• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hagg, when you match the pocket square with the jacket lining, there, it looks like you've just herniated the chest pocket (like you've been struck by a sword in an old play).

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

This is a fine look but it is not casual by my definition. What do you wear to mow the lawn, go to a football/cricket/whatever game, run to the hardware store to pick up nails, or sit around the house to watch the tv?

So, kind of a lowest-common-denominator look, then, is your take on the current SW&D subforvm viewpoint on things?

What would you wear digging a ditch, or locked in jujitsu combat, or taking a dump on (or off) a boat?

You're on a plane, and it crashes in the Andes. Food is running out. Weather is bad. And that plump chick from Omaha is starting to look tasty. You tustle. You lose. She's got about 80lbs on you. As she starts gnawing on your wrists, what would you wear?

You've time traveled to the future. You pop through a vortex, nude like Arnold in that Terminator movie. You stagger into a store and steal some clothes. What would those clothes be?

I think that I get it!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a fine look but it is not casual by my definition. What do you wear to mow the lawn, go to a football/cricket/whatever game, run to the hardware store to pick up nails, or sit around the house to watch the tv?

Speaking only for myself, I'm not attempting to look stylish when engaged in any those activities, so why would I post pics of myself on StyleForvm in those clothes?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For instance, In the restaurant I had lunch in approximately 80% of the men were dressed within a similar range (mostly minus a square). Since it's a Sunday, I think it's safe to assume that none of them were working. Some were even wearing ties for their casual lunch. This isn't some hyper-exclusive/pricey Michelin-starred eatery either; it's a large, reasonably nice, not particularly expensive restaurant on the High Street.

This does not sound like a casual restaurant, if 80% of the people there were wearing sportcoats.

Maybe there is some kind of American-English/English-English translation problem going on, in addition to the differences in taste.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Speaking only for myself, I'm not attempting to look stylish when engaged in any those activities, so why would I post pics of myself on StyleForvm in those clothes?

Neither would I, but those are casual clothes.

I am trying to settle on a definition of casual. Right now SF casual seems to range from "dressed for work but removed tie" to "greasy tank top with sweats and hammered sneaks."

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(re Restaurants, possibly everyone had just come from church. You'll also see this in Red Lobsters throughout the US of A).

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this. Not that I understand denim, but aren't the jeans a bit too stacked. I get the theoretical visual benefit of a bit of stacking in this look, but that strikes me as a one row too much, no?

A lot of modern jean cuts are based off a Dior cut designed by Hedi Slimane (which was in turn based off APC, I think), who had a lot to do with the super-slim everything trend of the past decade or so.

As long as you have longer legs and the jeans are slim enough, you can have as much stacking as you like, really. It's a specific look that generally looks good with very casual outfits, the original Dior cut has about a 39" inseam and wasn't designed to be hemmed.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Neither would I, but those are casual clothes.
I am trying to settle on a definition of casual. Right now SF casual seems to range from "dressed for work but removed tie" to "greasy tank top with sweats and hammered sneaks."

Holdfast is probably referring to the atmosphere of the restaurant and yes, the type of activity he is engaging in (taking a stroll). He's not one of those marsupials who think what some guy in Milwaukee thinks should be the criteria for what you wear, I would believe he is merely attempting to illustrate how his own environment not only shaped what he enjoys wearing but also what is “appropriate” for him to wear on a day to day basis. Yeah the two hopefully intersect.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I like this. Not that I understand denim, but aren't the jeans a bit too stacked. I get the theoretical visual benefit of a bit of stacking in this look, but that strikes me as a one row too much, no?

Your confusion concerning "stacking" is pathetic, so here is a video showing exactly how it works:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Pay particular attention to the stair sequences, because they are an accurate portrayal of how someone in new, stacked, raw, artisanal, hand-baked Nippon-san denim actually walks down stairs.

Keep in mind a lot of raw, artisanal, hand-baked Nippon-san denim is stiffer than the metal used in the 1960s for the Slinky. Keep washes to one or two times per decade, and your bacteria will soften up the cotton...this is why it is important to buy premium denim in your twenties because you'll only be able to get around to laundering them in your forties or fifties.

Last edited:

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am trying to settle on a definition of casual.

3503448168_7cfb49b975.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

can someone explain to me how a blazer, dress pants, dress shoes, dress shirt and a pocket square.. is casual?

The point I want to make by x-posting a few of my looks into this thread is that the definition of "casual" depends massively on your life, age, mindset, where you live, and I'm sure many, many other factors too. For some, denim and streetwear is absolutely what they consider casual. For others, it's looks like mine. I think both types can be represented in this thread, without losing the overarching concept that both can be considered "non-business" casual types of look.

To me, Holdfast looks like he's goofing off. But he explains it better than I can. I'm interested in exactly how he does it, just as I am in gdl's walk of no shame.

If the look is non-business, just carrying out the rest of life, then I'm interested in it for this thread. The "rest of life" is the important part of life. How do you dress for it?

Non-rigid thinking, no narrow mindedness. It'll make the thread interesting.

Last edited:

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Are you saying that you are attempting to look stylish when you do post pics of yourself?

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(re Restaurants, possibly everyone had just come from church. You'll also see this in Red Lobsters throughout the US of A).

This is a very good point, but again I don't think those people dressed for Sunday church would consider
themselves to be dressed casually.

^ and +1, re windmills, just saw that.

Holdfast is probably referring to the atmosphere of the restaurant and yes, the type of activity he is engaging in (taking a stroll). He's not one of those marsupials who think what some guy in Milwaukee thinks should be the criteria for what you wear, I would believe he is merely attempting to illustrate how his own environment not only shaped what he enjoys wearing but also what is “appropriate” for him to wear on a day to day basis. Yeah the two hopefully intersect.

Sure I get it. I suppose this "what is casual" issue is going to be one of those ongoing debates here.

Holdfast, for what it is worth I was not trying to be personal. I just saw your post as a good jumping off point for the direction I wanted to take the discussion. Your pics in this thread that I have seen look good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics