• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah but I'm in Hong Kong and shopping at western stores. :s I just hate having to take stuff to the tailor and waiting 1-2 weeks to get it back, and adding extra onto the price... sigh.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

350x558px-LL-0253465a_Photo1.jpeg

350x350px-LL-834ca1bb_Photo1-1.jpeg

A more casual tie would have been better, IMO, but I like the cardi.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah but I'm in Hong Kong and shopping at western stores. :s I just hate having to take stuff to the tailor and waiting 1-2 weeks to get it back, and adding extra onto the price... sigh.

But given your location though, it will be mostly Chinese that the stores are selling to rather than expats and tourists, so that will probably be the sizing of garments that they'll be stocking. Apparently HK's population is 95% ethnic Chinese.

Remember reading something about Marks & Spencer screwing-up on sizing when they first opened stores. Apparently they stocked with European size ranges but with mostly Chinese customers. So they ended up with excess stock of larger sizes that they couldn't shift, while completely selling out of smaller sized garments.

Last edited:

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I wonder what the sizing difference is here with Uniqlo/Zara/H&M etc. I'm a XL at uniqlo/ L in zara but I've never tried those stores in the USA.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uniqlo adjusts the sizes. If you're an XL in the clothes you bought at their Asian stores you'll want to buy L from their NY stores.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How tall are you Eason? You look 1.83 m at least. It shouldn´t be that difficult finding clothes that fit.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Inspired by E's charcoal-on-black:

charcoal/black and cardi look nice. ditch the tie (by that i mean goodwill that puppy).
cardi with tie always reminds me of mr. rogers.

Last edited:

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
charcoal/black and cardi look nice. ditch the tie (by that i mean goodwill that puppy).

Someone at the office actually said to me this morning, "How's it going, Mr. Rogers?"

(I told him it was a beautiful day in the neighborhood, of course.)

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with the no tie without jacket rule...but I think a sweater works in place of a jacket in several situations.

On that very subject, here's a cross-post from WAYWRN. Although I wore the SC to work, I took it off almost as soon as I arrived and never felt lacking. The cardi was a fine substitute.

Cozy in my new BR cardigan.
Closeup-124.jpg

Cardigan.jpg

You say that like it's a bad thing.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tumblr_lw6f1s17ni1r318c8o1_500.jpg
I have been turtlenecked :(

Never like turtlenecks. Just horrendous.

But, have you considered getting some APC jeans? I cycle a lot, which means my thighs are disproportionate to the rest of my body, but APC seems to fit. You're gonna have to sacrifice calf narrowness though, which might be a better look on you anyway.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads