Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Jeans are 1967 actually, not 59s. Need another soak. Or jump in the ocean.

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

CD- this is just dreadful, sorry. It looks like shrink wrapped polyester over 70's pants; the red Nike swoop does nothing for it. Where Holdfast looks like he's goofing off, you look like you are dressing up.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

3. furo

furo Senior member

+1, not to mention that it's exaggerated by the skinny/tapered jeans - although in fairness I haven't seen what a straight leg cut looks like on him

4. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

This sort of snarky, fallacious reductionism isn't helping anyone. I know you were making a joke of the whole thing, but your comparisons concerning casual activities are so absurd that the point you're trying to make doesn't even register.

Another SFer on the SW&D side just described MCers as "myopic" in their approach to mens clothing, and I don't think I could sum it up more adequately.

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I suppose everything comes down to definitions in the end. FWIW, I think Fuuma describes the situation quite eloquently:
    That's it, yes. The general atmosphere of the restaurant, the specific event I was there for, and the activity thereafter were all resolutely casual. I'm not trying to snark or troll the thread, I promise you. I'm actually just trying out posting what I wear in casual settings (with all the contextual provisos above) in this thread as well as in the main WAYWRN. I want to emphasise that I have nothing against SW&D looks either; I think a lot of them are interesting and exciting. They don't fit into my life, but I can like them as outfits in the abstract. Similarly, I think it's possible for others to appreciate the kinds of outfit I wear casually, in an abstract way, accepting that they may not fit into their lives.

Possibly. But I don't think enough people still go to church services in England for this to be much a factor. Only about 10% of us go to church weekly, whereas I think it's about 50% in the USA. Personally, I don't go.

Thank you for the explanation.

re: the bolded bit - that would be an accurate description of my lunch & afternoon, yes. And a lot of fun it was. :)

Your snark just hit a new height, lol.

I get that; don't worry I'm not taking anything personally. I'm trying to answer as honestly/clearly/unspun as I can, to further what it is indeed a good discussion.

6. DLester

DLester Senior member

No.

And I would be the one eating the fat chick, not the other way around.

(there is a joke in there somewhere...)

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

the whole post was a joke.

If you've seen his casual fits you'd know that he probably lurks SW&D a little bit (or just has similar tastes to some posters).

8. reedobandito

reedobandito Senior member

Ah, guess I jumped the gun a bit then, my b

9. DLester

DLester Senior member

then I envy you people. Odd things happen when 50% of your population goes to church. I am not supposed to say something like that, and I just did, on the internet. Now I can't run for president.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Agreed, Hoff.

11. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I just don't understand how the following "fits" (for lack of a better word)...
    ...can be posted in the same thread as the well put together SVB below. Are they even from the same planet?

12. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    ^ In fairness, I posted them here, not Fuuma.

13. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

They aren't MC casual and I didn't post them here so that might be why. Once again they aren't very out there (aside from the ethnic cape) at a fashion show or similar event.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

^ I think the blazer/white trousers with kneepads look would fit very easily into this thread, personally. I like that one quite a bit, and not just in a fashion show setting.

You also posted a more general thought about being interested in what made it look like I was fairly relaxed whereas CDHagg's look doesn't.

Well, obviously part of it is as simple & meaningless as the relaxed photo pose and the cheesy grin in mine. But leaving that aside, the other differences are the nature of the items: his jacket & trousers are clearly in much more formal materials and patterns than mine and the square is in a highly aggressive vivid solid colour. All of those things push the look away from relaxed and towards "dressy" (horrid word, I agree, but can't think of any better... you know what I mean). I think the fact that CDH's items fit in a less than flattering manner also adds to the visual difference. Not saying that my items fit exceptionally well (they don't; I could easily reel off a litany of minor issues with almost every item I'm wearing), just that they fit better than CDH's, which makes for an unfair overall visual comparison when assessing something like how relaxed a person looks in an outfit.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

This sounds MC to me. Por ejemplo: