• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday aka dadterday. The shirt was a Father’s Day gift. How did they know? :fistbump:

265D2237-E4B4-4873-BDF1-8BFF8A6B2929.jpeg

10DCF954-3C29-424A-884B-2C7385636A08.jpeg

717970FF-B015-4915-A219-A9E3D0AA00BD.jpeg

F842BD23-3495-461E-A498-13C4D3124FFA.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there to see the reaction.

I have a pair of RLP 59/41 linen-silk strides in dark navy. Flat front, loose fit, light weight. Got them off eBay some time ago, never wore them. Set them aside for resale but ...

Re-discovered them recently and thought ‘these are really nice’ and rescued them. So in order to avoid them hanging up unworn again - would anyone wear strides like these, and if so, what with?

Full disclosure, living in Florida my go-to outfit for say dinner out on a weekend, especially during summer months, is usually a polo, loose fit popover or linen shirt with linen strides and driving mocs. I have several linen strides all in the off-white / cream / beige spectrum, none of them are dark. So what sort of shirt /top would pair with dark navy strides? (I have driving mocs in dark blue nubuck, navy suede and black grain so the shoe angle is covered!)

Any thoughts much appreciated - thanks!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of RLP 59/41 linen-silk strides in dark navy. Flat front, loose fit, light weight. Got them off eBay some time ago, never wore them. Set them aside for resale but ...

Re-discovered them recently and thought ‘these are really nice’ and rescued them. So in order to avoid them hanging up unworn again - would anyone wear strides like these, and if so, what with?

Full disclosure, living in Florida my go-to outfit for say dinner out on a weekend, especially during summer months, is usually a polo, loose fit popover or linen shirt with linen strides and driving mocs. I have several linen strides all in the off-white / cream / beige spectrum, none of them are dark. So what sort of shirt /top would pair with dark navy strides? (I have driving mocs in dark blue nubuck, navy suede and black grain so the shoe angle is covered!)

I think a plain white polo could look nice with them. Since they're partially silk (and unless you like the cut right now), I'd suggest getting them tapered in from the knee down and hemming them just a touch high. With the silk mixture they should drape nicely and look better with the mocs, IMO.

Preferably though, I would go with something like a strongly patterned, short-sleeve shirt. Think hawaiian type, but not as camp. A Breton stripe shirt would look nice.

When I think of navy summer trousers, my first inclination is towards 'tropical' or 'nautical' and less riviera. If part of your style, a bracelet or two would also set the whole thing off well.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a plain white polo could look nice with them. Since they're partially silk (and unless you like the cut right now), I'd suggest getting them tapered in from the knee down and hemming them just a touch high. With the silk mixture they should drape nicely and look better with the mocs, IMO.

Preferably though, I would go with something like a strongly patterned, short-sleeve shirt. Think hawaiian type, but not as camp. A Breton stripe shirt would look nice.

When I think of navy summer trousers, my first inclination is towards 'tropical' or 'nautical' and less riviera. If part of your style, a bracelet or two would also set the whole thing off well.
Thanks for this.
I have an as yet unworn LS pique polo from SS that might work well with this.
I also have several breton shirts and never even thought of wearing them but I can see it’s a good suggestion.
The cut of the strides is already as you suggested.

I think the ‘severity’ of navy and white is a ‘colder’ combination (sorry if these are poor adjectives) that makes it a notch more formal than my usual combo of blue or aqua linen shirt with beige / cream / sand linen strides.
Cheers!

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this.
I have an as yet unworn LS pique polo from SS that might work well with this.
I also have several breton shirts and never even thought of wearing them but I can see it’s a good suggestion.
The cut of the strides is already as you suggested.

I think the ‘severity’ of navy and white is a ‘colder’ combination (sorry if these are poor adjectives) that makes it a notch more formal than my usual combo of blue or aqua linen shirt with beige / cream / sand linen strides.
Cheers!

Ah, I took 'loose fit' to mean something like 'wide through the leg.' I can see what you mean with white and navy - it looks better with a polo or short sleeve to me than a regular shirt tucked. Not sure why though, but I just trust my own eye.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is an easy one.
* White polo
* White linen popover/LS shirt
* Tonal blue linen popover
* Since you're in Florida, anything in the silk variety - bonus points for Miami Vice pastels

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an easy one.
* White polo
* White linen popover/LS shirt
* Tonal blue linen popover
* Since you're in Florida, anything in the silk variety - bonus points for Miami Vice pastels
Cheers Eli.
All of the above are doable. I’m not much into pastels but certainly don’t mind a Miami Vice reference!

Attachments

• AD92A5BC-68AC-403D-9AC4-F5184DF90E85.jpeg
    AD92A5BC-68AC-403D-9AC4-F5184DF90E85.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 80

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads