WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Friend challenged me to wear no brown, no earth tones, without dipping into my business casual.

This may be the first post that I put on here that doesn't get utterly shredded...

[​IMG]

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

This is pretty bad. The fit is OK, but the elements by themselves or in conjunction with each other look very off. You have posted quite a few outfits lately and I commend you for trying and for taking the criticism like a grown-up. I think that you need to tone down your experimenting and start with the most basic things like jeans+shirt+sweater. Forget about vests and extra layers and ties for a month or two. It's not working just yet.

3. acecow

acecow Senior member

Is it the pants? You guys don't like the pants? I love 'em!!!

Last photo is of me blowing into a used co... I mean, blowing some hookah smoke through a straw dipped into soap water. Cool smokey bubbles all around!

4. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

5. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

+1. It's like you have just thrown a bunch of discordant shit together and hoped it would look good. Again. If you have been reading Vox's (F. Corbera's) thread about harmony, the Cliff Notes essence of some of what he is saying is to go back to basics and learn to crawl before you try to run, and even though he is focussing on 'coat and tie' busines formal type dressing, the same applies to casual.

I have never seen a tie look good with a blouson/bike style leather jacket. Ties are almost always from the formal end of the spectrum (knitted square ends possibly less so), while a short leather bike jacket is about the most casual outer layer you can possibly choose.

Why would you think a knitteed vest would look good under this leather jacket? (Why would you think a knitted vest would look good period? Sorry, that's my personal bias but they usually look shite to me!) Especially when it is LONGER than the outer layer? Do what Ace suggests and just forget about vests for the foreseeable future and go back to basics. Pick out some photos of outfits that you think look really good (on people age and size appropriate to you). Ask yourself WHY you think they look good and why they might look good on you. Don't buy anything for a while until you start to zero in on what really works for you in terms of both your gut feeling and your external harmonious look.

6. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

What isn't there to like. Nicely done.

7. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Senior member

Two cents here...removing the leather jacket would do the most to improve the look (though it is hard to tell what the vest would look like without the jacket)....to me it is the sum total of the pieces from "all across the spectrum" that lowers the asthetic value of the look.

Perhaps try this....leave the jacket, vest and tie off and see what you have with the shirt, jeans, and shoes. If you like that, then you could start adding some additional pieces--but do them one at a time and take as to how they look as you go. Trial and error, but the suggestion about getting some pictures/ideas of looks you like and then trying build from that is good advice too.

8. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

The pants are boss, everyone just stressed out by the hairless chest.

I can only hope your were busting out some journey, or some proclaimers (btw, 5000 miles is perhaps the single greatest gift to karaoke since the compact disc.)

9. I am DIL

I am DIL Senior member

I agree. Liam, I have to hand it to you -- considering the amount of shit that you've taken for the past couple of months, you're holding up well, and with a lot of decency.

I also agree that you might need to work on the basics before you embellish your look.

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

[​IMG]

11. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

yeah. I tend to do better with simplicity. Its not really intentional that I'm layering, its actually functional (and a BIT because I want to).

Since I dropped this weight, all my shirts are baggy, so I feel like I have to wear a vest over them to keep them from billowing, and now I've gotten small enough that the sweaters I bought two months ago look like trashbags on me. On the one hand, I'm glad I have a waist, not an equator, but on the other its f*cking expensive and a PITA because every fit/combo is currently out of commission. I'm basically working with a bunch of cords my dad's ex bought him in ~1979, some odd (and not particularly high quality) second hand tweeds from when I was in HS, and some random pieces friends and family got me for christmas this year on the assumption that because I favor tweeds that anything tweed they get me is great.

All that being said, this post was way outside my comfort level. Wrong palette, wrong aesthetic, and apparently not even close to internally consistent. But, valuable lessons were learned.

So thanks dudes!

12. Steedy Gent

Steedy Gent Member

I'm right there with ya, dude. I recently lost over 50 pounds and nothing I used to wear fits. If you don't already, you should check out the thrift stores in your area (as UrbanComposition) recommended in the WAYWRN thread.) You have to invest some time and effort to find stuff that's worth wearing, but you'll get better stuff than you'd believe and pay almost nothing for it.

13. Steedy Gent

Steedy Gent Member

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

14. james_timothy

Yes.

It's so nice that global warming has eliminated winter this year.

15. james_timothy

You want to do your photos better- they're pretty good now. Try outside, try one good full body shot before the detail shots. The odd angles makes it harder to judge the clothes.

As for the fit- I don't think the pocket square is worth it. It sort of marks you as trying hard, given that you're wearing jeans. That's not a rule, it is just what's going on here.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012