has never been one I was interesting in copying. I might get a cue from here or there but that´s about it.

12. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Gotcha...my bad. Just seemed incongruous along side SVB.

13. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

15. james_timothy

I remember that- Namor, right? But he was wearing RRL chinos, and clunky Redwing boots with an even more aggressively styled Rick Owens jacket. Fuuma's is almost monochromatic and doesn't have that clash of Americana and Rick. And now we're back to that sweater.