WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

I'm checking it out. That beater cost me 30$ though, when I desperately needed a warm winter coat, which it is. When I have real money I'll probably replace it with something a bit less ugly and more durable, but frankly I've become attached to the jacket simply because its damn comfy.

incidentally, I'd said it was from the 1990s, and was a bad copy of a WW2 jacket, not that it was a WW2 jacket.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

that does remind me of Wilson's. I remember as a kid I thought it was the shit! :embar:

3. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

Then you graduated to SF and learned about TOJ. [​IMG]

4. CDHagg

CDHagg Senior member

@Rompson

Why did you post this in MC Casual?

I suppose anything less than White Tie is "casual" for you? [​IMG]

5. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Because, perhaps, it actually has nothing to do with style, and implies nothing (whatever you may decide to infer from it)... and says directly only what photographic equipment one has, what photographic skills one has, and / or how much one is prepared to make the effort to take photographs of oneself. And, incidentally, brilliant photography can actually sometimes make viewers not see what is bad. LiamO at least has an attitude that says he doesn't take himself too seriously and he's going to learn: that's worth hundreds of well-staged photographs of mediocre fits (that, BTW, is no comment on anyone else in particular).

6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Ah the three wolf moon...great.

Yesterday, rehearsing kids for a performance all afternoon...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    then off to the gym.

7. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Amen, to everything Shoreman wrote. These Aran sweaters are chunky and tend to bulge out at the waist. The classic example would be the famed LL Bean Norwegian sweater. This is true, also, of the Barbour cable knit sweaters. A look at the shawl sweaters worn by Steve McQueen show the same thing. It is part of the "warming system"--the air space between the wool and the body. I admit that the look isn't necessarily flattering. But there is no denying the warmth such sweaters provide. I'd be afraid to put such a sweater in the dryer. It might shrink the arms and chest too much.

As someone else posted, Liam O is a good sport.

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

That ebay Schott (which is pretty funny--did they really label jackets "WW2" during WWII?) looks very little like liam's jacket except it's brown and has epaulets. The ebay model is a pretty straightforward a2-style bomber, and liam's appears to have weird angled pockets, etc. :deadhorse: I know, I just think you have to be more discerning

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

As clothes also have nothing to do with style, just how much work one is prepared to put into them. Just a straight ahead argument about mind and ideas: how clothes don't really matter. Which they don't.

...except here in SF, where they do. As does photography, which matters here on SF because it is the medium to express the work.

Now Manton, his photos are awful, but he makes up for it in crystal clear interesting text.

Oh, and why Rompson posting here? I thought it clear: since he's wearing a black suit, as a good SFer he can't be at work. If he's not at work, he's at play. This is the [email protected] thread.

10. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

Why yes. How did you know?
    [​IMG]

Image credit goes to Tibor

11. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

I am quite obviously at a funeral, the only context in which a black suit is appropriate. Frankly, I'm surprised that you didn't pick up on that, given my demeanor and surroundings.

12. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Yeah, I found a fitted Aran style sweater from a scottish company. Even if the sleeves were long enough, it just looks strange... and thank you

Dude, you have possibly the most ecclectic wardrobe I've seen (that works). I wish you were my size so I could justify stealing all your threads ;)

TYVM

And here's me with my "happypents" on today, because I know today's gonna suck so my ass might as well look cheerful. Think I might have taken the taper a bit far though. Cropped my head for your benefit, as I got about two hours of sleep and my face could give medusa a run for its money atm.

[​IMG]

Shoes/pants
    [​IMG]

This jacket is the closest to making sartorial sense of any that fit, still a bit unsure about it though (and it needs to be taken in)
    [​IMG]

The shirt was a present without a gift receipt, I'm not sure about the shirt by itself, so I always cover it with a jacket, sweater, vest, or cardigan.I always feel weird about wearing (certain) military inspired items, and I'm afraid this one is right on the "you look like a damned mall-cop" line, not yet sure which side. Please tell me so I can ditch it if need be.
    [​IMG]

13. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Navy North Sea Clothing "Expedition" sweater with an uber wide waste band.
    LL Bean Signature khaki
    Wolverine 1000 mile boot

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have that sweater. Found it new for $25. Dig it, but would suggest a slimmer trou.

15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Since the topic of "WW2" jackets has come up...

[​IMG]