WAYWRN: Classic Menswear, Casual Style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by acecow, Jul 6, 2011.

1. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind having a little more of "this" going on in this thread?

But the halcyon days of SF are long past apparently...

2. JumpinHowie

JumpinHowie Senior member

Ahh, aren't you so cute and cuddly [​IMG]

So i saw a few examples of technical vests like these nylon down vests over and under sport coats that I thought looked really great, but it didn't look great when I tried them on (as you could see in the blue vest. That's why I tried the look again without the vest). So while I'm running errands today I am going to return the blue one. I'll spend the money on something else and try a new look.

3. JumpinHowie

Oh, and these are my casual errand cloths[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

Like the cardigan. Details? I think brown shoes would be less of a contrast and look more casual, but a nice look overall.

5. JumpinHowie

It was just a cheap INC cardigan I love the design of with the shawl collar, toggles and elbow patches. I was Christmas shopping, and the price was right so I got it.
    the shoes are dark brown suede.

6. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I just looked up a few photos for kicks, and the only time I think it works is when you wear the jacket open, and pop the collar so the lapels are out. Of course now you are in SW&D territory.

7. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Sorry for being a n00b but "SW&D"? What does that mean?

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Streetwear & Denim, the other side of Styleforum.

9. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Do you mean on the jacket and vest combo? That's Pitti territory, not SW&D. Everywhere on SF you pop a collar at great risk to your own internet safety; it can be done but it isn't easy to avoid ridicule.

By the way, that sweater is too small for you, jumpin.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

10. Liam O

Liam O Senior member

Ah. Thanks for that.

11. JumpinHowie

It is a large and I am floating around in waist area (althought you cant see it in the picture since I have it pulled back a little. That is probaly why it might look tight.

12. Mr.K

Mr.K Senior member

A Cold Day In Charlotte

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. james_timothy

There was this interesting conversation over in CBD. Parts of it is relevant for this thread.

There is a lot in there- and I didn't copy over Doc Holliday's musing about what MC Casual Style means for SF/MC.

But I think a gauntlet has been thrown: step up our game! This is not a thread for sloppy careless fits.

MC Casual is a thread for exploring how men can dress casually but well, about exploring how that can be done , and being done without reaching for that awful aesthetic: business causal. If you guys don't know about Levis Vintage Clothing, Nigel Cabourn, or Margaret Howell, take a look: these are quality clothing makers for men and a good place to begin to begin. Not every casual look has to start with the aesthetics of Cucinelli or Polo. Holdfast's summer Loro Piano was interesting, remember?

I've evolved away from this thread being the place for fits without jackets- this is a place for casual fits, without or without jackets and ties, but without the reach to CBD. The idea of taste that was at the beginning of the CBD thread should be here; and we should feel free to mock fits that aren't good. It should be a thread where you explore what it takes to look good, in your own style, using the "grown man" paradigm that Phat talks about.

A grown man style thread that focuses on style, fabrics and quality, on clothing for those times when the last thing on one's mind is business.

14. james_timothy

Futhermore and funnily, here is Neris's view:
    Do you hear what he says? The best in SW&D WAYWRN are more subdued than the median in MC WAYWRN! Fascinating, and an object lesson for this thread.

This thread which, again, isn't aimed at "dress in a coat and tie for work, you have to impart a sense of austerity, seriousness and respect for the people you're working with", but in a sense of taste, style and respect for those you have chosen to spend your precious non-business time with.

15. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Who makes that sweater, the colour shade is almost making me like how it goes w. chinos (no easy feat!).