• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was trying to emphasize the "dress" in my comment (and using a SF rather than layman's definition of dress). IMO, most biz-cas looks use pants and shirts that look like they belong to the more formal end of the spectrum and would look better with jacket and tie.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At one point in the history of this thread, we thought it meant jacket-less fits. That's gone by the wayside. But if it meant for anything specific, this thread should be for what guys wear when they are not on the job. This being MC, inevitably it will tend toward "dressier fits without a jacket and tie"- biz-caz.

If someone wants to explore doing biz-caz without the dreadfull-ness by using less formal stuff, for example linen-cotton instead of cotton pants, or going the heritage/workwear route, well and good. There was a guy a couple years ago, Warlock... Warlock1980 was it? that could do it well.

most biz-cas looks use pants and shirts that look like they belong to the more formal end of the spectrum and would look better with jacket and tie.

So you are suggesting that folks either put on that jacket and tie- and thus go over to MC WAYRN, or try the more informal end; in my language try for a less respectability.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spirit of Shetland sweater
BB OCBD shirt
LL Bean jeans and moccasin

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

At one point in the history of this thread, we thought it meant jacket-less fits. That's gone by the wayside. But if it meant for anything specific, this thread should be for what guys wear when they are not on the job. This being MC, inevitably it will tend toward "dressier fits without a jacket and tie"- biz-caz.
If someone wants to explore doing biz-caz without the dreadfull-ness by using less formal stuff, for example linen-cotton instead of cotton pants, or going the heritage/workwear route, well and good. There was a guy a couple years ago, Warlock... Warlock1980 was it? that could do it well.
So you are suggesting that folks either put on that jacket and tie- and thus go over to MC WAYRN, or try the more informal end; in my language try for a less respectability.

What I'm trying to figure out is what puts the "biz" in biz-caz. I think it is that the formality of the individual pieces is much higher than the formality of the overall look.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What I'm trying to figure out is what puts the "biz" in biz-caz. I think it is that the formality of the individual pieces is much higher than the formality of the overall look.

That sounds as reasonable a one-sentence definition as one likely be found. It only works in context though- think Dudley Moore's drunk groom and his decidedly non-formal look despite wearing a full formal morning suit.

I call it squarely in the "I know it in when I see it" category.

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He has that shrink-wapped look that isn't good. Plus the shoe color is ugly. He's got the idea, now he's got to execute better.

Thanks for the contribution.

Fair call -- I had been at work all day, which accounts for some of the pulling -- however, I appreciate that you picked up on it.
Also, the shoe colour is pretty subjective. I love love love love love love it; but that's fair enough that you don't. What colour do you think would be more inoffensive?

Take into account that I'm very young in comparison to a lot of forumites (only just approaching 20), therefore, poor as ****. I also live in the Southern Hemisphere, so sometimes I have to take what I can get in terms of buying retail. Also, I want to dress my age (with a little youthful indiscretion).

Here is some more: (Sorry, there was so much light beaming in through the back window that I couldn't get a decent full body shot -- so here are two shots)

Last edited:

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@james_timothy

Thanks for the dissection of that fit. I didn't like it myself - in fact, I was really kind of embarrassed to be seen in public, but I didn't know why it was bad. You've given me food for thought.

CDHagg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the contribution.

Fair call -- I had been at work all day, which accounts for some of the pulling -- however, I appreciate that you picked up on it.
Also, the shoe colour is pretty subjective. I love love love love love love it; but that's fair enough that you don't. What colour do you think would be more inoffensive?

Take into account that I'm very young in comparison to a lot of forumites (only just approaching 20), therefore, poor as ****. I also live in the Southern Hemisphere, so sometimes I have to take what I can get in terms of buying retail. Also, I want to dress my age (with a little youthful indiscretion).

Here is some more: (Sorry, there was so much light beaming in through the back window that I couldn't get a decent full body shot -- so here are two shots)

Seems like the very professional tie and shirt run counter to the gq-casual sockless look.
That SC, though...
inlove.gif
Deets please?

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well the tie is a silk-knit -- I felt like that communicated the 'casual' part.
Thanks man -- it's not SF approved so I might be crucified.

It's part of a suit from Indochino I bought in the 11th grade.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice cuffs on those charcoal pants. How large are they? And who made the pants?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads